question about exercise please?

Options
hi all

i have been dieting since June now and ive lost 54lbs so far but with no exercise just healthy eating.

My question is when is the best time to exercise i still have at least another 3.5 to 4 stone to loose and i didn't want my fat turning to muscle but don't want saggy belly arms etc either.

any help would be appreciated

thanks Tina

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want muscle? Muscle is strength and awesome.
    You should think about it some more and check out the threads and success stories on women who have included strength training.

To keep losing weight you need to keep eating at a deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    First, fat cannot turn to muscle. It can be burned, and muscle can be built, but for a woman to build significant muscle requires steroids.

As for exercising, do it whenever it works for you. It is a matter of keeping at it, and a time that does not work will just contribute to that lack of compliance.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to put on muscle mass while in a deficit and you're not going to do it accidentally. What could happen if you strength train and eat enough protein is that you'll retain more of the muscle you already have. This gives a more toned look when you reach your goal weight and will keep your metabolism higher since muscle needs more calories than fat.

The best time to exercise, imo, is whenever it fits into your schedule. For instance, I know that I'm more likely to skip workouts if I have to wake up for them so I exercise in the evenings when I have fewer excuses. Find what works for you.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Day 1 - but if you can't go back in time, the next best time is NOW. Third option is tomorrow.

start here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It is never too soon to start exercising.

Cardio gives you strong and healthy heart and lungs.

Strength makes you strong and supports bone health.

Muscles also burn calories just existing, even while you aren't using them. Strength training doesn't usually burn as many calories as the same time of cardio, but you burn more calories throughout the day.

Fat does not magically turn into muscle. Even if you somehow managed to stay the same weight while building muscle, the muscles are denser: the same weight takes up less space. Those women that have bulky muscles all over the place? They are the elite of the elite and in the pictures you see they are oiled up and flexing their hearts out to look bigger.

I look at it as building a beautiful framework that will be revealed as the fat melts off.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    start now - you won't get big man muscles :)

I do understand the mindset that you wanted to be leaner before building muscle - but women won't get bulky like men and depending on what you do you will tone and add some strength without adding bulk

I am not an expert but weight training could be part of your regime from the start.
  • tinawilldoitthistime
    Options
    wow thanks for all the replies! i am going to check out the links and thanks i have a really fat flabby belly and i don't want that there when i have lost all my weight ive never really exercised thats why im asking. Thank you everyone