best fitness tracking device

Options
i love technology and all the ways it can help me show me how many steps i really take, if i have a high enough heart rate to burn those cal. that i want to.

Whats your experience with different fitness tracking devices, i see there are soooo many out there. like some for the phones, clips, bracelets. i found this web page and thought great but has anyone tried these? are some of them worth the memberships that we pay for... most of all will they sync with myfitnesspal. yes i did see the page that showed whom myfitnesspal supported though i want your thoughts and why u liked it

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404445,00.asp

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    There are millions of posts about this. Do a search and you'll find lots of advice.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I agree, there are a million posts about this, but for my 2 cents...

I have a fitbit and I adore it! I love the flex, I wear it CONSTANTLY.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and a Polar FT60. The fitbit is great about making me aware of the effects of my general daily activity (or lack thereof). The Polar helps me determine the calories burned in my workouts (so I don't eat too many back), and helps me keep my workouts at the intensity level needed to make progress in my fitness goals.
  • kristenbergeron
    Options
    now alot of reviews say they fall off, have you had any problem with yours?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and a Polar FT60. The fitbit is great about making me aware of the effects of my general daily activity (or lack thereof). The Polar helps me determine the calories burned in my workouts (so I don't eat too many back), and helps me keep my workouts at the intensity level needed to make progress in my fitness goals.

I'll second this. I have a fitbit Ultra (circa 2012) and and Polar T4. I have worn my fitbit continuously since July 2012 and it keeps me very aware of my general movement during the day. I nearly always get my 10,000 steps in and set goals to get more than that. The HRM allows me to calculate calorie burns more accurately for formal exercise activities.

I also find data very motivating. I have even set better sleep goals for myself since I track my sleep with my fitbit.
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar heart rate monitor and it worked well for the first one, but the second one only lasted about 4 months before it was working erratically. I since have gotten a Body Media (like the Biggest Loser people wear) and I thoroughly love it!!! It gives me tons of info and keeps me honest on how much I am burning. Well worth the money!
  • JurgisRudkus
    Options
    now alot of reviews say they fall off, have you had any problem with yours?

YES. I loved it for two weeks. It would pop off from time to time and I felt it come off. But the last time it popped off I never felt it drop wherever I was at the time. It is gone and I'm out $129.00. Not going to replace it even though it worked just fine.
  • misko555
    misko555 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Those are the top 2014 activity trackers some are already on the market and some are yet to come.
    http://progressgear.com/activity-tracker-pick-top-2014/
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like my fitbit one alot. Have not had any problems with it coming off at all, but it is not the "watch type" model it is a clip on. It seems to track calories burned pretty well too, I track food on MFP and fitbit syncs with it and will give you your overall calorie deficit for the week and it has been pretty close to what I actually lose since I have had it. I also use a PolarFT4 for cycling and weight lifting to give me a good idea of burns since fitbit cant really measure that stuff well. Rukeeper is a good app that is free for smartphones. It uses GPS to log you runs and can give you more information about your route and speed that the fitibit will not give you if you are training or anything. That also syncs w/ MFP. Those are the ones I use but there are lots of options and alot of it depends on what kinds of exercise you like to do.
  • kristenbergeron
    Options
    so i got my fitness watch today, i bought the polar ft7 from target and I'm super disappointed by it. perhaps my expectations are unreal for what i want. it has the heart rate sensor but its a chest strap... i wanted it built in to the watch (maybe not possible) i want it to count my steps for the day, and it dose do that but the all in one kinda bums me out. ohh and i want it to sync to my iphone via app or computer etc. not just lose the data. any one have a better idea of what i'm looking for?
    i did review other topics though i couldnt find anything with everything included in an all in one product like i'm looking for.
  • ianholmes1964
    ianholmes1964 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been recommended the jawbone up, getting it tomorrow will let you know.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    so i got my fitness watch today, i bought the polar ft7 from target and I'm super disappointed by it. perhaps my expectations are unreal for what i want. it has the heart rate sensor but its a chest strap... i wanted it built in to the watch (maybe not possible) i want it to count my steps for the day, and it dose do that but the all in one kinda bums me out. ohh and i want it to sync to my iphone via app or computer etc. not just lose the data. any one have a better idea of what i'm looking for?
    i did review other topics though i couldnt find anything with everything included in an all in one product like i'm looking for.

You need the chest strap - although there are HRMs on the market that don't require the chest strap, they're notoriously inaccurate, to the point of being useless.

What you're looking for is a combination activity tracker / HRM, that uploads to an online database. Check out the Polar Loop, and the Garmin Vivofit (although I don't know if the Vivofit is out yet).
  • kristenbergeron
    Options
    thanks for that link it really broke it down so thank you! it looks like the Basis B1 watch is what i'm looking for.. thank you every one