when lifting, when did u see results?

Options
2»

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Between weeks 3 and 4 I noticed a visible difference in my stomach. Now I am at 6 weeks at the same weight on the scale, but in a swim suit I'm looking much better, especially in my arms and stomach. My jeans are looser also. I have to pull up a now saggy pair that fit snuggly 6 weeks ago. Lifting rocks!

that sounds fantastic! my main issue is my belly so i hope to get results like that too!

You will. My belly is nearly flat (see my new profile pics) and things are getting "all the toned" lol
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    To all the lifters, how did you know what lifts to do? You are inspiring me even more!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    When I was lifting (heavy, but machines) and fatter, I noticed very little change in appearance. Yes, I became tons stronger, more firm, and I could feel muscle jump that hadn't been there before, but I couldn't see it.

When I dropped a fair bit of fat, suddenly I could the muscle I'd been developing.

I've dropped even more fat since then and have some definition. Just last week, I switched over from machines to free barbells - I'm following Starting Strength. It took two sessions of squats to notice a difference in my quads - they're more compact and rounded. When I flex, definition pops above my knee that was not there before. I'm sure I'm the only one that would really notice at this point, but I'm happy so far.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 'new rules of lifting for women'. Whether you follow the program or not, good information on eating an what is happening with your body.
    Noticedy butt lifting, and some pants tighter, around 4 week (lift 2-3, mostly 2 times a week). Weight increased first weeks about 2 lbs but now I think my metabolism has kicked in because I'm hungry earlier for supper, but get full faster and have dropped almost all 2 of those lbs. my natural waist, biceps and back are where I are it but my butt is where I feel it.
  • 93nan
    93nan Posts: 130
    Options
    Great question OP!
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Also suggest compound exercises with free weights so you can be at the gym a shorter period of time with same results since they work out more than a targeted exercise.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping I see changes soon! I'm unable to use free weights or the gym right now (aside from some 5&10 lb dumbbells at home-but I've no idea what to do with those)...but I've been working out with a suspension trainer at home. Just a week in, but my legs already feel stronger. I thought I was insane for thinking that, but after reading these replies-maybe I'm not. :)
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    To all the lifters, how did you know what lifts to do? You are inspiring me even more!

Pick up a tried and true program like one of the following:
    New Rules of Lifting (For Women)
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5

Do them according to the program, frequency and workout rotation, religiously. Don't even think about adapting them until you've perfected your form.

New Rules is a lot of different lifts which can be confusing especially with the rotation of workouts and phases. Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5 provide more of a quick and dirty approach and focus on working the big 4 compound lifts, squats, deadlifts, bench and strict press along with some very smartly chosen accessory movements, which will target all of your muscle groups pretty well.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    how long did it take to see a difference, and what kept you going?

my G/F went to gym first time in her life twice per week for an hour with a personal trainer and within 3 months not changing a thing she ate.....

She lost 4Lb in weight but a massive 12 inches of her arms chest waist and leg measurements when adding the total loss up and achieved the toned look most look for, but admittedly she looked good before she started !
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I saw strength results almost immediately. Within two weeks I'd stopped having pain in my knees when I ran. Within a month I stopped needing any modifications to exercises due to my weak core.

I suspect my weight loss was primarily from my diet, not my weight training.

I saw muscles appearing within the first couple of months - I have a lot of fat on top of them still, but my biceps and my calves started to show serious definition pretty fast. 80 lbs down and I can really see what I've been building under the fat. It's kind of awesome.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Pick up a tried and true program like one of the following:
    New Rules of Lifting (For Women)
    Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5

Do them according to the program, frequency and workout rotation, religiously. Don't even think about adapting them until you've perfected your form.

New Rules is a lot of different lifts which can be confusing especially with the rotation of workouts and phases. Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5 provide more of a quick and dirty approach and focus on working the big 4 compound lifts, squats, deadlifts, bench and strict press along with some very smartly chosen accessory movements, which will target all of your muscle groups pretty well.

This.

I started with Stronglift 5x5 and doing Strong Curves right now. It seem really intimidating at first. I found youtube to be very helpful because I could watch what I was supposed to be doing.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bump for more awesome answers :)
  • beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've only been lifting now since January 13th. I've been starting to notice visual changes already a little over 3 weeks later. I started at 24.7% body fat (using military body fat calculator at http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/), and as of last night 22.8% (1.9% difference). Starting weight 206.5, and ending weight as of this morning was 203.8 (2.7lb difference).

I only work out 3 days a week for about 1-1.5 hours each session, and I've started noticing more visual definition in my legs, arms, and I think I'm starting to have ab definition at the top part of my abs, but it's kind of hard to tell, and maybe it's more my hopes than it is actually coming in lol! The wife seems to think I'm getting visual abs too, so maybe I am.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    I've only been lifting now since January 13th. I've been starting to notice visual changes already a little over 3 weeks later. I started at 24.7% body fat (using military body fat calculator at http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/), and as of last night 22.8% (1.9% difference). Starting weight 206.5, and ending weight as of this morning was 203.8 (2.7lb difference).

I only work out 3 days a week for about 1-1.5 hours each session, and I've started noticing more visual definition in my legs, arms, and I think I'm starting to have ab definition at the top part of my abs, but it's kind of hard to tell, and maybe it's more my hopes than it is actually coming in lol! The wife seems to think I'm getting visual abs too, so maybe I am.

thats awesome!!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! Very helpful! I am three weeks into New Rules for Women and was wondering this exact thing. Awesome!
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Started seeing muscle results at about 4 weeks. I have been taking protein powder, so my muscles are getting defined quickly. After only two weeks, the friend I work out with started pointing out that I was getting stronger. :) It's been 5 weeks now and my muscle gain is coming along quite nicely. :bigsmile:
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! Very helpful! I am three weeks into New Rules for Women and was wondering this exact thing. Awesome!

no prob! its great to read and helps keep us more motivated :)
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    Started seeing muscle results at about 4 weeks. I have been taking protein powder, so my muscles are getting defined quickly. After only two weeks, the friend I work out with started pointing out that I was getting stronger. :) It's been 5 weeks now and my muscle gain is coming along quite nicely. :bigsmile:

awesome! :drinker:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Just popping in here to say that I started lifting in December & bought a size smaller jeans today. (Little happy dance)
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Took me 4 years to develop as much muscle mass as I have. :) Definitley worth every rep :) I love my muscles :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!