Running in the rain :(

Options
Blerg! I live in Oregon. Very cold and wet just now. I need to get out and run more often, but find the idea of facing the elements in the wee hours of morning daunting. The husband is unemployed just now so a gym membership (and access to a treadmill) is not a current option. Anyone got any tips, tricks, motivational mojo that will help me face the big cold wet?

Replies

• krystie99
    krystie99 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    An awesome playlist for your ipod... "singing in the rain" might have to be on it lol
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    If you want to do it badly enough, you'll do it. Nothing we can say will make you.

Just throw on a baseball hat, layer up (treat the weather as if it's 15-20 degrees warmer than it is) and go!
  • katiepb
    Options
    Invest in ear warmers, ear-warmer head band, and/or some gloves. When your hands and head are warm it is MUCH less scary to go out into the cold. Sometimes I find I can run even further in the cold because my legs get a little numb!

Also, treat yourself to something really hot at the end of your run--like a capuccino with skim milk. A tall starbuck Americano is only $1.85...I know having one of those at the end is motivation for me!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    it really isn't that bad...I have a wind breaker that keeps me dry in a drizzle but not in RAIN...a hat is a good idea and just tell yourself it is fun
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    call your local high school and inquire if they have any open gym/fitness room hours for members of the community... some do!
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I ran home from work tonight - it was pitch black, cold and raining. I learned to love running in the rain years ago as it rains most days in Sheffield England. The severity of the rain differs between light rain and heavy showers but I pull on my baseball cap (I wear glasses so its essential) turn my music on and start running.

It has its plus points too - its stops me overheating and there's less people on the pavements too.

When it gets really cold and it snows then gloves and an earwarmer headband are essential.
  • BethFox
    BethFox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the tips. Think Ill take the pooch out for a walk/jog this evening. :happy: