Uneven strength (left vs right). Help?

Options
Hi, hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

After carrying my little girl consistently on my left side for a couple of years (she's now up to about 40lbs and gets carried lots, since we do lots of walking to get around the city), I'm pretty strong on my left side, but my right side is terribly weak in comparison. (I honestly never thought there could be THAT much of a difference, or I would've switched sides more). Obviously, I'm trying to carry her on the right side more, but I'm really wanting to even out my two sides strength-wise (mainly shoulders and arms).

So what is a good strategy for catching the right side up to the left?

I was thinking of taking Sunday (which should be rest day, but will be the day after lowerbody day, so my upper body will be fairly rested already) to go to the gym and work only my right side. I've also been thinking to add an extra strength set for just my right side, with little rest before. (Note: I'm using machines, doing reps 12, 8, 6...resting accordingly, so I was thinking of taking shorter rest after 3rd set and do a 4th set of 6 for my right side--really get a burn going).

These are just some ideas I had, but maybe there are some known strategies for this sort of thing??

Thanks!

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    stop using machines and start using freeweights with a progressive lifting program.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I was always told to work both sides with the amount of weight that the weak side can handle until you catch up to having equal strength. This was a while back though when I was in physical therapy for patellar tendonitis so that might not be the prevailing way of doing things these days.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have an uneven strength issue with left vs. right, and after shifting from machines to free weights it has evened out a lot. I still have some balance/strength issues when it comes to weighted lunges and stuff, but they are progressively getting stronger/better.

I agree with GetSoda and switch to free weights vs. machines. The only machine I use now is the lat pulldown machine, everything else is dumbbells or barbells.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stop using machines and start using freeweights with a progressive lifting program.

+1

Machines can contribute to the problem because most let you get away with using more force on one side or the other. I've just switched to free weights from machines and the first thing I noticed is that I'm not balanced, even though I was doing similar movements with the machines.

It was obvious on weaker exercises for me - bench press for example. The barbell had a tendency to sway on my left and remain steady on my right. Got bad enough the towards the end of my last sets during my first barbell bench press that the barbell collided with the rack, causing me to lose control and fail the lift. Ended up with the thing on my chest and had to roll it off me. Good thing it was just the Oly bar and I didn't actually drop it (cause there's no safety cage) - just couldn't reverse the descent :blushing:

On the plus side, it's only taken a few sessions to see a vast improvement. The barbell still sways a little at my working weight, but it's stopped when I'm warming up with just the bar.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Use dumbells and train the weak arm first. Stop at that same # of reps for your strong arm.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to post this, but (sigh) alas I will. I understand how magical free weights are and have been wanting to do a free weight program since last year. So, yes, I would like to use free weights, but at the moment it is not a reasonable possibility for me.

If that's my only option, then my sides will just have to stay uneven. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

+1

Machines can contribute to the problem because most let you get away with using more force on one side or the other. I've just switched to free weights from machines and the first thing I noticed is that I'm not balanced, even though I was doing similar movements with the machines.

It was obvious on weaker exercises for me - bench press for example. The barbell had a tendency to sway on my left and remain steady on my right. Got bad enough the towards the end of my last sets during my first barbell bench press that the barbell collided with the rack, causing me to lose control and fail the lift. Ended up with the thing on my chest and had to roll it off me. Good thing it was just the Oly bar and I didn't actually drop it (cause there's no safety cage) - just couldn't reverse the descent :blushing:

On the plus side, it's only taken a few sessions to see a vast improvement. The barbell still sways a little at my working weight, but it's stopped when I'm warming up with just the bar.

The machines at my gym do NOT let you get away with it, which is why I noticed it. The two sides move independently. And I am hoping to someday start SL (family logistics stand in the way) and this is EXACTLY why I want to tackle the problem now, because my upper body is already so very weak, that OHP and BP are really difficult for me, so I'm hoping I can use shoulder press and chest press (plus bicep & tricep and chest fly and pullover and reverse fly) to try even things out before I start heaving an Olybar over my head lol.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to post this, but (sigh) alas I will. I understand how magical free weights are and have been wanting to do a free weight program since last year. So, yes, I would like to use free weights, but at the moment it is not a reasonable possibility for me.

If that's my only option, then my sides will just have to stay uneven. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

Why isn't reasonably possible for you to use free weights? You stated you have access to a gym, which would mean access to free weights.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Why aren't they a reasonable possibility for you?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Thank you.

Why isn't reasonably possible for you to use free weights? You stated you have access to a gym, which would mean access to free weights.

