Anyone Start Running In Their 50s?

Options
I haven't really done any running since I was a kid. However, sometimes when I'm walking on the treadmill, watching people run, I almost feel like trying it. Don't want to cause myself any problems, but I do like the idea of burning more calories and being able to run if I needed to - like if a bear was chasing me.

Replies

• healthfulnow
    healthfulnow Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started running a little over a year ago. Since that time, I completed two 5K's (last April & June) with my best time being 27:28. I am currently signed up to do my first half marathon in April. I am 56+ y.o., a mother of three daughters (almost 30, 27, and 16); and a grandmother of two - ages 5 & 4. I have been lower than my set goal weight now for almost 1 year. I was never a runner, but I do enjoy it now. It gives me the benefits of a toner body and the ability to begin eating more foods than I previously allowed myself last year. Wish you the best!!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 51. I'm 56 now. The best way to start is to take it slow as in walk/run intervals. The Couch to 5K App is great way to start if you like those type of programs. I don't know where you live, but if it's still too cold and icy, start out on the treadmill, but get outside as soon as you can. That's what I really love about it running is being outside in the fresh air. Also I recomend getting fit with running shoes. Having the proper shoes really help against injury. At our age, our knees and joints need cushioning and support so if you run outside, try and find a track or trail. Concrete pavement is murder on the knees and back. Oh, yes, and stretch and cool down afterwards. Very important.

Again, do NOT over do it. The great thing about running is that if you start the right way (slowly), you will see improvemnt in speed and distance almost on a weekly basis. The first 5 minutes are always unpleasant but after you hit your stride, you will fall in love with it and find your self signing up for your first 5K!!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I really can't believe I'm even thinking about this. My husband would think i was crazy for sure. And he would say I'm going to cause myself more problems than it's worth.

I don't have a smart phone, so can't really do apps. I do live in the very frozen, very snowy North. I just got in from walking, and 15 minutes at a time is all I can stand out there today, which is warmer than it has been for ages.

I do live out in the country, and there are lots of trails around here.

I'll have to think about it. I've always kind of thought that humans weren't really made to run on a regular basis without wearing something out.
  • Loprez
    Loprez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to run regularly about 10 years ago. I'm 45 now and thought I would start again and ended up with bursitis in my knee. So painful. I know people that run in their 50s and they seem fine. I guess it depends on the individual. I'm not running anymore but have joined the YMCA and I'm doing classes. So far the knee is holding up. Good luck.
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 58 and started the C25K 8 weeks ago. I graduated today, my first 5k is Feb 8th. Will be glad when the weather breaks so I can run more outside.
  • lucycw87
    lucycw87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My mum started in her late forties or early fifties (can't remember which now) and has since run the London marathon and other half marathons etc! She's probably been running about eight years now and doesn't have any problems. She runs with a group of women of a similar age where most of them had started around the same age as her. The advice is no different to anyone who starts running, start so slowly that you could walk faster, walk a bit and run a bit and gradually build up, don't try to do too much too soon - remember the tortoise and the hare! My mum isn't the fastest but she can go the distance!
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I haven't really done any running since I was a kid. However, sometimes when I'm walking on the treadmill, watching people run, I almost feel like trying it. Don't want to cause myself any problems, but I do like the idea of burning more calories and being able to run if I needed to - like if a bear was chasing me.

Do you live in a Forrest? Seriously, you really should check with your doctor to see what he/she thinks. You could easily blow out a knee if you have too much weight.
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you can work out on a treadmill, then I expect you can run. Pace yourself at first. Since you already walk, try increasing the pace of your stride. Then maybe mix running with walking, before moving to just jogging. Find a duration that you are comfortable with at first, too. Your body is usually good about telling you when you are overdoing it (I know mine is!).
    Glad that you are not letting the weather be an excuse to not get out and do something. That is far too easy for us to do who live a lot farther south!
    Give it a try soon. I think you'll find you are able to exceed your expectations!
    Congrats also on how far you have come on your journey to your weight loss goal - that's awesome!
  • queenveef
    queenveef Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a smart phone, there are two groups on mfp that could possibly help:
    - Couch to 5k Running Program and
    - C25k Friends

I am not a runner but want to continue to challenge myself on this journey and plan to start this program in March/April when the snow disappears. I've already looked at a number of 5k walk/run events in my area and have made an arrangement with a friend to sign up for a couple thus making me accountable.

I also want to be able to run away from that bear or better still those pesky Zombies :)

I may not like it but I won't know until I try :)
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I really can't believe I'm even thinking about this. My husband would think i was crazy for sure. And he would say I'm going to cause myself more problems than it's worth.

I don't have a smart phone, so can't really do apps. I do live in the very frozen, very snowy North. I just got in from walking, and 15 minutes at a time is all I can stand out there today, which is warmer than it has been for ages.

I'll have to think about it. I've always kind of thought that humans weren't really made to run on a regular basis without wearing something out.

You don't need a smart phone. If you have an iPod or MP3 player you can download audio podcasts to your player. I used the NHS Couch25K 9 week programme. I was a non runner last year and now run regular all because of the programme. When you do start to run, don't think of yourself having to run like mad, you just take it gentle. I was told to imagine running alongside a long hedge where the people on the other side could just see your head bobbing up and down as you ran. To them it should look like you're just walking fast. This image really helped me achieve a gentle running pace.

