Should I be eating back the calories I've worked off?

Options
I've always struggled with this. I started using MFP in October 2011 and when I first started, I didn't eat back the calories I had burned off. That was when I lost the most weight.

Then someone told me that I should be eating back the calories, because otherwise it could have an adverse affect, because I might not be eating ENOUGH calories. But then I stopped losing weight as quickly. In fact, I've actually gained back 10-12 of the pounds I had originally lost.

So now I'm conflicted.

For instance: today I have eaten about 800 calories so far (I still have dinner and probably some kind of smoothie or snack later, don't worry!). But I worked off (through walking and a workout at the gym) over 700 calories. My daily goal, guided by MFP is 1640 calories. The idea of having to eat almost 1500 calories still today makes me want to barf! I'd have to eat like a whole pizza. There's no way I could eat 1500 calories of healthy food between now and bedtime without feeling like I'm stuffing myself to the brim. So for today at least, I'm going to stick to the calorie goal of 1640.

BUT HELP! WHAT SHOULD I BE DOING IN GENERAL? 2400 calories in a day seems like way too much food for me.

Alexa

51250813.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I think you know the answer - you're eating way to much for your activity level.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I know, it seems like a lot. I never eat back all my exercises calories. Like, for example, if I burn 700 calories at the gym, I might eat back a couple hundred but I won't eat back the entire 700 calories. Sometimes MFP wants me to eat 1900 or 2100 to lose weight when I work out. I am pretty sure I maintain on 2100 calories, not lose on it!

As far as eating back the exercise calories, I think it depends on the individual. Some people find that eating their calories back actually helps them lose weight more. It doesn't work out well for others, like you. I think you need to do what works best for you. Maybe eat some of the calories back, especially if you are hungry.

But I think the 1600 calorie goal sounds good! Maybe you can eat a little more or a little less depending on the day.
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes... and no.

If you have a mega work out burning lots of calories, eat most of them back... if you have a light work out, just leave it be.
  • DanelleVT
    Options
    I myself find this very thing to be boggling and confusing! I have decided to try out NOT eating back my calories for the next two weeks and see what happens. I know that they are there and if I do decide I need a snack I can do so without feeling guilty but I think others that have replied and said it really all depends on the individual is right, we are all built differently and it's really about finding out what works for you. Just be certain you are at least eating your daily goal calorie intake. Some days I find that challenging as I just don't feel hungry. GOOD LUCK! :)
  • GEMMA_2014
    Options
    I never eat back the calories I have worked off. I would love to but my metabolism does not afford me that luxury. I need to stay within my calorie limit or I simply stop losing weight. It is a bummer. I have gotten use to it and have learned to love the food I can eat..
  • alexamaeparker
    alexamaeparker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you know the answer - you're eating way to much for your activity level.

This response immediately strikes me as completely rude, so I'd appreciate it if you only respond with helpful things.

I have been guided by MFP to choose a calorie goal. I am a busy waitress five days a week, eight hours a day, and my calorie goal is just fine thank you. I didn't ask you to judge my goals, I asked you to help me with a question I had regarding intake.
  • alexamaeparker
    alexamaeparker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As for everybody else, thank you for your help!!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If you have gained back 10-12 pounds, you are eating too much. How do you measure your calorie burns?

I used to eat my exercise calories back, but I had MFP set th sedentary and my base was 1300. I also never burned 700 calories in one day. There is something in your set up that is off?

Is 1640 your TDEE? Because then you don't eat back your calories.
  • fitgirlforlife1
    Options
    eat them back
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with this. I started using MFP in October 2011 and when I first started, I didn't eat back the calories I had burned off. That was when I lost the most weight.

Then someone told me that I should be eating back the calories, because otherwise it could have an adverse affect, because I might not be eating ENOUGH calories. But then I stopped losing weight as quickly. In fact, I've actually gained back 10-12 of the pounds I had originally lost.

So now I'm conflicted.

For instance: today I have eaten about 800 calories so far (I still have dinner and probably some kind of smoothie or snack later, don't worry!). But I worked off (through walking and a workout at the gym) over 700 calories. My daily goal, guided by MFP is 1640 calories. The idea of having to eat almost 1500 calories still today makes me want to barf! I'd have to eat like a whole pizza. There's no way I could eat 1500 calories of healthy food between now and bedtime without feeling like I'm stuffing myself to the brim. So for today at least, I'm going to stick to the calorie goal of 1640.

BUT HELP! WHAT SHOULD I BE DOING IN GENERAL? 2400 calories in a day seems like way too much food for me.

Alexa

Your diary is not open to the public, so unfortunately my response is going to be a bit limited.

In regards to your question about eating back exercise calories: Yes. You only have about 30lbs or so to lose and should be aiming for roughly a half pound loss per week, maybe a full pound if you're lucky. Trying to lose more than that per week will likely result in a loss of muscle mass, which is a bad thing. So in short: Yes, eat back your exercise calories and try to maintain a 250-500 calorie deficit per day.

As for regaining weight, are you measuring your foods with a food scale? It is very difficult to accurately assess your intake without it.

And you don't need to eat only "healthy" foods. You can eat "junk" food to reach your calorie goal. However, if you're against that for whatever reason, then just eat more calorie dense foods.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    Find your sweet spot. Try this...

If your threshold is 1500 Calories and you burn another 700, eat back just some of them, maybe 20%. Do this for a week and see if you lose weight. If you lose more than you planned, eat back another 20% and keep doing this until you hit the weight that you should be losing a week.

