Need lo-cal "frosting" idea for 2 indegrient muffins.

rickloving
rickloving Posts: 90 Member
I love pumpkin and have been making 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins (spice cake and raw pumpkin) but I need a decent "frosting" idea.

I have been using Redi Whip but need something better, preferably cream cheese flavored. I tried making a lower calorie cream cheese frosting using Neufchâtel and powdered Stevia, but it tasted bitter. Not sure if it was the Stevia or that I added too much vanilla extract.

Before I try another round of Neufchâtel and a different powdered sweetener...I wanted to know if someone already found the best solution.

Replies

• morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    I don't know of a low cal frosting, how many calories are in the muffins? because they sound delicious!!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Depends on how much vanilla you added... Too much ruins recipes. Have you tried just low-fat or fat free cream cheese whipped with some vanilla extract (without the stevia)? Cream cheese icings are usually just cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Maybe you could add in some fat-free reddi whip with the cream cheese & vanilla to sweeten it up?
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 152 Member
    I have made these raw cinnamon rolls, and they are great! The frosting is all natural ingredients and tastes great too - I'm sure it would be good on your muffins. I'm not entirely sure of the calorie count since it depends how much frosting you'd use for each muffin.

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/raw-cinnamon-rolls/
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Could be the stevia - or vanilla. Heh heh. I've killed things by putting too much vanilla in. MORE always seems like it's a good idea, but it gets overpowering fast.

Maybe take a small amount of cream cheese and a tinch of the stevia, (we're talking a serving or two) to see if you can lightly sweetened it without the vanilla to your satisfaction? That should give you an idea if it was the vanilla.

Otherwise Cream Cheese / vanilla / sweetener / milk (or cream) is pretty much a standby for a cream cheese frosting.

Personally, I've liked adding stevia in yogurt and cream cheese. I have liquid and powdered stevia at work for the occasional plain greek yogurt urge.

If you want a lighter sweet, you may try a SF flavored torani / davinci syrup with the cream cheese? That's going to be splenda though. Those syrups are pretty flexible for things like that though. I hate them in coffee drinks, but I do like SF Italian sodas and they're good for baking.
  • rickloving
    Thanks, The Pumkin muffins are 89 calories each if you make 24 full sized muffins. I picked up several blocks of Neufchâtel cheese, some vanillia Greek Yogurt, and will try a few small test batches with/without vanillia extract & less Stevia than before.

I found this while searching and will try a small batch of it as well.

Cream Cheese topping- Serv =2Tbl=19 Cal= 8 Srv.

1/2 Cup- Chobani Greek plain non fat yogurt = 70 Cal
    4 Tbl -Philly cream Cheese Fat free = 60 Cal
    1/4 Cup-Silk Light Vanilla soy milk =18 Cal
    more if you want it thinner
    2-1/4 tea- Truvia =0 Cal

per serving ; Cal=19, Prot=3, Carb=3, Fat,Fiber 0, Calcium= 7

Rick Loving
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    I was going to say reduced fat cream cheese and sweetener of your choice. Have you tried mixing in some cinnamon or some of the pumpkin in the with "frosting"?
  • rickloving
    Well, test block 1 didn't work. This was 1 block of low fat cream cheese, 1/3 cup of Vanilla Greek yogurt, 1 TBL spoon of powdered Stevia and ZERO vanilla extract.

As prepared, not sweet enough to be frosting, basically cream cheese. Began by adding 1 TBL spoon of Stevia at a time and taste testing. Flavor switched from cheesy to sweeter but with an unacceptable aftertaste. The previous failure was positively confirmed that it was the Stevia. I fixed this batches taste (but ruined calorie count) by adding actual powdered sugar until sweet again.

I will now have to switch and try the next "low cal" test run using Agave Nectar...
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    If you don't mind splenda, it works well for sweetening stuff. I used it to make cole slaw dressing with low fat mayo and it tasted great.
  • taram1981
    taram1981 Posts: 21 Member
    Here is a terrific GAPs buttercream frosting that is somewhat low cal and sweetened with xylitol, not sugar.. It' s a meringue though, so you need a mixer.

