the effect of your boyfriends on your diet?

2»

Replies

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    The SO has no effect at all on my diet. We are probably the same degree of fat in proportion to our sizes. Whether or not we are happy with our own or each other's weight never comes up, although I know he's aware of my efforts. He's just kind of "whatever" about it and I don't bore him with the details.

He doesn't cook so he eats whatever I fix for meals and doesn't ever complain. I make plenty when I cook so he eats as much as he wants of it. I don't know what he eats when we are apart from each other. He chooses and buys his own snacks and drinks if he doesn't want what I buy. I bicycle and go to the gym, but he has no interest in either one and he has his own things he likes to do. We have a shared hobby that has nothing to do with fitness or food and that gives us enough time to be together and appreciate each other.

I hope you will do your diet for your own reasons and not to please or influence someone else.
  • Chilepepper34
    Chilepepper34 Posts: 53 Member
    My boyfriend supports my dieting & exercise, as a matter of fact he can be sometimes be down right rude about my current weight, but the terrible flip side is that he also stresses me out to the point where I want to run to comfort food. >>>My advice to all ladies who has a non-supportive boyfriend, keep this part of your life separate, be independent and do your own thing. Being fit and healthy is a sacred thing and does not necessarily require the support of your partner, look at their no-support as motivation.<<<

^^ this right here is perfect. So well said. My boyfriend is now supportive that I have told him how important it is FOR ME to lose weight. I am doing it for myself, not him and perhaps he finds that an attractive quality. As some of you have mentioned, I definitely gained "relationship weight", the kind you gain from eating poorly on dates and just generally not actively caring about my weight -- But now I do!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    My boyfriend does not control how much I eat, I do.

Controlling what you eat and supporting you are different. Yes, the boyf can't and shouldn't try to control what you eat, but you should expect some support and encouragement e.g. praise when you do good, help when you're having a bad day, encouragement when you're lacking motivation.

Support is nice, but not required. If you don't get those things from him, get it somewhere else.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    My boyfriend does not control how much I eat, I do.

Controlling what you eat and supporting you are different. Yes, the boyf can't and shouldn't try to control what you eat, but you should expect some support and encouragement e.g. praise when you do good, help when you're having a bad day, encouragement when you're lacking motivation.

Support is nice, but not required. If you don't get those things from him, get it somewhere else.

Partially agree - yes support is not required, I could do this without his support. But he's great and I like having his support, and having had a supportive boyf I don't think I would want an unsupportive one, if that makes sense.

TBH from what I've read, I think most of the "unsupportive boyfriends" people talk about on the forums are just a bit clueless, and not actually *trying* to be unsupportive. I reackon a conversation about e.g. how to achieve your aims, what kinds of things you want to be eating, and letting him know it makes it harder if he's eating yummy junk food near you would fix most of the problems people talk about- boys don't always think of that stuff themselves!
  • deksgrl
    I view it differently, I guess, because the turning point for me to make changes was really grasping the reality that nobody can do it for me. It is all on me, it is all about my choices. No more waiting for the stars to all align in perfect harmony and everyone to put in effort to try to help me do something they can't really help with.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Sorry your b/f is getting fat. Hopefully you can lose a ton of weight and get a skinny b/f. Good luck!
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    My boyfriend is uber supportive. He encourages me to go to the gym if I'm in two minds about it. He says he can see I've lost weight but I'm not quite there yet which is very true. He's v honest and it's great to have genuine feedback!
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    My wife hates that I stay skinny (*by her standards) and try to eat right. So we always have whole milk and skim milk. Sometimes I'll mix half my skim into her milk so she could lose a pound or 2. And shes always baking crap then looking at me retarded when I get home from the gym and look in the mirror and laughs at me. She's really rude sometimes.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    I've noticed over the last couple of years that if I have someone in my life; my plans always seem to alter themselves. Most people I date don't understand the need to get up early and hit the gym... Or the fact that I don't want to stay out to 2am and have a bunch of alcoholic beverages...

I have a plan... I have a life... someone can either come along and enhance it... or they can stay the heck away from me...lol!

:) Guess I've just been single for awhile.
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    When I first met my fiance, I was 195 (at 5'4") and he was 135 (at 5'9"). I was overweight and he was underweight. Now, I'm 144 and he's 155. Never would have thought I would weigh less than him! He loved me when I was 195 and has been my biggest supporter this whole time. He encourages me to work out and will even go running with me if I don't feel like it, just to motivate me. A lot of times, he'll look at the muscles I'm getting or notice I've lost some weight and it will motivate him to stay in shape, too. We're a team - we motivate each other.

