Cheat day?

Options
Saturday is when I'm going to celebrate Lunar New Year which means I'll be visiting my family, and there will A LOT of great food that is usually only eaten during the celebration. However, since it is also the first of February, I had planned to start Ripped in 30. I'm worried that I'll end up having a "cheat day/meal" and that causes me a lot of stress.

When I talked to my friends, they suggested I take it as cheat day, but I hate the idea of starting a new workout month with eating a lot. It also makes me feel like I undo everything I have worked for in the past. However, I'm also afraid I'll try to control my intake but end up eating way too much and stressing even more. Maybe I'm being too neurotic about the whole thing, but will a cheat day affect what I've worked for? Or should I just do my best to not eat?

Replies

• hillarayray
    Options
    Hey don't stress!!! As they say, "just because you're having a bad day doesn't make it a bad life." The same thing goes for cheat meals or cheat days, yeah you may have a misstep one day, but don't let that ruin everything for you. It happens. Just like if you drop your phone, they say, just because you drop it does it mean you need to keep throwing it on the ground and smashing it up just because you dropped it once? No.

So have a little cheat meal or cheat day, but remember your ultimate goal and don't beat yourself up for it. :)
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have actually done better on my diet and lost more since starting a cheat day once a week, but don't get me wrong, cheating should be done in moderation!

I try to stay at or below maintenance calories that day so you don't undo any hard work but still get to splurge a bit.
  • nomnomgoodies
    nomnomgoodies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. If I do eat, should I try to eat as little as possible during the day to save up my calories for dinner?
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress it too much. Just go and enjoy yourself. Take a plate of food and don't go in for seconds. Enjoy a dessert plate. If you really want to feel better about it - do your new workout, go for a 30 minute walk and then do a 30 minute yoga session. At least that way you won't feel so much residual guilt about enjoying a holiday! Give yourself a break :)