Breakfast?

Options
EDIT: Realized this probably should've gone in the "Recipes" or "Food and Nutrition" board. Sorry, guys!

Hey there! So, I never really ate breakfast before I joined MFP. I've been eating a serving of fruit every morning now, but I feel like instead of the 105 calories I get out of a banana (which isn't really that filling), there must be some other great healthy breakfast choices.

I am also pretty picky, so that doesn't help. I don't like raw veggies (or cooked tomatoes/peppers/onions), eggs any way but scrambled, some fruits (don't like blueberries, raspberries, melons), and most nuts (though I do like peanuts and cashews).

But regardless of my picky tendencies, what are your go-to breakfast choices??

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My "go-to" breakfast is oatmeal. Hot in the winter, and refrigerator oats (with yogurt/blueberries/sugar-free vanilla syrup) in the spring/summer.
    I started eating oatmeal (and breakfast in general) when I began my weight loss journey nearly seven years ago.
    Kaye
  • laceylain
    Options
    I'm having the same problem!
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is oatmeal with cinnamon, 1/2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp peanut butter, and raisins or banana slices.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Gravy over seasoned potatoes has been my favorite breakfast, sometimes with a side of bacon or a couple of scrambled eggs.
  • GeekyKellie
    Options
    Oatmeal with yogurt/strawberries/sugar-free vanilla syrup sounds amazing! So does the cinnamon one...Definitely going to try these! Thanks, ladies!
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love vanilla Greek yogurt with frozen fruit. Let it sit overnight in the fridge to thaw the fruit. Add some protein cereal for crunch on top before eating. I use frozen blueberries but strawberries or another fruit you like would also work.

I also like to mix 2 tbsp Peanut butter with 2 tbsp greek yogurt and cinnamon...it gets a little thicker than just PB alone. Eat with apple slices.

Bisquick's Heart Smart version has a better calorie profile. Add a scoop of protein powder or replace the oil with Greek yogurt. Pancakes or waffles with protein are filling. I use sugar free syrup but you could just as easily use your fruit as a topping.

Hmm, didn't realize I was quite so in to Greek yogurt!
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is filling, low calorie, and healthy!
  • michelelightlecoggins
    Options
    I also eat oatmeal for breakfast, But if I'm in a hurry I take half a cup of cottage cheese and mix in a small container of yogurt. I get my protein and dairy, and it is pretty filling.
  • kaylerato
    kaylerato Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love protein in the am,so I will eat a scrambled egg,three pieces of turkey bacon(butterball),and 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I alternate between -

2-3 Eggs (cooked however you like)
    Whole wheat (or sourdough) toast with butter
    Fruit (i usually eat it while I'm cooking the eggs :tongue: )
    Black coffee

or

Oatmeal
    Plain Greek yogurt
    Honey
    Nuts
    Fruit (whatever I have on hand fresh, or I'll toss in some raisins or dried cranberries)
    Cinnamon
    Black coffee

Both breakfasts keep me well fueled.
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people like oatmeal, but as a carb it just tend to make folks hungry again in about 2 hours... I find a low carb breakfast with healthy fat (grass fed butter or coconut oil or milk ) will keep me full for hours. healthy fat is very satiating. So either eggs and bacon. Or my goto quick breakfast is a chocolate or strawberry Shakeology shake with either 1/2 cup coconut milk or greek yogurt. I'll have this at about 6am and it will keep me satisfied until lunch at 12:30.
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like to mix 1/2 cup greek yogurt with 1/2 cup cottage cheese. Sometimes I mix in 1/4 cup pumpkin-flax oatmeal. Very filling, about 300 cals. Oatmeal is also a favorite. I mix 1/2 cup of blueberries in. I don't have a sweet tooth at all so I don't add anything else.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with a scoop of chocolate protein powder and a tablespoon of peanut butter! Yum!!!!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    anything really
    leftover dinner
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've been doing protein shakes in the morning. Greek yogurt, protein powder, and some fruit.

Other things I've done in the past are mini-frittatas (scrambled eggs baked with veggies/meat in a cupcake pan), overnight oats, Greek yogurt, Kashi cereal w/ fruit, or even just a latte and a hard boiled egg on the go.

I want to point out that breakfast isn't a necessary meal. If you feel better without it and it doesn't cause you to overeat later in the day, it's okay to skip it and eat later.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with a scoop of chocolate protein powder and a tablespoon of peanut butter! Yum!!!!

YES! Add in a banana, and I'm a happy man.

Or, oatmeal with vanilla protein powder, a banana, and mixed berries.

That, and more often: 3 eggs scrambled/fried with a slice of American cheese between two pieces of bread. And coffee.
  • countrygirl7mels
    Options
    Anything with protien will keep you fuller longer and give you more energy. These are my breakfast choices:

Steal Cut Oats with honey, almond milk, and dried cranberries
    A smoothie made with 1/2 banana, 1 cup frozen berries, 1 scoop strawberry protien powder, 1 1/2 cup almond milk

2 hard boiled eggs with a fruit (usually a banana)

2 scrambled eggs with spinich

homemade protien bars (2 servings)

Plain Greek Yogurt with 1 scoop vanilla whey protien and 1/2 cup blueberries.

Banana/Egg waffles (I mix two eggs and one banana with a mixer. I then add 2T vanalla whey protein, and then I cook it in a waffle iron. This is usually made as a pancake, but I am no good with pancakes; they always burn on me.) I eat this with blueberries on top. The texture is a little different, but it looks like a waffle and is sweet, so I like it!
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I make eggs scrambled with whatever vegetables I have on hand. If you don't like breakfast foods you can eat whatever you want in the morning. Have a sandwich or leftovers!
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My go to for the past few weeks has been:

1 cup coffee
    1 cup soy milk
    2 scoops protein powder
    1 tbsp almond butter
    0.5 tsp vanilla extract
    0.5 tsp agave if not sweet enough

It tastes like a vanilla late from starbucks and you even get the foam!!
  • gtmuggs
    gtmuggs Posts: 16
    Options
    Gravy over seasoned potatoes has been my favorite breakfast, sometimes with a side of bacon or a couple of scrambled eggs.
    This breakfast sounds good!! but can you tell me how i can get that and make it more healthy than not.