What am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Are you still a vegan?

I'm not an expert, just someone who is on a journey to learn more about nutrition and exercise.

It seems to me that you are exercising too much. Erickirb (screen name) might have hit a good point for you. If you are eating 1000-1100 calories per day, but burning off 700 exercising, you are effectively in a state of STARVATION. Starvation means your body is going to hang on to as much body fat as possible. Do you know what I mean? This is my understanding.

Also, have you ever entertained the thought of leaving your vegan ways? Have you considered adding a bit of animal fat to your diet? Perhaps oily fish like salmon or mackerel? Perhaps a bit of dairy (eggs, cheese)? I would be willing to wager that if you ate 1500 calories per day, and stopped over-exercising, you would maintain a very healthy weight, and nourish your body with the nutrients needed to help get your hormones back on track. What do you think?

I am still a vegan, and have been for the past 2 years. Since then, I've cleaned up my diet a LOT and no longer eat soy, faux meat/dairy products or gluten. I honestly feel a lot healthier eating this way and I don't have any intention of eating animal products anytime soon. I tried eggs a few months ago, which I haven't eaten in years, and had a bad reaction to them. I do get plenty of fat in the form of coconut oil, avocado, raw nuts/seeds/nut butters. However, I do believe that cutting back on exercise and eating more than I currently am may make a difference and I may hopefully stop gaining weight and instead maintain where I am.

I would echo the term 'quasi-recovery'. By choosing a life-style where you eat mainly 'safe' foods you have not actually dealt with you issues with regards to food and reasonable intake thereof. You are not simply a vegan, you are even further restricting your intake. That you consider soy and gluten 'unclean' is very telling.

You will not keep your adolescent body for the rest of your life. You need to meet with a therapist who is experienced with ED patients to deal with both your issues regarding the food you eat and your weight.
  • jackiewain
    Options
    Why dont you forget about the scales and start measuring yourself with a tape? If the extra weight is muscle which your high protein diet would suggest is it , why is it important what you weigh?
  • ashielauren
    Options
    Why dont you forget about the scales and start measuring yourself with a tape? If the extra weight is muscle which your high protein diet would suggest is it , why is it important what you weigh?

I should have clarified that I'm not as concerned with the number on the scale as I used to be, I was just upset that I've gained 5 pounds since May and I'm unsure if it is muscle or not, since I've never had my body fat measured. I would actually love to have more muscle and shed some body fat to have a more lean look! I just don't have access to a gym right now but hopefully in the next few months once I find a job (just graduated college last month) I can focus more on lifting heavy to achieve that look.
  • schipigr101
    Options
    General Recommendation: If you do not have access to the gym, adopt yoga. Additionally, eliminate simple sugars from your diet.

Specific Food Recommendations:
    The world is a vast and beautiful place with a great variety of acceptable all natural foods. For instance, you have the following of which we consider our staples:

Proteins: Organic Chicken, Turkey, and Lean Meat, Fish, Non-GMO Whey Protein, and Milk
    Fruits: Strawberries and other Berries, Apples, Mangos, Papaya, Grapefruit, and Cactus Fruit. But any organic fruit would help clean your system and help you ensure the best healthy you. For the most part, the anti-oxidants and other nutritious properties help fight diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure (the more color variety the better).
    Vegetables: Mushrooms, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Scallions, Bok Choy, and Kale. But similar as fruit, any organic vegetable will have the same effect (the more color variety the better).
    Nuts: Almonds, Peanuts, and Cashews. The good “unsaturated” fats and omegas help satiate hunger and improve the overall system of your body. There are other high nutrition nuts such as Walnuts, Acorns, Pecans, and Pistachios.
    Legumes: Lentils, Chickpeas, Alfalfa, and other beans. Essentially, these are seeds or fruits from plants that help ensure proper bodily functions. They are agriculturally cultivated and of course, all natural.
    Fats and Oils: We know this may be hard to believe, but in order to lose fat you must eat a little fat. A tablespoon of olive, coconut, hemp, and saffron oils can help lubricate joints and organs. But beware, over consumption would then render this unhealthy.

Reference Source: www.youarethebestyou.com
  • ashielauren
    Options
    General Recommendation: If you do not have access to the gym, adopt yoga. Additionally, eliminate simple sugars from your diet.

Specific Food Recommendations:
    The world is a vast and beautiful place with a great variety of acceptable all natural foods. For instance, you have the following of which we consider our staples:

Proteins: Organic Chicken, Turkey, and Lean Meat, Fish, Non-GMO Whey Protein, and Milk
    Fruits: Strawberries and other Berries, Apples, Mangos, Papaya, Grapefruit, and Cactus Fruit. But any organic fruit would help clean your system and help you ensure the best healthy you. For the most part, the anti-oxidants and other nutritious properties help fight diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure (the more color variety the better).
    Vegetables: Mushrooms, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Scallions, Bok Choy, and Kale. But similar as fruit, any organic vegetable will have the same effect (the more color variety the better).
    Nuts: Almonds, Peanuts, and Cashews. The good “unsaturated” fats and omegas help satiate hunger and improve the overall system of your body. There are other high nutrition nuts such as Walnuts, Acorns, Pecans, and Pistachios.
    Legumes: Lentils, Chickpeas, Alfalfa, and other beans. Essentially, these are seeds or fruits from plants that help ensure proper bodily functions. They are agriculturally cultivated and of course, all natural.
    Fats and Oils: We know this may be hard to believe, but in order to lose fat you must eat a little fat. A tablespoon of olive, coconut, hemp, and saffron oils can help lubricate joints and organs. But beware, over consumption would then render this unhealthy.

Reference Source: www.youarethebestyou.com

Thanks, but I already do yoga 1-2x per week as I think I mentioned in my OP and I also said I've eliminated all simple sugars and get all my sugars from fruit and veggies. I'm just wondering if there's any possible way I can build muscle/lose a few pounds of fat doing at home strength training and cardio workouts. I only have 10 lb dumbbells so not exactly heavy lifting lol
  • ashielauren
    Options
    And look at this woman's experience of how clean eating and overexercising led to a suppressed thyroid and weight gain: http://www.thegreatfitnessexperiment.com/2013/10/how-my-exercise-addiction-suppressed-my-thyroid-and-made-me-gain-10-pounds-in-one-month-research-the-relationship-between-exercise-and-hypothyroidism.html

BTW - she reversed it by eating more, working out less.

I read the article--very interesting! It's crazy how we're always told to eat less, move more to lose weight but that going too far with that can lead to weight gain. I'm hoping that my body's just telling me to listen to it more, instead of being hyper-focused on eating clean and working out as much as possible every day.