Bodymedia Armband

Options
I was thinking about buying a Bodymedia armband to count calories burned throughout the day, step taken and sleep patterns. Does anyone have this device or another device similar that you recommend?

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and it does everything I need it to do and it fits in my pocket.
  • SewSweets
    SewSweets Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had one back when they were called the BodyBugg - I actually just purchased a new one 2 days ago to help me keep track of calories spent. Because really all we can do without KNOWING - is to estimate. When I rejoined myfitnesspal and it wanted me to put in a calorie goal - I really wasn't sure what to put because I have no idea what my average calories burned is. I love how detailed they are and am really excited about the bluetooth and sleep feature that has been added. ALSO - happy about the price drop! I think it was $350 when I bought my original one! It's totally worth $100 or so. If you use a smart phone definitely get the one with bluetooth. It's very addictive to see how many calories you are burning throughout the day. My old one I had to wait unitl the end of the day and then hook it up to the computer (which is the same as their "core" model) - but I think seeing numbers throughout the day will really motivate me to push myself farther.
  • SewSweets
    SewSweets Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also I wanted to add that there are discount codes if you do a google search. Try checking retailmenot - I was able to find a 15% off code.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it! It's the most accurate of all the metabolic monitors out there.

I like that I can tailor my eating to my activity--the more I do, the more I can eat.
  • becujo
    becujo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Link (or the bluetooth version, whatever it its called these days) and really love it. It's pretty cool to see daily variances of when Im at my desk job and when Im home with my active kids. It pushes me to do mini workouts during chores (i.e. squats while folding laundry) or move more than just working out. The Droid App helps me keep my eating in check by letting me know when to indulge or when to cut back. I like to give my day variety and aim for deficits rather than strict calorie counting. If I eat 1800 one day and then 1400 the next, it keeps my body guessing. You do have to pay a monthly subscription of 6.95 but it's worth it to me for the 90% accuracy and my proven weight loss.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media and I love it. I also have a FitBit and it is not nearly as accurate.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I got the bodymedia link 2 weeks ago after having been maintaining (not really on purpose but not necessarily trying as hard as I could have) since october and I have already dropped the initial water weight again so I'm well on my way. Turns out my TDEE is higher than I thought so yay more food! I love it and love all the graphs.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I love love my BodyMedia Link. I have an accurate look on my overall well being. I love the data and the excel exporting. Definitely well worth it to me. The armband does not bother me, but bothers some.
  • aking2271
    Options
    I was also thinking about greeting the BodyMedia armband. Their website is a little confusing though and doesn't give an email for prospective customers, and their hours are 9-5,Monday through Friday. So not a customer - centric place. Anyway, I wanted to find out about the armbands. If you look at the accessories, they sell just replacement armbands in different size. But if you order a Link or the other one, they don't give a size choice. So what size is the one they ship? Second question, do you still use the MyFitnessPal although their website gives info on their app, which you can use to track calories consumed? Third question, seems the Link armband has only a 1 or 2 day battery life - I read this somewhere on their website but can't find it again. If you have to keep charging it that often, wondering how long it takes to get fully charged? Thanks I would appreciate insights from others.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I was also thinking about greeting the BodyMedia armband. Their website is a little confusing though and doesn't give an email for prospective customers, and their hours are 9-5,Monday through Friday. So not a customer - centric place. Anyway, I wanted to find out about the armbands. If you look at the accessories, they sell just replacement armbands in different size. But if you order a Link or the other one, they don't give a size choice. So what size is the one they ship? Second question, do you still use the MyFitnessPal although their website gives info on their app, which you can use to track calories consumed? Third question, seems the Link armband has only a 1 or 2 day battery life - I read this somewhere on their website but can't find it again. If you have to keep charging it that often, wondering how long it takes to get fully charged? Thanks I would appreciate insights from others.

1. They send the medium sized one in box.

2. I use MFP for food tracking and link it to Bodymedia site. Works best for me this way because I already have years of logging on here.

3. After the initial charge I never ran out of battery power. Takes literally a few minutes to go from like 80% to full power.

