The challenges of cooking...

Options
So, I am pretty new at this cooking thing and am experiencing a wide range of challenges. Today, I tried to cook olive oil and white wine together. It exploded like fireworks....all over my kitchen cabinets, who knew? Does anyone have any tips for cleaning oil/wine off of cherry wood cabinets???!!!

At least I am getting out there and attempting new recipes and new food; trying to eat healthy! I am attempting homemade rolls for Thanksgiving!!!

Does anyone have a good/bad cooking story to share....(so I'm not alone in my kitchen nightmares - love that show by the way)!

Replies

• daylilies
    Options
    OMG! be careful with the wine!
    I'm now a trained chef, but before I went to school I was living with my boyfriend (now husband) and I wanted to cook a turkey for our first Thanksgiving. It was taking a lot longer than I expected! Finally I got frustrated and took it out. It was raw inside. :( I think we had bagel pizzas instead...LOL

Fast forward 10 years and I'm making another turkey this year...wish me luck!
  • MandyGirly
    Options
    Here are my cooking horror stories:
    About 7 or 8 years ago, I put a cake in the oven and then went to work. For 12 hours. Whoops. Lucky for me, it just hardened into a black brick and did not catch fire.
    A few years before that, I was making candles (not exactly cooking... but in the kitchen) and I discovered that you cannot pour cold water over hot wax. I can give you plenty of pointers on how to get wax of off cupboards! As for your oil/wine... that's a new one on me! I don't know... have you tried a mild dish detergent? That might work.
    Good luck with all of your cooking adventures! :flowerforyou:
    ~M
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    LOLOLOLOL oh no!!!!

Well first, adding any moisture to oil is going to make the oil go crazy and shoot up and all over the place. We didn't dry a pan enough once before adding oil and heating it up, and I think both my husband and I still have the scars!

And cooking with wine is always dangerous too, it can catch on fire REALLY easily so you have to make sure it doesn't get too close to the flame/heat source or splash out of the pan.

Not sure what you are cooking, but typically what I make with those two ingredients is some sort of chicken dish. Cook the chicken (and veggies sometimes) in the oil, then add the wine (and whatever else) to make the sauce. Yes? I think part of it is getting enough wine in the pan fast enough that it stops the oil from reacting. You might have a few splatters but not much. If there are other things in the pan already (chicken, onions, etc.) it will help because there is enough stuff to mix with. I've never added wine to a pan with nothing but olive oil.