One Small Change

Options
"Start with small changes" is a suggestion that is often given when one wishes to lose weight. What is one change that you have made with your eating habits that has made a huge positive difference in your weight loss journey?

Replies

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    portion control.

I still eat what I want, just less of it.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    logging calories - I have never done that before - I tried the WW points system and it didn't work for me - no knocking WW just wasn't what I needed
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I would have to say that if a new person could make only one change every few months, I would highly recommend that they start by learning to log their food accurately and consistently.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    logging calories - I have never done that before - I tried the WW points system and it didn't work for me - no knocking WW just wasn't what I needed

I agree with the logging. I know I have said this before but I think I got my weight loss started again because I weigh everything (then log it in to see how I am doing)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Getting a food scale and weighing my food
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would have to say that if a new person could make only one change every few months, I would highly recommend that they start by learning to log their food accurately and consistently.

Thanks for this. I am learning to log my food for the first time ever. its making me more aware of what i put in my mouth and how often i was taking those small bites of whatever. man they add up!!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Thanks for this. I am learning to log my food for the first time ever. its making me more aware of what i put in my mouth and how often i was taking those small bites of whatever. man they add up!!

Yes, it is the most powerful tool in your weight management belt. Also, as ItsCasey suggested above you, getting a food scale and weighing your food is incredibly important as it helps to ensure you are getting the most accurate data possible.
  • ktaylormusic
    ktaylormusic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Eating more protein, especially at breakfast. Eggs or protein shake or greek yogurt -- I find I can totally do the recommended daily calories without being ravenous.

That was the one small change.

The big one, that I'm still working on, and that is hard for me, I'll still mention because it's made such a difference to my weight loss and to my whole relationship to food: only eat when eating. No reading, tv etc to distract me. I eat way less and way better.

Best of luck in your efforts
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I hadn't found MFP at this time, but when I was pregnant with my daughter (now 6), I was borderline gestational diabetic.
    The nutritionist told me to CUT OUT EVERYTHING containing High Fructose Corn Syrup...... :huh:
    Do you know how much food has that garbage in it?! Not just juice, pop/soda... but breads, condiments, cereals, crackers & more.
    Long story short, I lost 25 lbs just by cutting that out of my diet.
    After that, I fell back into the HFCS 'trap'. Then several months after joining MFP I decided to cut out some of the things I had before. I rarely drink pop (it's pretty bland now), and drink mostly water or homemade iced tea (unsweetened most of the time).

I also use a food scale. And logging is definitely a big help.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here are a few in order that I would add them: Since you are MFP start with logging and make some friends who are where you are and also who are where you want to be whom can share tips with you. If you drink a lot of soda (or other calorie drinks) I would work on cutting that out first; one of the easiest ways to cut out calories without sacrificing being full. Start cooking, you have a lot more control over what is in your food and you can fit it in your goals way easier. Try to put more protein and fat in you calories if you are having trouble staying full; that will also assist with maintaining lean body mass while losing fat, we still want some muscle on there when this is all said and done.
  • BlessedMom78
    BlessedMom78 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Positive visualization.