daily calories are under but sugar is over

Options
will this hinder my ability to lose weight? I am familiar with how sugar affects insulin levels and how that can affect weight loss but if i am within my calories... specifically i am wondering because i am a breastfeeding mother, staying within my calorie limit and not losing weight. i don't want to focus on weight loss since i need to keep my milk supply but i am feeling a little discouraged that i'm not losing fairly easily.

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Your sugar will always be over on MFP. Unless your doctor wants you to, track something else.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I changed my setting to track fibre instead :)
  • Sheri3851
    Sheri3851 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I try to overlook the sugar I get from fruit and just try to stay within the number for refined sugar or sugar snacks. Not sure if that is the right way, but in Weight Watchers you don't have to count fruit or vegetables so I just sort of go by that. Hope that helps.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yep - two pieces of fruit a day and a decent amount of vegetables and you'll be over. I also changed it to track fibre.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Since everyone else already covered the question about sugar...

You can keep your milk supply and lose weight, I'm proof of that. As long as you are adding the extra calories to your MFP goal to account for breastfeeding, you shouldn't have to worry about supply issues. If you are not losing and you do not have any medical issues going on, the most likely reason is that you are eating more than you think. I can't see your diary so I can't give specific advice, but weighing, measuring, and logging is the most accurate way to keep track. Second most likely reason is you are overestimating your calorie burn in daily activity or exercise. Third possible but slightly out there reason for the weight sticking around is that you're just one of those women whose bodies cling to weight while breastfeeding. It absolutely happens but I would look at your calorie intake vs calorie output as being the most likely culprit.
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am now monitoring fiber instead of sugar. I have been measuring my food but not weighing it so I think I'm gonna buy a food scale