CHEAT MEAL THAN A CHEAT DAY

Options
Thought this advice was AWESOME so I wanted to share......Helps in sticking to your goal of making a "lifestyle change" instead of a "diet" where 9 out of 10 times we fall off....From the Muscle & Fitness mag, January 2014 issue --

Quote:

"Can I ever cheat on my diet?"

"Of course. The only way you can sustain a healthy eating plan is by building some leniency into it. "Plan to have one or two cheat meals per week," Miyaki says {(Nate Miyaki, C.S.S.N, a nutrition consultant in San Francisco who works with bodybuilders to prepare for contests)}. These are meals when you can eat whatever and as much as you like, but as soon as you finish, you're done. Don't let it go on all day. Incorporating booze, pizza, or whatever treats you enjoy will keep you on track long-term - not loathing the process.
"Don't give up any food you love indefinitely," says Miyaki."

There was more to this article but I loved this because this part right here is where so many of us fall off that trail and take a while to get back on.....Makes more sense to have a CHEAT MEAL instead of a cheat day....more likely to stay focused.....

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    WOW that seems like a lot. Two cheat meals a week would pretty much cancel out my deficit the other days...
  • taahine01
    taahine01 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You're right but thats why the article said one OR two.....

you customize....

the point of it was to not completely restrict yourself as that is how people would most likely fall off course or give up...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    WOW that seems like a lot. Two cheat meals a week would pretty much cancel out my deficit the other days...

I kind of agree. If your deficit is only 250 cals a day one meal/day could easily wipe that out for the week.

I'm speaking from experience. :embarassed:
  • kristilynnhales
    kristilynnhales Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal once a month.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I know the structure that Nate Miyaki generally recommends and in that context a cheat meal or two is a good idea (as the other days tend to be quite "strict")

Context innit?
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I slip all the time. I binge, I suffer the next day, I accept it and I move on. Sometimes it doesn't happen for weeks and sometimes it happens twice in one week. I don't really mind.
  • harrlea8
    harrlea8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A cheat day is good for you, And you can always recoop the next day, by resticting yourself even further. Knowing you have that one day, when you can indluge in all your cravings makes the healthy liviing life style so much easier.
    That said, Don't go crazy, like eating a whole cake... have a peice... buy a small bag of chips, instead of a large. After time, you will feel sick half way through eating these foods, and you will not crave them like you think you will. And when your next cheat day comes around, you will be shocked when you consider a McDonalds Chicken Wrap, your cheat, instead of a big mac :)
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what people consider cheating.

This week I had beer, coke, and chocolate but don't feel like I cheated. Instead of going crazy one day and just eating god only knows how many calories in one meal or day, I spread everything out and made sure I stayed under my calorie goal.

I think id feel worse if I saved everything for one day and ate like 3000 calories on one setting, but that's just me, ymmv :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Work your "cheat" foods into your daily calories....
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I manage cheat meals like this - Plan ahead!

I will cut back on breakfast & lunch so I don't throw my intake over that much for the day. When you do have those things you love, realize that you don't need to have them ALL at once. I completely agree that you have to still be able to enjoy the things you love... in moderation! I also believe not having that cheat meal (NOT DAY) is why so many people do fail.
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    A cheat day is good for you, And you can always recoop the next day, by resticting yourself even further. Knowing you have that one day, when you can indluge in all your cravings makes the healthy liviing life style so much easier.
    That said, Don't go crazy, like eating a whole cake... have a peice... buy a small bag of chips, instead of a large. After time, you will feel sick half way through eating these foods, and you will not crave them like you think you will. And when your next cheat day comes around, you will be shocked when you consider a McDonalds Chicken Wrap, your cheat, instead of a big mac :)

^^^^^^^^ THIS IS SOOO TRUE!!!!!
  • Dan_Druff
    Dan_Druff Posts: 104
    Options
    Two (reasonable) cheat meals a week wont hinder any progress, but why do you need cheat meals? Why not eat what you love in moderation whenever you want? It makes more sense and is more maintainable.
  • harrlea8
    harrlea8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Two (reasonable) cheat meals a week wont hinder any progress, but why do you need cheat meals? Why not eat what you love in moderation whenever you want? It makes more sense and is more maintainable.

^^^^ This...no food is "bad", overdoing it is bad...just work it into your daily allowance and it's not an issue.