How do you stop snacking before bed??

Options
Hey guys,

So my weight loss has been pretty on track lately. The only issue is, in the hours between eating dinner and going to bed, I get a bit bored and tend to snack.

Anyone know any tricks to stop this happening??

It's driving me crazy!!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I anticipate that I usually like to have an evening snack and save a portion of my calories for an evening treat.
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Evening was my danger period for the snacking turning into a snack fest. Keeping my hands busy works - lately scrolling through and reading posts on MFP!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't! I save quite a lot of my calories for just before bed (in fact more often than not I don't get time for dinner until 10/10.30pm). I can't sleep if I don't eat before bed. It's not hunger that keeps me awake, I don't know why it is. I just toss and turn for hours.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Save some cals for a snack

Brush your teeth

Go to bed ...

:)
  • nofatjac
    Options
    Clean your teeth and go to bed early... they are my tips if i feel it will get the better of me.
  • tinafulcher1
    tinafulcher1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had exactly the same issue this week, so I'm going out today to buy a knitting pattern and some wool, and am going to occupy my hands of an evening. I will also save back a few calories for a Weight Watchers snack bar or a small fruit salad.
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    Hey guys,

So my weight loss has been pretty on track lately. The only issue is, in the hours between eating dinner and going to bed, I get a bit bored and tend to snack.

Anyone know any tricks to stop this happening??

It's driving me crazy!!

I drink a lot of water because it can never hurt. :smile: I normally struggle getting the recommended water intake in, throughout the day, so... win/win.
  • kit_liu
    kit_liu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for a snack, adjust snack as to how many calories I have left. But then I look at the macros as well as the calories per day and dont stick to the 1200 limit that MFP puts down for me, but let it guide rather than restrict what I eat.
  • GEMMA_2014
    Options
    I seem to require food before going to bed. Last night I had Wholly Guacamole with celery sticks. Sometimes I have pizza or a sandwich. I allow myself to have what I want with portion control.

You said you get bored so you eat. You may want to find a hobby to keep your hands busy and your mind off of food.

I.
  • 842trigon
    Options
    If I suddenly feel like snacking I get up and put some of my favourite up beat tracks on and dance to them, after about 4 or 5 tracks the very act of getting the oxygen pumping around my body seems to take the edge of my boredom which I think is why I suddenly need to snack. But I always save enough calories for my hot chocolate (Cadbury's Highlights 40 cals) before bed
  • Jrk_fitness
    Jrk_fitness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a planned snack before bed. 2 Rice Cakes with 40g of fat free cottage cheese.
    Or I have a bowl of frozen Yogurt before bed.
    If you plan your day and you keep your calories under control. you can have a snack before bed.
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You are snacking because you are tired. The body is telling you that it wants energy and fastest way to get that is by eating -especially high sugar foods. Just go to bed earlier, sleep more. Research shows that women need one hour of sleep more than men do, so going to be 1 hour earlier than the husband/boyfriend is a good idea and you also don't have to deal with trying to fall asleep while he is snooring loudly :-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Leave some calories for it or ignore it and go to bed. I go to bed much earlier now.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just go to bed early. Most of the time when I do that, I woke up and my craving is gone. :)
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Eat the snack! I plan for my evening snack in the morning, so I have calories for it saved up. There is nothing wrong with eating before bed, it is irrelevant to weight loss. Just plan for it and enjoy :)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as many others here, I always leave a few calories to eat before going to bed. Right now it's 8:20pm and I've got about 340 calories to go, so I'll eat some fruit in the next couple of hours before going to bed. I can't stand going to bed hungry.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    I anticipate that I usually like to have an evening snack and save a portion of my calories for an evening treat.

This. I usually like to have an evening snack on Saturdays--we stay up and watch a movie, and everyone else is eating potato chips. So I must have some and I pre log my meals that morning and plan for it. But other nights, I brush my teeth right after dinner. I am so lazy that if I do want a snack, the thought of having to brush my teeth *again* is painful enough that I forego the snack.

Or I get my Kindle out and play Scrabble. Takes two hands, no free hand to snack.

ETA that sometimes a cup of tea works, too.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I don't! I usually allow myself an after dinner/before bed snack or two.