^^This
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Logistics. It took me ages to find a gym with proper free weight equip. When I finally found one, I didn't realize that it was the only gym with this equipment for 3 neighborhoods, which means every other person wanting to use the equipment joins that gym too. The free weight section is very small and always packed. I have a very VERY strict time frame where I barely have enough time to get to the gym and get a workout and get back to pick my son up from his lessons. This is the only time I have in the whole day to go. The gym is a little better on Sat & Sun, but I couldn't do SL back-to-back and just 2x/wk. It's all logistics, having 2 kids, no nanny, and hardly any gyms with the proper equipment resulting in overcrowdedness. With the machines, I can bounce around and get most of my exercises done before I have to run out the door again.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Logistics. It took me ages to find a gym with proper free weight equip. When I finally found one, I didn't realize that it was the only gym with this equipment for 3 neighborhoods, which means every other person wanting to use the equipment joins that gym too. The free weight section is very small and always packed. I have a very VERY strict time frame where I barely have enough time to get to the gym and get a workout and get back to pick my son up from his lessons. This is the only time I have in the whole day to go. The gym is a little better on Sat & Sun, but I couldn't do SL back-to-back and just 2x/wk. It's all logistics, having 2 kids, no nanny, and hardly any gyms with the proper equipment resulting in overcrowdedness. With the machines, I can bounce around and get most of my exercises done before I have to run out the door again.

Oh. I can understand time crunches. I go to the gym at 9:30 at night...sometimes later, because it's the first bit of free time I have during the week. My husband stays with our daughter then, though. Have you checked the Y?--people sometimes forget that they have free weights at many of them.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    I've been told that night is better at my gym too, but my son's martial arts is from ~7:50 til ~9:15 and then dinner, baths, bedtime, etc. sigh.

Anyway, I live in Greece, so no Y.
    It's kinduv a different world.

Suffice to say that I've investigated all possibilities and was lucky to find this gym and joined it for a whole year, but for right NOW, I have to stick to the machines due to the time crunch.
  • gary5661
    gary5661 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i had uneven strength from slipping a disc in my neck at c5-c6 and lost 90% of my strength in my left arm had a job to lift and hold a bottle of pop in that arm, had the operation to remove the disc. then few weeks later resumed weight training, what i did was just kept doing excersices to failure 4-6 sets of 10 until both sides are now pretty even, i bench 300lbs now. from 132lbs my advice is just percervere with it wont take long to catch up
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    i had uneven strength from slipping a disc in my neck at c5-c6 and lost 90% of my strength in my left arm had a job to lift and hold a bottle of pop in that arm, had the operation to remove the disc. then few weeks later resumed weight training, what i did was just kept doing excersices to failure 4-6 sets of 10 until both sides are now pretty even, i bench 300lbs now. from 132lbs my advice is just percervere with it wont take long to catch up

"just kept doing excersices to failure"

so go to failure, even if the strong side could keep going, and eventually everything evens out?
    I hope so, but it's a little nervewracking when I know that I can go more on the other arm, but ...well, duh, right. lol
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Does it have a suspension trainer?

Hell, even look into body weight exercises.

There is no excuse. Just do it.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Hmmm...did you say if your gym has dumb bells? If so, some of these might work:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_top_10_unilateral_exercises

Don't let the big men scare you; I think most people could do those movements with the right weights...even if you start with tiny dumbbells and kettlebells (for the barbell exercises). :wink:

I'd train both sides, though. I think someone else said to train at same weight per side and that makes sense to me, also.

I looked into this, because my right side is stronger than my left, but I decided to just proceed with my SL5x5 program, since it's not that pronounced.

Just fyi, I'm only a month in to training/lifting, so someone else with more experience may have better information than me.
  • gary5661
    gary5661 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    the pull down machine is good to build you up it works your lats but does biceps as a secondery muscle, just do full body work out and it'll catch up took me about 8 months but obviously i was careful as my spine was healing, be patient and it'll come give it time
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    I was always told to work both sides with the amount of weight that the weak side can handle until you catch up to having equal strength. This was a while back though when I was in physical therapy for patellar tendonitis so that might not be the prevailing way of doing things these days.

Yeah, I guess that's going to be the most direct path to where I want to be, but it just seems like such a pity to lose a little ground on the stronger side, but I guess the quicker I can even-out, then the quicker I can move up.
  • rduhlir
    Options

So explain to me then...why you can't go into the free weight area, grab a pair of dumbbells, find an open area (in the machine area if needed) and do your exercises? I go in, grab dumbbells and walk to an area that is open, which may or may not be in the free weight area.

I mean...if you -want- to use machines then fine. But if you are serious about wanting to even out the imbalances then free weights are going to be the way to go. And honestly, you can achieve a lot more with free weight compound exercises in a shorter amount of time as compared to machines.....Like I said, I use free weights only w/ compound exercises and am in and out in 45 minutes....and that is with a heavy crowd some days.