Notes: If you aren’t sugar free, then you can replace the xylitol 1 for 1 with cane sugar.
    Ingredients
    4 egg whites, at room temperature
    1 cup xylitol (or sugar)
    10 ounces (2 ½ sticks) of butter, cubed and at room temperature
    2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    Instructions
    1. Add egg whites and xylitol to the bowl of your mixer and place over a pan of boiling water. Lightly whisk the mixture constantly (no need to whip yet) until the xylitol is completely dissolved, about 7-10 minutes.
    2. Remove from heat and move the bowl to your stand mixer (you can use also use a hand mixer). Using the whip attachment, whip the eggs and xylitol on medium until a stiff peaked meringue is formed and the mixture is completely cool. Your mixing bowl should be completely cool to the touch before you go to the next step.
    3. Switch out the mixer’s whisk attachment with the beater attachment, and start to beat on low speed. Slowly add the softened butter, one piece at a time, and wait until the current piece is completely incorporated before adding the next piece. At some point in the process, the buttercream may start to appear somewhat curdled, but it will eventually come back together, so please don’t fret and think that you have to start over. Just keep adding that butter!
    4. Add the vanilla (or your flavoring of choice) and continue to beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost cakes, cupcakes, etc. immediately, or store in the refrigerator to use at a later time. If you chill the buttercream, be sure to allow enough time for it to come to room temperature before you use it to frost anything.
  • masson24
    masson24 Posts: 23 Member
    Try the pumpkin whip for frosting - if you're really in to pumpkin :)

One tub of cool whip (can use sugar free or fat free or regular)
    One can of pumpkin puree
    tsp vanilla
    pumpkin pie spice to taste
    nutmeg to taste
    cinnamon to taste
    packet sugar free cheesecake or vanilla instant pudding

Whip it all up together and use as frosting!

This dip is also yummy with graham crackers and applle slices.

You can also spread the pumpkin whip on graham crackers and freeze for a treat too!

Adding: this dip is also very good on pumpkin brownies - one box brownie mix and one can pumpkin puree - that's it!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    call my crazy but I like sweet savory combos and I like a slice of cheddar cheese with my muffins :indifferent:

but I would use light cream cheese, a bit of real icing sugar and a small dash of vanilla - if you are dividing it up amongst many muffins how many calories could a tablespoon of icing sugar have? Sometimes you just gotta have the real deal.
  • maybe next time try some "cream"?
  • rickloving
    I'm in maintenance but love to cook and eat, I find myself easily going over my calories. I love to find meals/snacks that I can get as low calorie as possible to maximize the amount I can eat but retaining the enjoyment of the taste.

I will still eat the powdered sugar frosting, i just have to regulate how much...
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Mashed cauliflower sweetened with stevia.
  • LemonLizard
    LemonLizard Posts: 86 Member
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/category/healthy-frosting-recipes/

Check out that link and see if any of those my fit what you need
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    :huh:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I love pumpkin and have been making 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins (spice cake and raw pumpkin) but I need a decent "frosting" idea.

I have been using Redi Whip but need something better, preferably cream cheese flavored. I tried making a lower calorie cream cheese frosting using Neufchâtel and powdered Stevia, but it tasted bitter. Not sure if it was the Stevia or that I added too much vanilla extract.

Before I try another round of Neufchâtel and a different powdered sweetener...I wanted to know if someone already found the best solution.

Low Fat Cream Cheese Frosting
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 16 • Old Points: 1.5 pts • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 64.9 • Fat: 3.0 g • Carb: 8.0 g • Fiber: 2.0 g • Protein: 1.0 g • Sugar: 7.4 g

Cupcakes Servings: 24 • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 1 pt
    Calories: 44.5 • Fat: 2.1 g • Carb: 5.5 g • Fiber: 0.0 g • Protein: 0.7 g • Sugar: 5.1 g

Ingredients:

8 oz 1/3 fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Directions:

Beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.

I'd venture to say that you could cut back on the sugar by 1/2 to 1/4 of the amount. Try 1/2 cup of sugar, then 1/4 cup more, until the sweetness is just enough.
  • kathrinnbauer
    kathrinnbauer Posts: 74 Member
    Inulin... I just love Inulin. It's just fiber, but it adds some sweetness and Inulin and similar fibers are used to make non-fat diary taste like "normal". I add it to all my low-fat diary (unless it is something salty..)

Edit: And I find it makes things less bitter
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    whipped coconut cream

can of full fat coconut milk chilled overnight. skim the top heavy part.. you will have about 1 cup of milk at the bottom save it for smoothies

beat the heavy cream part, add in some vanilla and powdered sugar.. you will have a beautiful whip cream i have used like a cool whip for pies or cupcakes..

healthy fat.. some sweetness from powdered sugar and vanilla.. its really yummy
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    whipped coconut cream

can of full fat coconut milk chilled overnight. skim the top heavy part.. you will have about 1 cup of milk at the bottom save it for smoothies

beat the heavy cream part, add in some vanilla and powdered sugar.. you will have a beautiful whip cream i have used like a cool whip for pies or cupcakes..

healthy fat.. some sweetness from powdered sugar and vanilla.. its really yummy

nice tip! Iove coconut :)