Advice needed from men in their 50's

Options
Hello
I'm looking for some inspiration for my other half who is mid fifties and overweight/unfit. He had started to track his calories and I'm proud of him that he is trying to do something about his weight issue. I think it would help if he could see how some other similar males are managing and what successes they have had. He seems stuck in a rut about exercise and hasn't started to be more active yet but from my own experience on here it makes such a difference. I feel he is thinking he is too much into middle age to really make a difference but I bet there's plenty of similar guys out there who have started this in their fifties.
Before and after photos would be great just to show him what he could achieve if he sticks with it.
Thanks

Replies

• cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hello
    Any takers for this one? Maybe I posted it at the wrong time of day, hoping more folk will see it now......
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do it in your 50s. I went from over 200 lbs to 165 two years ago when I was 50. I'm a 5' 7" male, 52 years old.
    I've maintained for about 1.5 years. I ate at a deficit and walked 5 days/week, 3 miles at about 3.5 mph/10 deg incline. I also mixed in some resistance training on a cardioglide machine. Consistency will work. Track EVERYTHING.
    I may not be of help to him now though as I don't really track faithfully. I re-learned how to eat properly and don't really need to any more unless I see my weight creeping back up.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 50's but I didn't just start eating right and working out. When I was in my middle 20's I had a plan. I wanted to have an exercise routine that I could do well up into my 70's or 80's, so rather than during all of the hard core workouts I chose push ups and crunches, fast walking and my Nordic Track Skier. Those are exercises he can start now as well.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, it's encouraging to see what others have done. Fred, congratulations on your hard work and even harder work maintaining. And eheavin0, exercises which can be done indoors are a good idea for him.
    Thanks guys!