Weighing food when you're traveling

Options
I have just recently gotten into the habit of actually weighing my food (yay me) but am a little concerned about what to do when I travel. We are getting ready to go to Disney World in a few weeks so between the 10 hr drive and the time there my calorie intake is gonna be off kilter. I will make healthy choices when I can but I also don't really want to worry about every little thing that goes in my mouth, I want to enjoy my trip.

So to those that weigh your food, what kind of tips and advice can you give me?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your trip. I don't log on vacation because I know nothing will be accurate anyway. I just do my best - and try and be active (which is no problem at Disney with all the walking you'll do.).
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I don't bother when traveling.. its just a short time., just make some smart decisions but don't let it ruin your trip... then when you come back just get back at it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I agree...dont' log.

But to give you a warm and fuzzy here: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/disney-world-restaurants-guide/

That site has a list of every single restaurant or food vendor at the Disney World Resort.

ETA: Don't skip the pastry shop in Epcot (France)....totally worth it!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree that I dont really worry much when on vacation, try your best. If you are really worried about it though then you can pre-measure a bunch of snacks out and bag them individually and take them with you.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You could forego logging and just use the knowledge you have gained doing this and see what happens. You may surprise yourself. When I started my weightloss I didn't use MFP and I was on vacation. I just made different choices on some meals. We went during the summer and went to a number of minor league ball games. I had to have my brats or nachos etc at the games. i just are better at the other meals and didn't go overboard other meals. :bigsmile:
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have an item called 'whatever'. I just log that on days I go out and don't feel like tracking, I make an estimate of what it was caloriewise, but it's just a few days, so it won't matter that much.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    Disney has amazing restaurants, don't miss out on that experience for fear of calorie intake.

I ate mainly fruit and power bars for breakfast and lunch and then we would hit up one fabulous restaurant for dinner each day. Had some of the best food in my life the week I was there.

I only gained one pound because the calories were completely off set by all the walking.

Have fun and enjoy it... I recommend The restaurant at Mexico In Epcot. Kouzzina (greek) at the boardwalk resort. The Brown derby In Hollywood studios and I cant remember what it is called but the family style all you can eat restaurant in Magic kingdom over in frontierland (I think) they basically serve thanksgiving dinner, but it is absolutely amazing.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Depends on why I'm traveling. If it's an actual vacation, I do log my food, but I don't worry about weighing things or being over on calories here and there. It just seems dumb to me to give up the opportunity to share a delicious meal with your family on vacation all because you might gain a pound or two. You can lose it when you get back. You don't get to relive that vacation, though.

Now, on business trips, I am the freak who takes a food scale and a blender and protein powder with me. I usually go on 3 or 4 week-long business trips a year, and it is actually more stressful for me to try to estimate and guess at things than to have everything in place and be sure of what I'm doing. Type A personality at work, I suppose.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Disney has amazing restaurants, don't miss out on that experience for fear of calorie intake.

I ate mainly fruit and power bars for breakfast and lunch and then we would hit up one fabulous restaurant for dinner each day. Had some of the best food in my life the week I was there.

I only gained one pound because the calories were completely off set by all the walking.

Have fun and enjoy it... I recommend The restaurant at Mexico In Epcot. Kouzzina (greek) at the boardwalk resort. The Brown derby In Hollywood studios and I cant remember what it is called but the family style all you can eat restaurant in Magic kingdom over in frontierland (I think) they basically serve thanksgiving dinner, but it is absolutely amazing.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations. I just googled Kouzzina and it is a Cat Cora restaurant, I love her. I just hope I can get the others to go there lol.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I agree...dont' log.

But to give you a warm and fuzzy here: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/disney-world-restaurants-guide/

That site has a list of every single restaurant or food vendor at the Disney World Resort.

ETA: Don't skip the pastry shop in Epcot (France)....totally worth it!

Thanks, it's a good thing we'll be doing a lot of walking. LOL