23 with Rice Krispie knees :(

Options
So I moved from Michigan to Florida in September, and walking up my boyfriends steps I noticed my right knee making a crackling, gravel grinding kind of sound... I've been looking all over the internet and I can't find an answer to what it is.

I'm curious as to if it's arthiritis already, or if it can be helped with weight loss. I'm 5'5" and 220 lbs :( Numerous failed attempts at diet and exercise since I was twelve.

Replies

• ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen from time to time, but it usually only occurs for a second and once I'm up the stairs, it doesn't happen again for awhile (months, sometimes). I live on the third floor, so it usually freaks me out for a day or two and then I forget about it until the next time it happens. I have similar stats: 5'4" and 237 lbs. I think we're just putting a lot of pressure on our joints. :(
  • professormudd1
    Options
    Losing weight will absolutely help reduce stress on your knees, hips, ankles, spine, and organs... But you should really talk to a doctor before beginning a fitness regimen.

For me, my back and knees crack a lot less since I started exercising frequently, but it really depends on what is going on inside. You should be evaluated by a physician to make sure you don't do more harm than good.
  • DearlyBeloved
    Options
    Mine happens every time I bend down :( That's why it was starting to concern me. Especially being in just my early 20's..

I'm starting a new job, so I'm going to start taking healthy lunches with me to try and get on track slowly. I'm hoping I'll get into a routine and then healthy eating/diet will come like second nature.
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My knees pop/crack everyday. :( So does my back, elbows, neck, ankles... I'm really poppy. Concerns me too. Like, my hip, it pops! It's jut weird and painful.. And I'm really not too terribly overweight. 153 at 5'8. :/
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Its nothing to worry about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synovial_fluid

When the two articulating surfaces of a synovial joint are separated from one other, the volume within the joint capsule increases and a negative pressure results. The volume of synovial fluid within the joint is insufficient to fill the expanding volume of the joint and gases dissolved in the synovial fluid (mostly carbon dioxide) are liberated and quickly fill the empty space, leading to the rapid formation of a bubble.[15] This process is known as cavitation. Cavitation in synovial joints results in a high frequency 'cracking' sound.[16][17]"
  • xmoony90
    xmoony90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem though for me it can get very painful if i don't move my knees for a while too. Unfortunately it isn't all because of the weight. I started getting the problem when i was about your weight ( I'm 5' 6) but 100 pounds down i still get it, its actually gotten worse. I went to the doctor, she couldn't tell me what the problem was, don't seem like she cared anyway. So I'm actually going to see a physiotherapist next week, hopefully they can tell me whats wrong and fix it :) so my advice is got to the doctor, see if they can figure it out.
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm at a completely normal weight, and pretty young, and I get the same thing with my ankles. My family jokes that I would be an awful spy, because the can hear me walking from a mile away.. I am a symphony of crackles, I feel ya!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt?

I've had crispy, crunchy, crackly knees since I was in my early 20's. I'm 42 now. My knees still crackle, but they don't hurt. The orthopedist I saw told me not to worry... so I don't.

Maybe you should make an appointment for yourself and have it checked out... for peace of mind, if nothing else!
  • professormudd1
    Options
    Its nothing to worry about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synovial_fluid

When the two articulating surfaces of a synovial joint are separated from one other, the volume within the joint capsule increases and a negative pressure results. The volume of synovial fluid within the joint is insufficient to fill the expanding volume of the joint and gases dissolved in the synovial fluid (mostly carbon dioxide) are liberated and quickly fill the empty space, leading to the rapid formation of a bubble.[15] This process is known as cavitation. Cavitation in synovial joints results in a high frequency 'cracking' sound.[16][17]"

I would still be evaluated by a healthcare professional. Not every crack is caused by the same mechanism. It can/may indicate a problem. It might be nothing, but better safe than sorry.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Bad news: Both of my knees do this, but the left is worse than the right. Losing weight has definitely helped. I have a partially torn meniscus and a popliteal cyst in my left knee and arthritis in both knees. I was headed for knee replacements and I'm only 45 so that was a big motivator to get the weight off. I'm still headed for knee replacements - but after 60 I hope.

Good news: Most people have this noise in their knees occasionally. There is a certain amount of fluid in all of your joints. How well hydrated you are, how much pressure your own weight is putting on your knees, inflammation from arthritis and even the barometric pressure can affect how much fluid is there to keep your femur from grinding against your patella or tibia when you bend your knee. The same thing makes your knuckles pop.

If it becomes painful or more frequent, ask your doctor about it. A referral to a good physical therapist who gave me specific exercises to strengthen the muscles around my knees helped me avoid having the meniscus surgically removed when I tore it dancing.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'm at a completely normal weight, and pretty young, and I get the same thing with my ankles. My family jokes that I would be an awful spy, because the can hear me walking from a mile away.. I am a symphony of crackles, I feel ya!

^That's me^
    Ever since I was little (wasn't overweight then) my ankles snap when I walk. Can't hear it when I wear socks & shoes though.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If it's painful, I would see your doctor about it.

If it isn't painful, then read the article about fluid ^^^
  • denakg2004
    denakg2004 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have this in my left knee as well. It started a few months ago. I assumed it was from my runner's knee diagnosis (patellafemoral stress syndrome). It doesn't hurt but every time I go up steps it is crunch crunch crunch.
  • leah_mae
    Options
    I had knee pain for 4 years in my late teens and early 20's before getting it checked out by an doctor and doing physical therapy. Now when it flares up I just do my exercises and in a few days the pain is gone.

My knee issues come from muscles on the outside of my thigh and hip being very tight (almost painful if they are pressed on) and the inside of my thigh being flabby. The result is the knee is being pulled tighter together on one side than the other and can cause problems. My knee cap also grinds because it is not able to align properly with it groove when this happens. When I have pain I work on strengthening my inner thigh by doing squats with my toes turned out and stretching the rest of my leg to get it to balance out.

I hope you get it figured out! Good luck!
  • tmaree2
    tmaree2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    my left knee has been doing the crunchy gravel sound when bending/climbing for a while now, couple of years actually. my doctor told me off when I went to him finally as the xray showed that it was small bits of cartilage and tears that were causing the noise and could have been fixed with minor surgery, scraping it clean. now the damage is too severe and I have bone on bone so it is knee replacement for me when it becomes unbearable. that is double knee replacement...look after it and get it seen to asap.
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    See your doctor, if it's something you can get answers and treatment. If it's nothing even better.
    Free advice is worth every penny you pay for it, and your knees deserve better care.