What to do when you "skinny fat"

Options
Hey,

So, I am trying to help out my bf's parents in losing some weight they only slightly overweight and I know how to help his mom, but his dad is what I would call skinny fat. Now, my interpretation of skinny fat is when you more or less in your ideal BMI/weight range, but you store most of your fat in one area (usually tummy).

His Dad is skinny everywhere really except the tummy area, now yes some people have a slight tummy, but his tummy is quite round (think beer belly gut). The question I have in cases like this where it really is just one area that's big is it best to eat at a deficit or workout?

They not so into a set gym style workout, they prefer walking and possibly jogging. So, yes just checking with some people in the know if what I have been telling him is correct. That with belly fat diet plays a huge role in losing it and that I can't guarantee he will lose weight in the tummy, but since I can't really see where else the weight can come off from that he will most likely lose weight there. That his love for grapetiser is adding to the belly in the sense they both can be quiet good at eating healthy, they can cut out sweets etc, but his Dad is quite fond of the "tisers" so yes is it still okay for him to have grapetiser etc if he stays within his calories?

I know the added sugar is not good for you, but yes just checking if there is anything more I can tell him to help him lose the belly.

PS: edited to add that I used the term skinny fat since I've seen it on here before and figured people would know what I'm on about.

Replies

• chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "skinny fat"!!...how rude. Never heard it till I came on mfp. Before giving your boyfriend's family advice re:their diet, maybe you should direct them to their family Dr for professional advice first!...just a thought, mind
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "skinny fat"!!...how rude. Never heard it till I came on mfp. Before giving your boyfriend's family advice re:their diet, maybe you should direct them to their family Dr for professional advice first!...just a thought, mind

Uhm? okay.

Thanks
  • curds
    Options
    Have them try AdvoCare 24 DC. It's a lifesaver. Message me if I can help in anyway.

Hey, I've never heard of advocare is it a program if its a supplement of some kind, I'm pretty sure its not sold where I am.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're using the term "skinny fat" correctly, but based on what you're saying, it sounds like the fat he does have is mostly in one place (which is normal). While exercise is always good, this sounds like a straight forward case of needing to lose a "beer gut" via caloric deficit.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Have them try AdvoCare 24 DC. It's a lifesaver. Message me if I can help in anyway.

Hey, I've never heard of advocare is it a program if its a supplement of some kind, I'm pretty sure its not sold where I am.

Advocare 24 day challenge is fine, but that person is trying to sell you something.

You can't spot reduce. They're just going to have to adjust their eating and/or exercise to lose whatever excess weight they have.
  • curds
    Options
    I don't think you're using the term "skinny fat" correctly, but based on what you're saying, it sounds like the fat he does have is mostly in one place (which is normal). While exercise is always good, this sounds like a straight forward case of needing to lose a "beer gut" via caloric deficit.

Yes, probably should have just used that instead of "skinny fat" but whether my idea of it is right or wrong that's what people in my circle use for a "beer belly" (again should have probably just opted not to use it too late now you can't edit a subject line" which is also why I clarified what I meant by the term "skinny fat".

Thanks again they asked for my help on weight loss since I lost quite a bit of weight and they wanted to try what I did. I just wasn't sure if a deficit was appropriate if you were in a healthy BMI range. Again no disrespect meant by using the term and my opinion of course does not trump a doctor's they just asked for my help.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options

So how would you describe someone who is in a decent BMI range (Say 24), but whose body fat level marks them as being borderline obese or higher (Like a male @ 32%)?
  • curds
    Options

Advocare 24 day challenge is fine, but that person is trying to sell you something.

You can't spot reduce. They're just going to have to adjust their eating and/or exercise to lose whatever excess weight they have.

lol Thanks, trust me I know you can't spot reduce lol sigh hardwork and patience I know all about that.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Hah, I find the term "skinny fat" to be pretty funny, to be honest, because that described me exactly before I got in shape. I wasn't obese but I had growing waddly thighs.

If they don't have a lot to lose, sounds like they just need to track what they're eating and engage in a modest walking routine. So a little of both eating at a deficit and getting some exercise.

No reason why he can't enjoy his "tisers" if he's tracking it and stays within a set calorie goal.
  • curds
    Options
    Hah, I find the term "skinny fat" to be pretty funny, to be honest, because that described me exactly before I got in shape. I wasn't obese but I had growing waddly thighs.

If they don't have a lot to lose, sounds like they just need to track what they're eating and engage in a modest walking routine. So a little of both eating at a deficit and getting some exercise.

No reason why he can't enjoy his "tisers" if he's tracking it and stays within a set calorie goal.

LOl feel like I'm quoting everyone my bad, he will love that and yes its his only vice really. So cool seems like everyone is in agreement then.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

So how would you describe someone who is in a decent BMI range (Say 24), but whose body fat level marks them as being borderline obese or higher (Like a male @ 32%)?

Unfit broadly covers it.

I also find the term broadly meaningless.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The first thing to look at is body fat percentage. If overall body fat is high, then the abdominal fat will be reduced with an overall exercise and diet program. If body fat is lower or in/near a recommended range, then the excess accumulation of body fat on the abdominal area is an inherited condition. No matter how much body fat is lost, a disproportionate amount will still be stored in the abdominal area.

In either case an aggressive resistance training program is probably the best intervention.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The first thing to look at is body fat percentage. If overall body fat is high, then the abdominal fat will be reduced with an overall exercise and diet program. If body fat is lower or in/near a recommended range, then the excess accumulation of body fat on the abdominal area is an inherited condition. No matter how much body fat is lost, a disproportionate amount will still be stored in the abdominal area.

In either case an aggressive resistance training program is probably the best intervention.

I agree with this.

Going back to the description "skinny fat". To my way of thinking someone who is just within the normal bmi range is not "skinny". Neither are they fat. They are of a normal weight but may have a slightly raised bidy fat percentage.

A skinny person (to my wsy of thinking) is someone bmi of 18-20 and are DEFINETLY not fat and probably have a normal body fat percentage.

What I find on this site is that young girls wanting to get strong who have a low/normal bmi with a NORMAL body fat percentage of 20-25 % descrbe themselves as "skinny fat", which to my way of thinking sends allllll the wrong messages to other young people.

Do remember "skinny fat" is NOT a medical terminology!

As for a man in the normal bmi range with a pot belly, my husband has this problem... then he got gardening!!