Carbs?

Options
I need some research on carbs...

First of all i wants to know what are good carbs and bad carbs...difference between them?

How much carb i shud take to lose weight?, maintain weight?

Please if someone knows about it do reply :)

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

First of all i wants to know what are good carbs and bad carbs...difference between them?

Weight loss is calories in vs calories out. Eating carbs or not has nothing to do with it.
    As long as it fits your calories/macros eat it
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating whatever you want. If you have a calorie deficit each week, that alone will help you lose weight.

What you eat determines how much nutrition your body gets. Examples of good carbs would be fruits and vegetables, and whole grain, examples of "bad" carbs by what your asking would be white bread, processed foods, etc.

You don't need to cut the bad carbs out of your life if you love them, just make the effort to include the fruits and veggies as well.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Everyone's sensitivity to carbs is different - some people find that too many of them makes them bloated and tired. But it can be a bit of trial and error to see what the "right" level for your body is.

How do you react to carbs at the moment?

I don't like labelling any foods as "good" or "bad", but I try to eat lots of vegetables, watch the high sugar fruits, and keep things like pastries or cookies as special treats.
  • sandhusaab16
    Options
    You can lose weight eating whatever you want. If you have a calorie deficit each week, that alone will help you lose weight.

What you eat determines how much nutrition your body gets. Examples of good carbs would be fruits and vegetables, and whole grain, examples of "bad" carbs by what your asking would be white bread, processed foods, etc.

You don't need to cut the bad carbs out of your life if you love them, just make the effort to include the fruits and veggies as well.

If you actually see in my today's diary i had low calories diet but when it came to carbs it went upto 176...i heared somewhere that to lose weight i shudn't exceed carbs over 150
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Carbs are carbs :) good/bad? not so much. I count carbs as a diabetic. doesn't matter where they come from as long as I keep them under a certain number per day

I tend to prefer to get more of my carbs from fruits/veggies than the rice/bread carbs though
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Carbs are yummy

They are energy. Body needs energy.

Eat too much, they get stored as fat.

Eat a little bit less, fat gets burned.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If you actually see in my today's diary i had low calories diet but when it came to carbs it went upto 176...i heared somewhere that to lose weight i shudn't exceed carbs over 150

i am NEVER under 150g of carbs per day...i am however happily losing bodyfat.
  • sandhusaab16
    Options
    Everyone's sensitivity to carbs is different - some people find that too many of them makes them bloated and tired. But it can be a bit of trial and error to see what the "right" level for your body is.

How do you react to carbs at the moment?

I don't like labelling any foods as "good" or "bad", but I try to eat lots of vegetables, watch the high sugar fruits, and keep things like pastries or cookies as special treats.

i am trying to limit my carbs under 150 ...doesn't matters from fruits or what..it has to be under 150...i have exceeded it from last 2 days though LOL sorry :|

i do not buy or eat foods that are high in carbs -_- atleast i try too lol
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Low glycemic index foods give you more bang for your buck so to speak. They are very filling yet low in calories. You can google low glycemic index foods. Some of them are broccoli, radishes, lettuce (spinach, romaine, etc.), kale, carrots etc. The higher the index rating the smaller the portion.
  • sandhusaab16
    Options
    Carbs are carbs :) good/bad? not so much. I count carbs as a diabetic. doesn't matter where they come from as long as I keep them under a certain number per day

exactly...my question is how much carbs per day?
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree with MELANIECHEEKS. I do not think that there is a magic number for everyone. If you cut your carbs to a low number and don't replace those with more calories from fat and/or protein, you'll most likely lose weight. But you will be doing so because you are cutting calories. For myself, I have cut carbs by a significant amount (I aim for about 50g of Net carbs). This week I went above this and noticed that I felt sluggish and not up to doing much at the gym. There could be other reasons for that, but I also noticed that when I made sure to have a very low carb breakfast and lunch that I started to get back to normal. I expect that in addition to the higher general level of carbs I also had a higher than normal amount of starch (beans and 1/3 of a potato) so those may have been part of the problem. You need to find what works for you. Make yourself an experiment with a single subject and keep note of how you are doing.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs. I am just selective from where to get them. I prefer my carbs to come from fruits and vegetables. I stick to 100gr, usually, but occasionally go over. It just depends on the day, the workout.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options

What are you trying to achieve? Is it a case of just dropping bodyfat or are you lifting too?
  • sandhusaab16
    Options

What are you trying to achieve? Is it a case of just dropping bodyfat or are you lifting too?

See i used to be over weight like 107 kg and now i am down to 78 kgs...

I am actually trying to do both together so i dont get loose skin...i do cardio with muscles together..my aim is 75kgs and then to build muscles only
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options

For starters, I recommend Gary Taubes' book 'Why We Get Fat' if you really want to read.

If you don't, 20 grams or less daily for extreme weight loss, under 60 to stay in a constant fat burning state (ketosis), depending upon your body.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This poster stated he was a diabetic...............therefore he keeps the carbs under a certain number.

Unless YOU have a medical condition too ...don't worry about the "number" .....a more important question is how much protein.....how much fat.

Protein & fat are really important.......not meeting protein or fat numbers....of course your carbs will be high (it's what's left over).
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    Carbs are carbs. There are complex and simple but both are necessary. There is no "bad" or "good". Just eat as many as you need to fuel your activity and your recovery. You'll need more the more active you are. You need them to build muscle and to help with hormone regulation as well. Don't fear them any more than any of your other macros (which should be not at all).
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    omg please stop recommending ketosis to people
    its awful
    carb the **** up
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, there are no real "good" vs. "bad" carbs. You may find you do better with less carbs or with more carbs and you need to adjust your macros to fit your preferences. Now, in terms of overall health, you may want to look more into the source and GI of your carbs, but for weight loss it's not a big deal.
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    omg please stop recommending ketosis to people
    its awful
    carb the **** up

First of all, I didn't. I said if his goal is ketosis, those are the numbers.

Second of all, I can do what I want. That's the beauty of being an adult.