jumping rope?

Options
So I have been reading a lot about jumping rope lately. Are there any fans of this activity? The calories burned per minute are pretty damn good (ballpark of about 11). I'm down with jumping rope to burn off that chinese food I ate tonight! Does the 11 calories per minute sound about right?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    By definition, jumping rope is a higher-intensity, higher-impact cardiovascular exercise. Like running, rope jumping has a minimum threshold of exertion that is pretty high. Any activity that is higher-intensity by nature will provide good results for increasing aerobic conditioning, but will not be something that everyone can do. As a repetitive, higher-impact movement, rope jumping also carries a higher risk of injury, both acute and overuse.

Calories burned are a function of intensity and body weight. Any claimed calorie burn for jumping rope is due to the intensity of the activity being performed--it is not something inherent in jumping rope itself. In other words, you would have to work at "x" intensity to burn 11 calories per minute, regardless of the modality. And, conversely, if you work at "x" intensity, you will burn 11 cals/min at any exercise activity.

Jumping rope is great for doing intervals or circuit training.
  • maffu00
    Options
    I've been doing it for over a week now. I liked it when I was a kid, so it doesn't feel like exercise to me.
  • maffu00
    Options
    Edit: double post
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love doing jump ropes. :) At first I could only do it for about a minute, but now I can go for half an hour and still feel like I can go longer I just get bored with it. I have really bad knees and it does make your knees hurt from doing it. But if you have a trampoline do them on there and stay as close to the springs as you can where the trampoline is tight. Doing on the trampoline won't make your knees hurt as bad.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I used to skip as part of my HIIT routine. 1 min skip, 1 min walk x 10. I think its a good activity, Not sure how many calories it burns tho, but I used to do a fast minute so was pretty breathless.

Actually, I should measure it now I have a HRM but seem to be more into my step aerobics at the mo

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I love jump rope but I can't do it at the moment it's like -6 below and the garage in which I usually workout is freezing at all times so I have to find other things to do unfortunately. I can't figure out how to do a workout in the garage and not freeze to death during even though I'll be sweating up a storm. I need a space heater or something.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I forgot how much hard work jump rope was! As a child i spend hours playing it, but when i picked up a rope last week (for the first time in 20 years) I got a shock as to how difficult it was. Great work out though.