NON diary protein powder recommendations

Options
Hey all! I was diagnosed lactose intolerant six months ago and gave up everything except my beloved whey protein powder. I cut down to one shake a day and am not willing to give that up, so I am looking for recommendations based on FLAVOR that are non dairy. I tried a vanilla flavored brown rice vegan powder and it literally tastes like flour. OMG. Any recommendations would be SO GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    might try a chocolate egg powder. Soy and other plant powders taste like *kitten* like most dairy ones as well (and any other powder for that matter).
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Have you considered hemp protein? I've heard it tastes like lawn clippings.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    lol...you eat lawn clippings?
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have you considered hemp protein? I've heard it tastes like lawn clippings.

Why would I try that if it tastes like lawn clippings? I appreciate your "tasteless" humor. :-)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I like Omega pumpkin seed protein powder. I find that it blends well and is pretty taste neutral in a smoothie. I like it so much I tried baking with it. That's not a good idea.
  • Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Try rice protein powder. 24 grams of protein, 120 calories, in two tablespoons of NutriBiotics brand.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I use pulsin pea protein 20 grams 70 calories with 17 g of protein
  • Dragongirl77
    Options
    I had tests run for food sensitivities. I had a severe reaction to cow's milk and casein. I am drinking this protein powder now, and I have had no reactions at all. It is pretty tasty. I ordered the Vanilla, too, but I have not tried it yet. The Thorne website has a lot of information, if you want to read more about it. This is a rice and pea protein powder.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LERXW8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Vegan shakeology tastes pretty good and is a lot less gritty than other vegan powders I've tried. Its a bit pricey though... I think its worth it but many do not.

You could also try a soy based protein, I don't have a specific brand in mind because I try to avoid soy myself, but I've heard that soy based powders are best in terms of taste when it comes to non-dairy powders.
  • fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk by CytoSport is lactose free. It tastes pretty good and mixes well with almond milk or water.
  • ThriceBlessed
    Options
    Oh I just remembered another protein powder I've tried, its vegan and soy free, AND it tastes really good too. Sunwarrior is really good, I had forgotten about it. I tried it when I went on a vegan diet for a time, but once I went back to eating meat, eggs, and dairy, I didn't really need to buy it anymore.

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/sunwarrior-classic_protein_raw_vegan.htm
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    What about soy?
  • fitfan11
    fitfan11 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk by CytoSport is lactose free. It tastes pretty good and mixes well with almond milk or water.

Gluten free as well for all you people not wanting any glutes.
  • ThriceBlessed
    Options
    might try a chocolate egg powder. Soy and other plant powders taste like *kitten* like most dairy ones as well (and any other powder for that matter).

You eat *kitten*?
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    Vega Sport is really good stuff and it's all vegan so there will be no lactose. There are tons of options out there. :smile:
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I like Now's pea protein in vanilla toffee flavor. 120 cal, 25 g protein, 2 g carb (fiber), and 3 g mono fat. That's quoted from memory, I might be off a gram either way on some of that, but it's close. You can also buy unflavored and use fresh fruit to flavor it.
  • bec_232
    bec_232 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Agreed, brown rice protein is nasty. I really don't like hemp either.

The only non dairy protein powder I love is Vega One. It's awesome and all of them are at least 2 servings vegetables as well. My favorites are the protein smoothie line - tropical blend and the berry but the original Vega One berry is great too.

http://myvega.com/

If you want to check them out.
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Great recommendations. I am reading up on all of them now. Thank you!!
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    VegaOne and the Essentials line are good.... and yummy :tongue:
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options

Gluten free as well for all you people not wanting any glutes.

I was going to suggest this as well.