my doctor thinks I am a weird freak now....

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If it's not causing you distress or interfering with your life (friends, work, sleep) then no worries. I would like to be that organized, I just always forget. :tongue:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    WTF. Logging weight and food? You bunch of weirdos.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My mom has health issues, OCD, and mental illness. She does exactly the same thing that you do. Not saying that you are mentally ill, just maybe your doctor has dealt with this in the past, so your behavior put her on alert.
  • sloane70
    sloane70 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My doctor is thrilled that I'm doing this. As someone who also deals with major depression & PTSD (which, by the way, have been "in remission" since I started exercising 3-4 times per week), she thinks that keeping track of everything (plus my moods) using MFP & UP is a great way for me to identify problems before they become problems, and she's super empowering of me. So I say PFFFFFT to your doctor.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is wrong... Relax... If your physician continues to say things like this maybe you should think about a new physician...
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Your doc might want to be a little more careful with the off-the-cuff mental disorder diagnosis, especially if she isn't trained as a therapist, which I am guessing she is not. Just sayin'

This. Wtf? Is she a physician and a psychologist? Good for her! LOL. Assuming that you are OCD over one single thing you decide to control is so unprofessional. Every one controls stuff when they want to achieve a specific goal. You work for it and you are always on top of things to reach your goal. Whether it is financial, or whatever it is. I think you need a new physician.

Freud described obsessions as things that we do in a repetitive way. Yes, logging constantly is an obsession, but this doesn't impair your life, does it? I have obsessions, and everyone does to. When I get to class I always sit in the same seat even though I don't have to - that's an obsession. But calling you OCD over an obsession - it's a bit overboard, especially if she's not qualified to give that diagnosis.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    LOL. I had a doctor like this once. I was about 9 months into a 10 month cycle of sleeping problems and I showed up, finally, to talk to my doc about it. I came with my notes from the last 6 weeks on my sleep, headaches and other symptoms. She handed me a sheet on sleep, exercise and caffeine- told me to track it for a bit and book another appointment. Wouldn't even look at my notes.

Needless to say I left her care shortly after for a doc I love who doesnt treat me like a hypochondriac for knowing my own body that I live in 365 days a year and they only see a handful of time a year.

EDITS: I actually keep a spreadsheet with my calories, exercise burn and the supposed deficit, then I compare the scale numbers and my cycle. I actually can track my TDEE and my rate of loss based on my cycle month. Hormones play a huge part of my life, even how I react to certain foods at certain times of the cycle. Logging data told me all that. Log away!
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    A colleague recently told me in all seriousness that chicken cannot contribute to weight gain because the protein goes straight to muscles, and what isn't used goes straight out of the system. She is quite confident in this theory because her doctor told her so. "And he's a doctor!"

There's idiot lawyers, idiot teachers, idiot architects, and even idiot doctors. Looks like you got yourself one. Don't sweat it.

Edit: typos
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    OMG DON'T GET ME STARTED ON DOCTORS!!!! Keep your journal and congrats on your FABULOUS work!!!
    ^^This
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    A week or so back I had to see the doctor about a few things. Had blood tests done, all turned out well with those.

Anyway, the subject of my weight and last menstrual cycle came up. Ever ready and tickled pink I whip my little paper notebook out of my purse and ask what day she wanted to know my weight from and which cycle she wanted start date of. I also have notes regarding health, colds, headaches etc in that book.

My doctor asked to see the book, I handed it over. This book has been with me daily since I started MFP 2 years ago. So I have 2 years of constant data about my health, illnesses, menstrual cycles and weight.

I kind of thought this was a helpful thing for doctors to have. Data and all that.

She looked through it, asked how I lost weight, so being a good patient flip up the mobile app and hand it over, she looked at the day's food intake, then handed back my book and phone.

Got quiet and asked why. I could sort of tell this apparently is out of the normal.

I was right. My doctor informed me it was a bit out of the norm for a non-medical field person to keep things like this. I was then asked if I'd like a referral to a therapist to work out my OCD tendency with.

Lovely, I am the least OCD person around. that book is easier than trying to drive my friends insane with constant updates daily of gain 1 lose 2, gain 1, lose 3....fluctuations. Plus its a great way to keep track of how far I have come. It also helped me track and eliminate migraines down from 5 or more a month to maybe 1 every 3 months.

Now I feel like a freak. thanks for listening to me vent.

