Can someone pease help me with TDEE

Options
Hi,

I've tried TDEE before but just got really confused by it and struggled with my activity level and what to take off that to lose weight.

I'm 5ft 3, currently weigh 11st 10 (164lb) and 31. My activity is as follows

3 days per week I walk 12 miles per day to and from work
2 days per week I walk 8 miles per day to and from work (at a different base so have to get the bus some of the way)
weekends I generally walk approx. 3 miles each day

The pace varies but I probably average at just over 3mph

On top of this I go to the gym and run at a 5 mile pace for an hour (I enjoy this, it gives me stress relief) 4 times per week and lift weights 3 times a week for around 30 mins.

The rest of the time i'm pretty sedentary, I have a desk job and once I get home I generally sit on the couch and watch tv.

What do you think my TDEE should be?

Replies

• RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    From what I calculate your TDEE is between 2300 and 2600. I would say closer to the 2600...maybe even a bit more. I was just not wanting to over estimate. Be sure to check your BMR too so that you don't eat too few. You probably already know that but maybe not or maybe somebody that reads this won't. So eat in between BMR and TDEE. I would say closer to TDEE in your case. I'm no expert though. :)
  • carolinetayloruk
    carolinetayloruk Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's what I got but it sounds a lot of calories. So to lose I should eat at somewhere less then that right. Does starting at 1800 a day sound about right?
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

try this article and links, it shows how to figure it all out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Pick 20% deficit, I'd put you at least in the '5-6 hours a week of strenuous exercise' category, if not the highest one. That's a LOT of activity. I'd eat 2000.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've tried TDEE before but just got really confused by it and struggled with my activity level and what to take off that to lose weight.

I'm 5ft 3, currently weigh 11st 10 (164lb) and 31. My activity is as follows

3 days per week I walk 12 miles per day to and from work
    2 days per week I walk 8 miles per day to and from work (at a different base so have to get the bus some of the way)
    weekends I generally walk approx. 3 miles each day

The pace varies but I probably average at just over 3mph

On top of this I go to the gym and run at a 5 mile pace for an hour (I enjoy this, it gives me stress relief) 4 times per week and lift weights 3 times a week for around 30 mins.

The rest of the time i'm pretty sedentary, I have a desk job and once I get home I generally sit on the couch and watch tv.

What do you think my TDEE should be?

I didn't use a site to get my TDEE...I had a great group show me a formula to use to calculate my own based on my own data.

TDEE websites are estimates but can be close

But to calculate your own you have to be accurate at logging...and that means the following:

1. Logging every bite
    2. Weighing every thing that is not a liquid
    3. Measure liquids
    4. Choosing correct entries...MFP allows users to add entries those start with an *, or Generic or Homemade...stay away from those and choose only those entires that do not start with those or have lots of confirmations. If you can't find one that is correct, edit it. Then it goes under "My Foods" tab.

After you are sure that is all being done give it 3-4 weeks to get consistent data.

Total calories+(lbs lost*3500)/# days=TDEE then take off 5-20%...

when I did that back in September I got 1995 for my TDEE and I took off 20%....knowing there would be days/weekends that would not be "good"...I average 1700 calories a day and lose on average .5lbs a week.
  • carolinetayloruk
    carolinetayloruk Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help. I'm going to start with 1800 and if i'm losing too much (aiming for 1-1.5lb per week then up it to 2000