Made my own lower calorie Hummus for the 1st time

Options
rickloving
rickloving Posts: 90 Member
My favorite Hummus is Sabra Supremely Spicy (red pepper) but at 70 calories a tablespoon I can rack up some calories snacking on it.

I decided to try and make my own "lower" calorie version and was pretty happy with the results.

1 130 gr can of Garbonzo beans drained
2 TBL spoons of drained garbonzo bean juice
7 TBL spoon of Ortega Hot Sauce

Puree in blender until smooth

Add 1/2 cup of Jalapenos and blend until chopped up.

The hummus without the added olive oil and Tahini really dropped the calorie count.

Current nutritional breakdown is under 20 calories per serving.

.3 gr FAT
100 mg Sodium
36 mg Potassium
3.6 gr Total Carbs
.7 gr Fiber
.3 gr Sugar
.9 gr Protien
1.4% Vit A
1.5% Iron

Replies

• MissAmyB80
    MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    But how did it taste??????
  • rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am really happy with the taste, my blender was not up to par with the task making the beams 100% smooth and creamy like the store bought as mine still has some small chunkiness to it.

I won't be buying the Sabra or similiar branded items any more, as I like mine that much and can eat 3 times as much and still be lower in calorie intake...

Plus as this was my first attempt, my next batch will contiune to play with seasonings..maybe a little garlic and some crushed roasted red pepper.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm making a big batch tomorrow for the Super Bowl. I read recently that using dry beans gives you smoother hummus. I love making it, so much cheaper!
  • jenrizzo1
    Options
    I love making hummus! The key to silky smooth perfect texture is to skin the beans before pureeing. Just squeeze each bean gently and it will pop out of its skin. :) It doesn't take too long, but I admit I'm usually too lazy for that last step.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    Mmmm this sounds good!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I'm making a big batch tomorrow for the Super Bowl. I read recently that using dry beans gives you smoother hummus. I love making it, so much cheaper!

Good tip! I will try that!
  • Housekat61
    Housekat61 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That sounds great ! I make mine using fat free Greek yogurt, but Ill have to try the salsa..
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this a try! Sounds good!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Have not tried it yet but someone told me to add just a drop or two of sesame oil to get the taste of Tahini without all the fat and calories. Seems logical.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I did a low fat one for the first time last week.
    chickpeas 1 can, juice of a whole large lemon, fresh parsley and coriander ( cilantro)
    chili flakes, garlic, salt and pepper.