HTH
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

When you order, it asks what size armband you want. I don't like any online calorie tracker; I use pen and paper. I think MFP has a larger database of foods. I charge my armband every day when I shower; it takes 5 minutes, tops.
  • samfelder
    Options
    I was looking for a calorie counter...I have the fuel band but I don't think its accurate :/
    Glad to see purchasers that are happy with BM !
  • aking2271
    Options

When you order, it asks what size armband you want. I don't like any online calorie tracker; I use pen and paper. I think MFP has a larger database of foods. I charge my armband every day when I shower; it takes 5 minutes, tops.

Interesting - when I add it to my shopping cart, there's no place to indicate size. I guess I need to call them during their business hours. Good to know that the battery thing isn't an issue. Thanks much for the info!
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my BM armband! I have tracked calories in/out for a month, and lost exactly what it projected I should. I also have the fitbit but it isn't as accurate, especially if you lift weights. Drawback is you have an ugly armband to look at. Meh, doesn't bother me that much.
  • cinyb
    cinyb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the BM Core arm band and the display watch I love it. I have a fit bit too but it went into the wash in my pocket and died I got a replacement one but every time I use it I'm paranoid of either losing it or it getting a washing machine bath again. The BM arm band I feel is more accurate as well.
  • MainEventMike
    MainEventMike Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money. I've had 3 of them and they haven't lasted more than 3-4 months. When it worked it was great!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I own one and I think its great. I find it to be highly accurate, when I compare what "I should have lost" to what "I actually lost" over the last 30 weeks that I've been using it, its almost dead on. Week to week there are variances, times when according to my calorie deficit I should have lost more, or less, but over time it averages out to be accurate.

I think its a great investment, its very motivating.

I love having more than one marker to measure "success". For example, in the past I'd be trying to stay in a calorie limit, and would eat something I shouldn't have. Then I'd figure, "Well, this day is shot, might as well do what I want." With the armband I'm able to say, "Okay, I won't get the deficit I want today, but if I get back on track right now, I'll still get a deficit of a few hundred calories, if I throw the day out the window, I'll get a surplus." I also like being able to see my steps, activity time, etc. Even if I *do* completely blow it on food, I can see that I've still done a lot for my health that day, and I can get back on track more quickly, with less discouragement. The ability to do weekly, bi-weekly, and 28 day averages is great too. It keeps those few "bad days" in perspective when I can look and see that I still averaged a deficit of 927 calories a day for the week.

I've also owned mine now for over a year, but only really started using it in July. It has lasted just fine. No problems. I have replaced the elastic band, but the device itself is still functioning and I wear it all day, except in the shower or pool. I see that someone said they only last 3-4 months. That doesn't seem right to me... I do have the most basic model, the core, so maybe there is less to malfunction than with the more sophisticated models. Either way, even if mine did break now, it has helped me so much I wouldn't think twice about buying another.

As for blue tooth or not, I think that is just personal preference, I own the display, so can see how many calories I'm burning even without the bluetooth feature.
  • grrrlwonder
    grrrlwonder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I bought one a few weeks ago, after a friend recommended it, and I love it! It was amazing to see the difference between what I thought my activity levels were and what they actually are. It definitely has motivated me to step it up a few notches! I had been toying with the idea of getting a fitbit and decided that only having the ability to track steps taken was too limited for how I like to workout. I have the Bluetooth model, which is very convenient, I can sync it too my phone and get my results throughout the day, rather than waiting until I get home and can plug it into the computer.
    I do still use mfp for food tracking. Bodymedia's food database is very limited. The friend that recommended it however, liked their tracker a lot. She was on Jenny Craig at the time and because she was eating the same food most of the time it wasn't a problem for her.
    I bought mine through Amazon with a Retailmenot.com discount, because Bodymedia has pretty steep shipping costs. But if you do buy it through them, do yourself a favor and buy an extra armband while you're there, so you can switch out when you wash it.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I love it! I've used it for at least 2 years. It comes in handy so much! Even though I am pretty much at my goal weight, it keeps me in check during marathon training because I know my appetite gets out of hand when I run really long distances.
  • Tanyaradzwa88
    Tanyaradzwa88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had the BM Core from 2010, till it started acting up in Dec 2013. Loved it!

Now I have the BM Link (bluetooth one) even better than the core. I have trouble linking it to my phone sometimes though.
    Overall, I feel naked without it :P