Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help! I'm having to eat at a Chinese Restaurant tonight!

Help!!!

So my boyfriends mother is having a bunch of people get together to eat at a Chinese restaurant tonight for the Chinese New Year..I have no choice but to attend!

What is the healthiest food i can order?! Or Tips any one has to help me choose from the menu!

Thank you!
-Stephy

Replies

• debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    You can ask them to steam the vegetables and get the meat with the sauce on the side so that it is not swimming in calories. You can probably modify existing dishes or just ask for what you want.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I found this on Jillian Michael's website because I'm having dinner at a Chinese restaurant next week.

The best rule of thumb is to choose a dish that isn't breaded and deep-fried (goodbye egg rolls!). Avoid rice and noodles and steer clear of sugary sauces like sweet and sour. Opt for dishes that have meat and a vegetable with the sauce on the side, for instance beef and broccoli dishes, shrimp and snow peas, garlic chicken, Mongolian beef steak.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Help!!!

So my boyfriends mother is having a bunch of people get together to eat at a Chinese restaurant tonight for the Chinese New Year..I have no choice but to attend!

What is the healthiest food i can order?! Or Tips any one has to help me choose from the menu!

Thank you!
    -Stephy

Use moderation and commonsense. It's one meal. Relax and enjoy!
  • stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Sauce on the side! I didn't even think to ask that! that's exactly what i'll do! thank you!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Help!!!

Thank you!
    -Stephy

+1
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    me too. i'm going to PG Changs for happy hour. have fun it's one meal.

if you're going to a real chinese restaurant (and not like me :laugh: ) then try some things you've never had. stinky tofu is a dish that should be tried at least once, you might even like it
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    You might look up one of the chains for some ideas.....not an exact match....but at least you have some ideas.

Panda Express has some lighter menu items....chicken & brocolli......yum
  • stephgetsfit2
    You can ask them to steam the vegetables and get the meat with the sauce on the side so that it is not swimming in calories. You can probably modify existing dishes or just ask for what you want.

Sauce on the side! I didn't even think to ask that! that's exactly what i'll do! thank you!
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    See if the restaurant has a web site, if so - do they have calories posted. If not, find a national chain and see if they have their calories posted. Try PF Changs, maybe they have the ingredients and calories. Drink the tea and if you can before you leave for the restaurant have a salad. Good luck.
  • stephgetsfit2
    You might look up one of the chains for some ideas.....not an exact match....but at least you have some ideas.

Unfortunately it's not a chain. That would have made it so much easier. It's an authentic restaurant. They only have one location.
  • stephgetsfit2
    I found this on Jillian Michael's website because I'm having dinner at a Chinese restaurant next week.

The best rule of thumb is to choose a dish that isn't breaded and deep-fried (goodbye egg rolls!). Avoid rice and noodles and steer clear of sugary sauces like sweet and sour. Opt for dishes that have meat and a vegetable with the sauce on the side, for instance beef and broccoli dishes, shrimp and snow peas, garlic chicken, Mongolian beef steak.

I'm thinking of going with the Chicken and Broccoli.. definitely with the sauce on the side now that i know to ask! Thank you!
  • stephgetsfit2
    Moderation is definitely key! thank you!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Help!!!

Thank you!
    -Stephy

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!

Whatever your fitness goals are you have to be able to still enjoy life and enjoy food. 1 meal will not destroy any progress.
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Help!!!

Thank you!
    -Stephy

+1

+2
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    just eat what you want and enjoy it.its only a chinese......:)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Anything fried is going to be higher in calories, get steamed veggies, broccoli beef is usually pretty good, teriyaki or pepper chicken is not fried, and several shrimp dishes are typically not fried. Don't be scared, just be prepared.

Rigger
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member

Unfortunately it's not a chain. That would have made it so much easier. It's an authentic restaurant. They only have one location.

if it's an authentic chinese place then dont worry about it. chinese people eat real chinese food all the time and they dont get fat.
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Anything fried is going to be higher in calories, get steamed veggies, broccoli beef is usually pretty good, teriyaki or pepper chicken is not fried, and several shrimp dishes are typically not fried. Don't be scared, just be prepared.

Rigger

^THIS^...excellent advice
    :smile:
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    You might also make sure you get yourself some soup before the main course so you don't eat as much of the higher calorie stuff.

Hot and sour soup is very tasty :D and the liquids will tend to fill you up.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,855 Member
    Not all Chinese food is fatty. Avoid fried rice and noodles. Have a small quantity of plain rice with a stir fry. Avoid dishes are deep fried. That includes sweet and sour chicken and lemon chicken and general Tso chicken, where the meat is breaded, deep fried and then stir fried in a sweet sauce. Avoid aubergine dishes, which absorbs tons of oil.

Beef with broccoli, prawns with vegetables, Ma Po Tofu. Szechuan green beans, stuffed tofu or green peppers (typically stuffed with a combination of white fish and shrimp), steamed fish with ginger, would all be fairly light choices. Don't have deep fried starters. Stick to soup as a starter. Winter melon soup or hot and sour soup are quite light.