vegetarian lack iron

Options
wordena
wordena Posts: 177 Member
Im a vegetarian and I lack iron in my diet. Im usually at about 20% of my daily needs. I can usually feel when im particularly low. I can take iron pills but I would much rather get my iron from my food. Any suggestions?

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds? A lot of calories though.
  • betweenthesedays
    betweenthesedays Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    -Cook in cast ironpans
    -Pair you iron intake food wise with high vitamin c foods, it helps you absorb more
    -Follow some of the suggestions here - http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php - it's meant for vegans, but the same info applies for vegetarians.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this source! I eat many of the things on the list. Is it possible mfp just doesn't have iron measurements on foods listed?
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    - Eat more legumes (esp. lentils), tofu

- Cook in a cast iron, esp. acidic foods.

- Blackstrap molasses

- If all else, eat some fortified cereals (Cheerios, grits, etc.)
  • x1v16
    x1v16 Posts: 66
    Options
    My quaker instant oatmeal has massive amounts of iron. I suppose it is enriched with it. I ate 370 calories of oatmeal today and got 50% of my iron requirements from it. It appears I rarely reach my iron goals though so maybe I'll make oatmeal a more regular occurrence.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I hear beets have a lot of iron. Also greens have a lot of iron like kale, spinach and cabbage.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    yeah enriched iron foods are your best bet - the veggies and foods that do have iron you would need to consume massive amounts of

if you dont like the iron pills but end up taking them - invest in a stool softener :PP
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this source! I eat many of the things on the list. Is it possible mfp just doesn't have iron measurements on foods listed?

You should check the entries you use for logging your food; some users don't include all the information from food labels, maybe because they don't track anything other than calories and macros. Look for the entries with no asterisk; they seem to be drawn from the USDA nutrient database.

As others have mentioned, fortified cereals are an easy way to go. Most beans have a fair amount of iron -- about 20% of the Daily Value in a cup. Teff (the grain used in injera, or Ethiopian flat bread) is a really good source.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I tried my darnedest to get my iron through food and despite my best efforts my bloodwork kept coming up low. (Vegetarian 20 yrs)

I started taking an iron supplement last summer and in December my blood levels were excellent. I take it with magnesium and I I don't get constipated from it. I wish I had just taken the supplement sooner- it was a PITA to try and balance my meals so I didn't have dairy with non-heme iron sources and get it all in. I don't really want to spend that kind of brainspace on iron when I could fix the issue with a supplement, personally.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Also a vegetarian and I often don't even hit 20%. It's frustrating because I eat greens and beans most days. I do cook in a cast iron pan which obviously doesn't get on MFP. I feel fine so I'm not too worried about it but even when I try to eat iron-rich foods it doesn't seem to affect my percentage on MFP.
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Mucho spinach! I get a fair amount over 100% on spinach heavy days.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Spirulina (1 tsp): 5 mg
    Cooked soybeans (1/2 cup): 4.4 mg
    Pumpkin seeds (1 ounce): 4.2 mg
    Quinoa (4 ounces): 4 mg
    Blackstrap molasses (1 tbsp): 4 mg
    Tomato paste (4 ounces): 3.9 mg
    White beans (1/2 cup) 3.9 mg
    Cooked spinach (1/2 cup): 3.2 mg
    Dried peaches (6 halves): 3.1 mg
    Prune juice (8 ounces): 3 mg
    Lentils (4 ounces): 3 mg

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/12-top-vegan-iron-sources.html#ixzz2rxFJgSq2
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Also I'm not sure how you feel about meat imitations, but Gardein and stuff are pretty high in iron.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    get a blood test done to check your actual iron levels. I thought I had low iron, because I eat on average 19-20% and I was always tired. The test came back with high iron instead, which also causes tiredness, so me eating that little iron is encouraged and overall it needs to be monitored.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Fortified breakfast cereals usually give 30 to 50 percent of your RDI per serving.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to be an anemic vegetarian. Eat your greens!
    Iron pills and shots never worked well for me. I gave 'em up many years ago. I've been vegetarian for over 20 years yet even as a meat eater I was borderline anemic (low iron); been that way all my adult life --until now. For the last two years I have been eating LOTS of green leafy vegetables. Lots of them. Within the first 6 months of eating this way, my blood work showed I was no longer in the anemic range. And it's stayed normal ever since. I feel great!
    My diet is LOTS of leafy green vegetables, all sorts of other vegetables, some whole fruits, nuts, seeds, soy, avocados, legumes of all kinds, and a limited variety of starches (brown rice, sweet potatoes, yams, quinoa, etc.). Dairy of any kind is less than 5% of my calories (most days 0%). Works for me, and I've got lots of lab tests to prove it.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Is it possible mfp just doesn't have iron measurements on foods listed?
    Yes. You can't trust every entry on MFP.
    You really don't know what your iron levels are unless you get a blood test. Don't go by the numbers on MFP.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I often get between 100-300% of daily iron from diet alone. I'm vegan and do not take an iron supplement. The primary source is meatless vegan products high in protein, soy based, and high in iron. Today, I'm at 259% because I had a double helping of meatless griller strips with flaxseed. I couldn't resist.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin every day.

Since watching a programme that said that since early 1900's our foods have something like half the vitamins, and that if you buy pre-cut veggies, then they've already lost some of the vits, it's just reaffirmed my decision. Been taking them for years.

I'm veggie and used to be anaemic.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

~More likely this. Some don't even list protein.