Running on a treadmill will perhaps be easier on your knees. Some people land really hard on the treadmill, the noise can be deafening. You should aim to land lightly. At first you will feel heavy landing but as time goes on, you'll find it'll get easier. If all else fails, up the speed on the treadmill a bit and aim to do a brisk walk. Go for it, you've got nothing to lose by trying.
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I started running last year at the age of 56. Have never run before and it never occurred to me I could, but was looking for a form of exercise that was a bit more intense than recreational cycling and walking, really so I could get my exercise done in less time! I did a C25k program, which is just slowly increasing running intervals and less walking - there were times I found it hard, but just persisted and did the program exactly. New running shoes important and good sports bra essential! Here I am 7 months on and much to my complete surprise I have come to love it. I don't race - just get out in my local community and run by the beach or through parks. Sometimes only 30 mins, but up to 1 hour plus. Not fast, but that's not important to me. I'm actually rather pleased with myself! Just start really slowly, not consecutive days, and persisted - good luck to you. :smile:
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I used to have bursitis in both hips. Went away in one, but never really went away in the other. Never had it in my knees, but one of my knees has always hurt more when a ride a horse. It's okay after I get off and walk around a little.
    I used to run regularly about 10 years ago. I'm 45 now and thought I would start again and ended up with bursitis in my knee. So painful. I know people that run in their 50s and they seem fine. I guess it depends on the individual. I'm not running anymore but have joined the YMCA and I'm doing classes. So far the knee is holding up. Good luck.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Well, I don't have so much weight anymore, but am due to go to the doctor, so will ask her about it when I do.

I do live out in the country, and we have had bears close to the house. Our neighbors have had them on their deck eating out of their bird feeders. We also have wolves and cougars around.

Do you live in a Forrest? Seriously, you really should check with your doctor to see what he/she thinks. You could easily blow out a knee if you have too much weight.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Thank you so much. I have been motivated to get out and walk even when it has been zero degrees and snowy. As long as I put a scarf around my face and long underwear on my legs, I'm good!
    If you can work out on a treadmill, then I expect you can run. Pace yourself at first. Since you already walk, try increasing the pace of your stride. Then maybe mix running with walking, before moving to just jogging. Find a duration that you are comfortable with at first, too. Your body is usually good about telling you when you are overdoing it (I know mine is!).
    Glad that you are not letting the weather be an excuse to not get out and do something. That is far too easy for us to do who live a lot farther south!
    Give it a try soon. I think you'll find you are able to exceed your expectations!
    Congrats also on how far you have come on your journey to your weight loss goal - that's awesome!
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Thank you. I will check them out.[

quote]
    If you don't have a smart phone, there are two groups on mfp that could possibly help:
    - Couch to 5k Running Program and
    - C25k Friends

I am not a runner but want to continue to challenge myself on this journey and plan to start this program in March/April when the snow disappears. I've already looked at a number of 5k walk/run events in my area and have made an arrangement with a friend to sign up for a couple thus making me accountable.

I also want to be able to run away from that bear or better still those pesky Zombies :)

I may not like it but I won't know until I try :)
    [/quote]
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Well, I do have an iPod.....

You don't need a smart phone. If you have an iPod or MP3 player you can download audio podcasts to your player. I used the NHS Couch25K 9 week programme. I was a non runner last year and now run regular all because of the programme. When you do start to run, don't think of yourself having to run like mad, you just take it gentle. I was told to imagine running alongside a long hedge where the people on the other side could just see your head bobbing up and down as you ran. To them it should look like you're just walking fast. This image really helped me achieve a gentle running pace.

Running on a treadmill will perhaps be easier on your knees. Some people land really hard on the treadmill, the noise can be deafening. You should aim to land lightly. At first you will feel heavy landing but as time goes on, you'll find it'll get easier. If all else fails, up the speed on the treadmill a bit and aim to do a brisk walk. Go for it, you've got nothing to lose by trying.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Do any of you get side aches? Back in school I had a hard time running because of those.
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi, only got a stitch once, sore shins a few times but not persistent, bit stiff and sore in lower back when I try and do a longer run, a bit of a niggly knee, but nothing that didn't settle with a day off, a hot pack and paracetamol. From my experience starting out really slowly, and progressing really slowly is key, and not consecutive days. Good shoes really important.
    No problems with ice and cold here, - we are in the middle of a heat wave - 107F predicted today, so getting out at dawn and running before it heats up, and drinking heaps of water is imperative. No dangerous bears here, the Koalas don't attack people!
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Do any of you get side aches? Back in school I had a hard time running because of those.

I read that you need to make sure you're hydrated before a run, so I always drink plenty of water an hour or so before my planned run. I have to make sure I squeeze every last drop out of my bladder before I go out though (been caught short once or twice). Breathing technique is important. Nice steady in and out breaths help and I was told to push through my belly when I breath out, it's a difficult technique to master, especially while running (makes me want to pee) but if you can get close to the technique it really does help avoid stitch. I've never experienced full on stitch, although I've had a little discomfort which, when I focus on my breathing soon disappears. I think also aim to keep your body upright, don't lean over and don't have your arms crossing over in front of you as you run. Hope this helps.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    On a serious note - is it really possible to out-run a bear?

As for running, I'm 52 (and a half...) and only got into running a few years ago. I've done several 10ks, this year i want to get my time under an hour for that. I do a 5k ParkRun every Saturday morning (heading off shortly), and my best time is currently 26.44. Last year I did my first half-marathon. I'm not sure I wnat to run longer distance stuff, I'm not particualrly fast and so long runs are just one big slog. But I'll be exploring other fun runs - mud runs, waggy races with my dog, colour runs etc.