How to be healthy during Super Bowl party

Options
I love, love, love eating at parties. I love trying everything available on the table, and I would feel really down if I were snacking on celery while everyone else had buffalo dip. I'm trying to lose about 5 - 10 pounds and I'm only three weeks into my healthy lifestyle changes.. It's been going well so far, but how do you deal with an event that you associate with food? Is it enough to go for a run in the morning and then take smaller portions during the party? Should I eat really lightly all day to save calories for later?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Is it enough to go for a run in the morning and then take smaller portions during the party? Should I eat really lightly all day to save calories for later?
    Yes and yes, both are fine strategies. You can even save up calories for a few days before if you want.

Also you can bring a dish that is healthy- like tzatiki (sp? Sorry) dip made with greek yogurt.

Also know that its not the end of the world if you go over. Just start fresh Monday morning.
  • jojo28012
    jojo28012 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been worried about this too. I LOVE guacamole, chips and Corona. Not too mention chips, dip, cheese and crackers, LOL. I had a plan to run in the late afternoon so maybe my metabolism will still be higher. I can feel it's going to already be a day with a higher food intake though. Anyone else have any good suggestions?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Stay at home and have a cup of tea. Super Bowl... yawn.
  • Big_Banana
    Options
    To be healthy at a Super Bowl party, you should have been eating right and exercising for approximately 6 months prior. For some people, more or less, depending.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Extra exercise over the weekend, limit portions and alcohol but don't let it stress you out.

Not an issue for me...living overseas, I'll be cheering for the Seahawks starting at midnight and have to work the next day. :indifferent: :sick: My superbowl drink of choice will be coffee.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    1. Give yourself permission to eat at maintenance that day if this is really important to you. But LOG EVERYTHING.
    2. Plan ahead - we all know what types of foods we'll encounter here so pre-plan and enter into your log the buffalo wings, beer, potato chips, chili, all the things you know you will want to eat. That way you will know the damage and you can budget. Maybe have one less beer so you can have one more wing.
    3. Don't knock the celery. Eat vegies with everything. Take a vegetable platter with greek yogurt dip. You'll be surprised at how many people will eat it.
    4. Drink water between each beer (or other alcoholic beverage or soda).
    5. Don't go to the party hungry. Have a bowl of hot and low calorie soup before you go. It is filling and not damaging and won't take that many calories away from the party.
    6. When you are out of calories, say "I'm done" and switch to water/coffee.
    7. Last, but most importantly, yell GO BRONCOS every two minutes. It is the secret to burning off Superbowl calories. And be sure to jump up and down every time they score.:smile:

ENJOY YOURSELF because this is a lifestyle change you'll need to do forever. Learn how to do it now.
  • D_squareG
    Options
    One more thing I find useful. Don't stand next to the food.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If you're that into chowing down during a Superbowl party why not just save up all your calories for the day for the actual party. That should be enough for any reasonable enjoyment, and if not, you can always cut some off tomorrow and add some exercise.

You're making this way too deep. On day isn't going to do much, unless it triggers days and weeks of abandon.
  • D_squareG
    Options
    If you're that into chowing down during a Superbowl party why not just save up all your calories for the day for the actual party. That should be enough for any reasonable enjoyment, and if not, you can always cut some off tomorrow and add some exercise.

You're making this way too deep. On day isn't going to do much, unless it triggers days and weeks of abandon.

No offense, but I can easily eat my entire day's allotment in buffalo wings. Not to mention the beer, chips, dhili. I think you're minimizing the damage that can be done. It could easily undo a week's worth of work if not managed.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the party hungry! It is the worst thing you can do. Other than that work out and earn some extra calories to enjoy the game.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

No offense, but I can easily eat my entire day's allotment in buffalo wings. Not to mention the beer, chips, dhili. I think you're minimizing the damage that can be done. It could easily undo a week's worth of work if not managed.

Yeah, I've lost close to a 130lbs.

I'm pretty sure I have decent idea how to pull this off. LOL.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Yeah, I've lost close to a 130lbs.

