Making omelets ahead

Does anyone make omelets on Sunday for the whole week? I was thinking about trying to make them ahead to save time during the week, but not sure if they hold up well...do you put them in the fridge or freezer?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member
    A french omelet takes a minute so I don't do that but for fritatta's and quiche I always have left overs that last a few days. I personally never make anything to hold for a week, but that's just me.
  • shed25lbs
    shed25lbs Posts: 1 Member
    I've done that, but after a couple of days they seem to get really watery. They don't take a lot of time to make, especially if, once a week you just cut up whatever it is you like in your omelets and make them every few nights.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Does anyone make omelets on Sunday for the whole week? I was thinking about trying to make them ahead to save time during the week, but not sure if they hold up well...do you put them in the fridge or freezer?

I wouldn't, because cold omelettes tend to get rubbery , which with freezing gets even worse.....guess how I know...lol..
    I am sure that does not influence their nutritional value and if you don't mind their texture when cold, you could probably make them ahead. Why don't you make one or two omelettes in advance and see if you like them ? Also, they only take about two minutes to make...especially if you heat the pan while doing something else and pre cut whatever you want to put in the omelette.
    Good Luck !
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    You could always put your raw egg, veggies, whatever you put in them, all together in a bag (whisk the egg). Put all bags in the freezer. When you're ready for one, just put it in some boiling water until cooked, and then you have omelet! ^_^
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    No. Definitely will not hold up.

If you want to cook eggs ahead, hard boiled is the way to go. Peel them, and stash them in the fridge. NEVER freeze eggs.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    No. Definitely will not hold up.

If you want to cook eggs ahead, hard boiled is the way to go. Peel them, and stash them in the fridge. NEVER freeze eggs.

I have never frozen whole eggs, but for 40 plus years have frozen them separated and they freeze great !
  • I bake mine in the oven in a water bath on Sundays and eat all week.

You can also try scrambling eggs as you would normally, addint veggies and some cheese, and pouring into a greased muffin tin. Bake them in the oven and reheat later.
  • hmahoney74
    hmahoney74 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks, everyone! I'm just going to have to get up earlier and MAKE the time to cook and eat before I go. :)
  • alienaliens
    alienaliens Posts: 64 Member
    I prepare meals for a week. When I did those omelets, they were horrible on the second day, a nightmare on the third, and the others got dumped in the trash.
  • epemae
    epemae Posts: 76 Member
    You could always put your raw egg, veggies, whatever you put in them, all together in a bag (whisk the egg). Put all bags in the freezer. When you're ready for one, just put it in some boiling water until cooked, and then you have omelet! ^_^

We used to cook them like that on Girl Scout campouts! I forgot all about it. Thanks for making me smile this morning!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member

Dont do this.
    The chemicals in the bag will leech into your food once heated.

Theres an article somewhere about it. On my phone tho.

OP, I considered it to. But got talked out of it.

In glass pryex containers you can make egg patties in tue microwave daily. You can maoe scrambled eggs in a mug in tue microwave as well
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member

Dont do this.
    The chemicals in the bag will leech into your food once heated.

Theres an article somewhere about it. On my phone tho.

OP, I considered it to. But got talked out of it.

In glass pryex containers you can make egg patties in tue microwave daily. You can maoe scrambled eggs in a mug in tue microwave as well

I've researched this in the past, and there is no credible evidence that the plastics that are intended for food use leech any meaningful (if any at all, depending on brand) chemicals into food.

OP~ If you're concerned, do the research yourself, but unless you're intentionally melting the bags to mix with your food, i wouldn't worry too much about leeching chemicals.
  • don't do them as omelets - do egg muffins. works great. google it.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    I agree, do egg muffins. You can put different ingredients in each one if you like so you have a different combination every day. I love these. Swiss, ham and mushroom are my favorite.
  • epemae
    epemae Posts: 76 Member
    I made scrambled egg cups in a muffin tin with a piece of turkey bacon as the shell this weekend. They were delicious. And were good when reheated.