HELP! QUESTION about Silk Almond Milk!!!

Options
Okay, so I ended up with 6 cartons of Silk Almond Milk....they expire February 6, 2014.....WHICH IS SOON! So, I need to know--exactly how long can I keep after the expiration date if it's UNOPENED?

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Can you freeze them?
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    http://www.doesitgobad.com/does-almond-milk-go-bad/

As long as they are unopened and refrigerated, you've got weeks to a few months. Once you open it, you need to polish it off quickly and keep it refrigerated.
  • lhanson0851
    lhanson0851 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would put one or two in the freezer.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I read that you can, but it gets nasty and the milk and other ingredients separate and it gets a icky texture.
  • amosmoses88
    Options
    I read that you can, but it gets nasty and the milk and other ingredients separate and it gets a icky texture.

To the person about freezing them...
  • missionskinnynow
    missionskinnynow Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I tried freezing "whole foods 365 organic almond milk".. did not turn out well.. the ingredients separated :( so I had to toss them anyway!
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    They should be fine as long as you don't open them. But you have plenty of time. I know in my house we go through at least 2 a week. Make some smoothies - have some cereal - it will be all good.
  • HealthyMami1612
    Options
    Ok when you freeze things they often will separate but this is actually quite normal as long as you fully defrost at an unforced rate and shake or stir well before use it shouldn't be a problem. If you feel texture or taste has morphed at all I just suggest using the one that has been frozen when mixing in something. A shake etc :happy: :happy: Good luck
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a big family, I'd share some. Bring some to work for people to add to their coffee or just post stickies that they are free. But I'm in the "when in doubt throw it out" camp.
  • amosmoses88
    Options
    Yeah I'm going to use it in cooking and whatever else I can. But hey, it was given to me so close to the date, I don't want to put 6 cartons or even just 1 carton on someone else to try and drink all that before the date. My son likes it with chocolate milk I suppose, so that's a plus. lol. I also have some protein powder, so I'll just chock in with that and mix it up.
  • veronicaadavis7
    Options
    I coupon, so I often buy 6 or 12 of something instead of just one or two... and those things are often not things you would normally freeze, I bought some almond breeze unsweetened almond/coconut milk blend (okay alot, it was a great sale). All I did was pour out about 1/2 cup from each to allow for expansion when it froze and put them in my chest freezer. So long as you let them thaw in the fridge, don't try to thaw them quickly, they taste and feel no different. Yeah you may need to shake them up the first time you use it after it thaws, but they are homogonized liquids and freezing will make the oils, proteins and water content separate. If it feels weird, like the other person said, use them in smoothies or other mixtures instead of straight but the taste shouldn't be at all compromised.