Wow what a crap doctor
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Ah! If having OCD was about counting calories to simply lose weight most OCD sufferers would be quite happy.
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Everyone has OCD, some manage it better than others. Counting calories and exercising requires a bit of OCD. It could be a lot worse. For once, ignore your doc!
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The thing that I picked out of your story right away was not that he was saying this is what you were, but he said that non-medical people usually don't realize that this type of record keeping can be helpful information in their healthcare. I would say the doc was guilty of smugness first and lack of time second, so why not send you to someone who knows more than they do about a possible state of being and move their schedule right along. Why not own the fact that you are smarter than the average bear. I have done this for years to track allergy triggers, migraine triggers, GERD triggers. There were times when I hated it but did it because it worked, made me more aware, and freed up brain space for remembering other things. Let it go, if this is all he making his judgement based on. Next time you go in, whip out your diary with a big smile knowing that you apparently posses enough brain power to take control of your health and be an informed patient. Doc, makes another comment like that, just say, "Yes, I know an informed patient can be your worst nightmare. Now on to more important business."
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that you're narrating your side of the dialogue, and you're not really describing any of the intangibles or cues to intent but...
    ... tickled pink I whip my little paper notebook out of my purse ...

...this bit suggests a level of enthusiasm that may suggest a degree of obsessiveness.
    I was then asked if I'd like a referral to a therapist to work out my OCD tendency with.

Now this bit says to me that you have a doctor with a sense of humour
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    ever taken a test in school you hadn't studied for? Then miraculously found one question you could give an answer too? That's what going to the doctor is like, a whole lot of questions with no clue what they mean, then getting one like "when was the first day of your last period". It was the only question in that exam I had a true answer for without having to think hard about.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that your doctor was correct BUT if you are recording data daily for over 2 years that can be seen as an obsessive ritual. Weight and cycles are one thing, general health and illnesses does points more towards hypochondria which is often linked with obsessive behaviours. That said it is wonderful that you have tracked this information and eased your migraines.

You say she said "it was a bit out of the norm for a non-medical field person to keep things like this" which is perfectly accurate but that in itself doesn't indicate OCD behaviour. If you can't sleep without having logged, feel pressure to log this information or believe that something bad would happen if you didn't record it those would be typically OCD.

I don't think that's her thinking you are a "weird freak" - nor do I think it helpful to label mental illness in this way. Many people with OCD lead normal lives and there remains a taboo around mental illness that makes people react with shame or criticism when confronted with it.

Congrats on your achievements but please don't be so quick to judge, nor think that what your doctor said came from a negative place; she likely just wanted to help.

How often do you look at your phone during the day? Does it ever leave your side?

Judging from your first paragraph, most people I know must have a problem.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    You just inspired me to keep a written log of data!
  • alibee88
    Options
    Why would anyone need therapy to "deal" with something that wasn't causing them any distress or stopping them pursuing their interests in life. Conditions like OCD aren't really an issue in themselves, it's only when they stop you living a happy healthy life that's a problem.
  • fitjaida
    fitjaida Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A week or so back I had to see the doctor about a few things. Had blood tests done, all turned out well with those.

Anyway, the subject of my weight and last menstrual cycle came up. Ever ready and tickled pink I whip my little paper notebook out of my purse and ask what day she wanted to know my weight from and which cycle she wanted start date of. I also have notes regarding health, colds, headaches etc in that book.

My doctor asked to see the book, I handed it over. This book has been with me daily since I started MFP 2 years ago. So I have 2 years of constant data about my health, illnesses, menstrual cycles and weight.

I kind of thought this was a helpful thing for doctors to have. Data and all that.

She looked through it, asked how I lost weight, so being a good patient flip up the mobile app and hand it over, she looked at the day's food intake, then handed back my book and phone.

Got quiet and asked why. I could sort of tell this apparently is out of the normal.

I was right. My doctor informed me it was a bit out of the norm for a non-medical field person to keep things like this. I was then asked if I'd like a referral to a therapist to work out my OCD tendency with.

Lovely, I am the least OCD person around. that book is easier than trying to drive my friends insane with constant updates daily of gain 1 lose 2, gain 1, lose 3....fluctuations. Plus its a great way to keep track of how far I have come. It also helped me track and eliminate migraines down from 5 or more a month to maybe 1 every 3 months.

• fitjaida
    fitjaida Posts: 14 Member
    Options

[/quote]WOW THAT'S CRAZY SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE GOOD THAT YOU HAD ALL THAT INFO!!