Any other single, full time working moms out there?

Options
I am a single mom to two amazing kids, ages 10 and 4 (and get NO help from their dad). I also work full time as an engineer and have a tremendous amount of responsibility at work. Over the years, I had the tendency to take care of everyone else but myself, which is how I ended up where I am. I am trying to eat healthier for my kids and myself, but have found that the hardest part of this journey is finding the motivation to work out. I don't have time or money for a gym. I love to run, but doing so involves (a) bringing the kids with me...which works thanks to a jogging stroller and a 10 year old that likes to run, and (b) daylight when I get home. Starting to think early mornings with workout videos are my only option.

In my mind, I think I need to lose about 40 pounds, but in reality, when I feel better and am happy with how I look in a mirror, that number may change.

Anyone else out there with similar restraints? Any helpful hints or words of encouragement?

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

Replies

• AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly in the same boat, but the only time of day that it's possible for me to work out is really, really early in the morning before my 10 month old wakes up. So....I get up at 5am everyday and do the elliptical (I'm lucky to have that at least), body weight exercise (push-ups, sit-ups, squats, planks, lunges), or do some type of work out video. I've found that if you really want it, you'll figure out how to make it work. If not, you'll make excuses. Not being mean, I just know this from personal experience. Good luck!
  • klb0809
    klb0809 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a single mom and I feel your struggles. I do Jillian Michael videos in the evening when I get off and I ask my daughter if she wants to work out with me (not that she needs to). Sometimes she will sometimes she sits and watches. On the weekends I walk around the reservoir which has a path for bikes and one for walkers/runners and take both my kids with me. Sometimes we walk or ride our bikes and sometime she brings her scooter while I walk.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I used to be up until my son was 15...figures right.

When I decided it was time to take care of me and I had the full time job etc I bought a used treadmill for home...I saved my pennies and bought a weight set for home....I still use it to this day (got it on sale for 100$)

Even now I do my workouts at home....

Workout DVD's are great
    I used to just walk as well..

But remember this...weight is brought down by a calorie deficet...exercise is just for sanity (esp for a single mom of 2)

ETA: Wii Fit and just dance are great workouts too and the kids can join in...or somethign similar if you have the games...and if you don't you can get them pretty cheap now if you don't go for this years model...and they play dvds too...
  • nmslater77
    nmslater77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I am going to start with workout videos in the morning, and walking during lunch while at work. When the days get a little longer, I will start running a couple of days a week after work as well.