I am in the midst of doing this, I was leaving hundreds and sometimes over 1000 calories on the table. Sure I lose almost 4 lbs a week for two consecutive weeks but my friends got really alarmed when I told them I had a surgery coming up, they urged me to eat some of those calories back.

Last week, as I was recovering from surgery, I ate at my threshold or right below it and lost 1.2 lbs (goal is 1.5 per week). This week, I am adding some walking back in and am going to eat up to my threshold and a maybe a bit more.

Just keep trying new things, it's a moving target but you will find your sweet spot, good luck.
  • jacklo
    jacklo Posts: 17
    Options
    This is my first post or reply on here, and so please pardon me, but I'm a bit confused. If the objective is weight loss (and hopefully mostly body fat loss versus muscle loss), isn't being in a caloric deficit the idea? If so, then regardless of whether calories in or calories out comes from diet or activity levels, you want to expend more than you take in. Right? The trick then is to figure out what the right deficit is for you, which I'm guessing varies greatly from individual to individual.

Trial and error might be one way to go about it. If I ate an extra-large pizza right every night at 10 p.m. as an extra pre-bedtime snack and at the end of one week weighed two more pounds, I probably would stop doing that and try something different (maybe Pez candy since they're my favorite...wait...probably not a good idea...lol).
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    This is my first post or reply on here, and so please pardon me, but I'm a bit confused. If the objective is weight loss (and hopefully mostly body fat loss versus muscle loss), isn't being in a caloric deficit the idea? If so, then regardless of whether calories in or calories out comes from diet or activity levels, you want to expend more than you take in. Right? The trick then is to figure out what the right deficit is for you, which I'm guessing varies greatly from individual to individual.

Trial and error might be one way to go about it. If I ate an extra-large pizza right every night at 10 p.m. as an extra pre-bedtime snack and at the end of one week weighed two more pounds, I probably would stop doing that and try something different (maybe Pez candy since they're my favorite...wait...probably not a good idea...lol).

Hey there! Glad to see you finally venture into the forums after 3 years!!

Being at a calorie deficit is absolutely necessary for weight loss, but you want to try to do it in a controlled manner. Your body can only burn so much fat before it turns to muscles for fuel and starts shutting down critical bodily functions in order to save itself. So a 250-500 calorie deficit for someone with not much to lose is by far more ideal than that same person trying to be in a -2000 calorie deficit.

And you could eat an extra large pizza every day before bed, and provided that you're meeting your calorie goals, you would still lose weight. :) Although, you would initially gain weight due to the sodium content making you retain water.
  • jacklo
    jacklo Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello. To clarify, apparently, I signed up for myfitnesspal some years ago (but don't remember doing it). I think I just logged in that one time...before doing so again tonight (looking for a calorie counter).

I agree 100% about the range of caloric deficits. 250-500 calories seems to be a common range I see mentioned frequently online. Personally, I can operate at a much larger deficit (so long as I incorporate weightlifting with heavy weights in a low rep range and get adequate protein) without any obvious issues...but everyone's different. My example with the nightly pizza had to do more with the trial and error aspect. If the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", then you'd have to think the converse is true. If it's broke, fix it.

P.S., I just realized that I committed a pet peeve of mine by not giving Jane a straight answer. I'm no expert but there was some good advice from other posters about being in a 250-500 calorie deficit on a daily basis. Try to do the math every day and see where you fall. My gut (no pun intended) tells me, however, that you don't want to eat more than your appetite dictates (i.e., force down that pizza). Unless you are taking precautions against losing muscle mass, however, you definitely don't want to operate at too great a deficit for extended periods. I'm a big believer in trial and error. Find out what works for you and then stick with it...at least until it doesn't work for you any more. Then you have to tweak things, or possibly completely change them up. Good luck, and remember that willpower, something not discussed enough in my honest opinion, is a key to achieving your goals.
  • kaye5060
    Options
    I am trying to figure out the same thing, so if I burned 700 or more I try to eat a few calories back. Question you do not look as if you weigh that much and you are allotted over 1600 of calories on Nov? I weigh over 200 lbs and allotted 1470, which is enough . I would not eat all the calories back if it worked for you. I pray your success.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    The idea is to eat back at least half of your exercise calories. I say half because MFP overestimates what you burn through various activities.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat back your exercise calories but you don't want to overeat either... So unless you use a heart rate monitor with a strap and you're 100% sure of your calorie burn, I would only eat 75% of them back anyway.

Also you have to make sure to weigh all your food so you're not overeating... might be why you feel so full on 1600 calories (I eat 1600 calories... I don't work out anywhere that much and I could definitely eat more most days).

Or just use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ with a 20% deficit, that way you don't even have to worry about exercise calories at all.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I always ate back my exercise calories but it was because I was hungry. If you're not hungry and the thought of eating those calories back makes you cringe, then don't eat them back. This is the thing about weight loss - do what works for you. You were seeing progress doing what you were doing but then you over thought it in my opinion. Were you feeling weak during your workouts? Were you light headed? Were you feeling hungry late at night and then eating things unhealthy because of it? Did the calorie limit make you feel like you were sacrificing food every day? If not, then continue to do what worked for you. What works for other people, including myself, may not work for you. There are basic health issues that a lot of people have to consider, but if your progress was working for you and your DOCTOR didn't have any issues with it, then keep doing what you were doing.