He doesn't track his food, but he knows I do and will ask if I'm allowed to have something/if I've tracked something that looks like a potential cheat food. The only time he "restricts" what I eat is if I ask him to. The most recent example was over Christmas when my boss gave me a 5-lb. gift basket of chocolate. I asked him to help me keep disciplined with it, so he keeps it in a place I can't reach and pulls it down once a week so I can enjoy a piece or two or three. Then it goes back up and away until the following week. That's a system that works for me!
  • thalia8424
    thalia8424 Posts: 12 Member
    my hubby seems to like my better fat. every time i try to diet he does things that sabotage me like bringing cookies to bed at 10pm! it's crazy. the other day i had to ask him if he cared about my happiness at all. i think that finally woke him up.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    In my case, it's more like MY effect on THEIR diets.

+1. it either takes time, or it doesn't take.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    You are in control of what you eat or don't eat. You can go out to eat but just make better choices and let him eat what he likes and at home do similar. Best thing you can do is add more veggies to whatever you eat to make you fuller for less calories. Have a little of the other stuff. You have to live it up a bit too.
  • deksgrl
    my hubby seems to like my better fat. every time i try to diet he does things that sabotage me like bringing cookies to bed at 10pm! it's crazy. the other day i had to ask him if he cared about my happiness at all. i think that finally woke him up.

Well if he makes things or brings me things, it is up to me to make the decision to eat it or not. By 10 p.m. I know if I have any calories left for the day. If I don't, I say, "no thanks, honey, can you put that in the cupboard and I'll eat it tomorrow." Then tomorrow I will make room in my calories for it. He used to ask me why I would never ever make brownies and I told him I can't because I will eat the whole pan. So he started making brownies for himself when he wanted them. Yes, it was hard for me to not eat the whole pan, but eventually I got to the point where I could ignore them. Now, I can eat just one and not eat the whole pan. He is not trying to sabotage me, he just wanted brownies, and just because I don't want them doesn't mean he shouldn't have them in the house. It was on ME to decide whether to eat them or not, and how much, and get control over my issues.
  • I really glad it's not just me! As a couple of people have said, I don't think he does it on purpose, but it is often difficult to cook a healthy meal together, without him wanting to add extra cheese or oil or salt! Eating together in the evening, as we both work 9-5 is quite important, I think and it's sometimes challenging to find a middle ground to suit us both. I am finding that having something hot and healthy at lunchtime (maybe a soup) and then a cold picnic type dinner together in the evening means we don't have to eat the same foods.

He is in the process of giving up smoking though, so so I can't blame him too much for making naughty food-decisions :-)
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    If you think your boyfriend isn't supportive, think about a friend of mine: her boyfriend is training as a pastry chef. :laugh:
  • If you think your boyfriend isn't supportive, think about a friend of mine: her boyfriend is training as a pastry chef. :laugh:
    Lucky my bf doesnt work in food sector. Thank you all for your supports. I am new here. I love this site. We will talk and across many things together. Kisses all.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member

Well if he makes things or brings me things, it is up to me to make the decision to eat it or not. By 10 p.m. I know if I have any calories left for the day. If I don't, I say, "no thanks, honey, can you put that in the cupboard and I'll eat it tomorrow." Then tomorrow I will make room in my calories for it. He used to ask me why I would never ever make brownies and I told him I can't because I will eat the whole pan. So he started making brownies for himself when he wanted them. Yes, it was hard for me to not eat the whole pan, but eventually I got to the point where I could ignore them. Now, I can eat just one and not eat the whole pan. He is not trying to sabotage me, he just wanted brownies, and just because I don't want them doesn't mean he shouldn't have them in the house. It was on ME to decide whether to eat them or not, and how much, and get control over my issues.

Jedi mind trick alert!

Seriously though, on this I agree with you. None of us were force-fed to get this fat (I assume?) so it's up to us to make ourselves thin again. Just because we are on a diet doesn't mean they should be too.

By being supportive I mean helping make sure shared meals fit into my diet (he doesn't mind this - he's actually enjoying having more veg), and fuzzy emotional support and encouragement. I don't mean banning foods from the house, doing the same diet plan as me, logging my calories for me etc. or even not having the odd chippy or take away. That said, he does hide his junk food in "his" cupboard so I don't see it (at my request).
  • tesstcool
    tesstcool Posts: 38 Member
    My boyfriend gives me a lot of crap about measuring out all my food and calls me obsessive. He has always been underweight, and he eats more than anyone I have ever met and never works out, so he does not understand the struggle. He is consistently offering me foods I shouldn't eat and says it'll be ok if I go over "a little." I just ignore him when it comes to food!