I'm pretty sure I have decent idea how to pull this off. LOL.

But what works for you may not work for others. We are not a one-size-fits-all nation.

So you tell someone to save "up all your calories" implies that they should starve themselves all day until its time to go to the Super Bowl party and then they are free to eat whatever they come in contact with.

You should choose your words a little more carefully.

Everyone should be able to eat anything in moderation. Instead of eating a crap ton of wings, have a couple and eat some celery or some other vegetables and dip like hummus. Just because everyone else is eating it doesn't mean you have to.

Beer. Ok, that could be a problem, but only if you make it. Again, if you want to take this serious, you'll limit your intake. For every beer you drink, drink a glass of water. You'll pee a lot but it helps.

How about bringing your own dish? There are plenty of lower calorie options for buffalo wings and all the snacks available at parties.

Whoever mentioned staying home - pretty sure that is not an option and is the most worthless information ever. As much as I could care less about this years game, part of the fun is just hanging out with friends.

Bottom line is, everyone here has an opinion and advice. If you can't control yourself then you need to figure out what your real problem is and either fix it or find a way to plan ahead and make it work.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

But what works for you may not work for others. We are not a one-size-fits-all nation.

Exactly. And just as everyone is giving their view based off what works for them, I'm giving my view based off what works for me. So why, pray tell, are you zeroing in on my strategy?

So you tell someone to save "up all your calories" implies that they should starve themselves all day

Rubbish. That is not the definition of starvation. Deciding to wait until a later time in the day to eat is something scores of millions of people on the planet do every single day. There is nothing whatsoever unhealthy about it, unless you have a disease that precludes the ability wait a few hours to eat.
    You should choose your words a little more carefully.

No, I said exactly what I wanted to say.
    Everyone should be able to eat anything in moderation.

You don't get to speak on what "everyone" should be doing. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Bottom line is, everyone here has an opinion and advice.

And you'd do well to remember that and take your own advice.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

You do realize that;s the point, right? Save the calories for the party, eat at maintenance, track everything. It's not hard. It's actually very difficult to undo an entire week's work, and even if you do, and are aware of what you are doing, one week is a drop in the bucket compared to an entire year/decade/lifetime.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    1xbsk_zpsc171e666.gif

eat all the food for SuperBowl.

Go, HAWKS.

(they are playing, right? Seattle resident fail) :ohwell:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

You do realize that;s the point, right? Save the calories for the party, eat at maintenance, track everything. It's not hard. It's actually very difficult to undo an entire week's work, and even if you do, and are aware of what you are doing, one week is a drop in the bucket compared to an entire year/decade/lifetime.

Thank you.

Can only speak for myself, but when I stopped living under the delusion that one day, or even one week, was enough to derail all my progress, it was incredibly freeing.

And this is why the vast majority of people eventually fall off the wagon, or regain their weight (myself once included). Not seeing the forest for the trees.

Drop the guilt, drop the obsession, stop the delusion that one super bowl party will do much. Your body knows how to handle it. It's only going to become a problem if you let that one day kick of months and months worth of overeating.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It's just my opinion, I'm not an expert but I will be going for a jog in the morning, ordering loads of Chinese food for the party (since it's lunar new year too) and drinking a few beers. I may eat a hundred or two fewer calories every day next week if I feel I really over did it. As long as we return to our regular healthy eating habits Monday we should all be fine! i'll also be sure to make sure to send my guests home with leftovers because I just can't say no to sweet and sour chicken. BTW, I'm pretty sure you will burn more calories if you cheer for the Seahawks....Go Hawks!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    And this is why the vast majority of people eventually fall off the wagon, or regain their weight (myself once included). Not seeing the forest for the trees.

^this

forest-trees.jpg
  • ReluctantDieter88
    ReluctantDieter88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! After over-indulging a little bit (or maybe a lot of bit) over the weekend, it was good to read comments encouraging me to not obsess and to not let it derail my whole week.