Counting Calories When Juicing

Options
I've always had the hardest time trying to figure this out - so glad I found this...I had to share!

Juicing is an excellent way to lose weight or to keep weight in control. There are several ways for determining calories when juicing. First, you can access juicing recipes that list the caloric content of the recipes in books or online. Second, you can determine juicing calories for your own recipes with a few easy steps.

Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
Instructions

Things You'll Need
Notebook
Pen
Juice extractor or citrus juicer
Calculator
Calorie counting guide
Food scale
List the ingredients you are using in the juicing recipe; use the calorie counting guide, and near each listed ingredient, note the calories of each as well as the amount of fiber in grams if you are using a juice extractor.

Multiply the grams of fiber by four because every gram of fiber has four calories in it. Subtract the amount of fiber calories from the total calories of each ingredient when using an extractor because the extractor pulls out the fiber-filled pulp content. Add the fiber calories to the calorie count if you are using a citrus juicer because fiber-filled pulp is not removed.

Add up the final calorie totals. Put the ingredients in the juicing extractor or the citrus juicer and turn them into a juice according to the instructional guides provided with the equipment. Make a note of how many ounces the juice recipe makes.

Count the calorie total of all ingredients if you are consuming the entire recipe in one sitting. Count only part of the caloric content of the juice if you are drinking a portion of it; for example, if you are drinking half of the recipe, you would take your calorie total of all ingredients and divide them by half. Write the calories you consume in your notebook.

Use your calorie-counting guide to count any calories from any foods you intake while juicing, too. Use the food scale to figure out food portion sizes.

How to Count Calories When Juicing | eHow.com
http://www.ehow.com/how_5155227_count-calories-juicing.html

Replies

• Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Great find and thanks for sharing!
  • effiek
    effiek Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks!!
  • teena82
    teena82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awesome info! Just got a juicer and was wondering how the heck I was going to figure out how many calories are in my juice. Thanks for sharing!
  • optimaltouch
    optimaltouch Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pinkball83
    pinkball83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • dustincowell
    Options
    Even better way... use this website: http://myphytos.com/build

Just enter the ingredients on the left, click "add ingredients", then each ingredient will appear in the middle where you can also change quantities. Once you are done "building" your juice all of the nutrition info, calories & serving size info will be on the right.

Hope this help! :smile:

- Dustin
  • Monkee_Magic
    Monkee_Magic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I like my juice and always find it a little confusing!
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • clarkfam_2005
    Options
    This is genius- THANK YOU!
  • holdencalgary
    Options
    Thank you! That is a great resource for juicing and using MFP!
  • bowbee
    bowbee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Great Thanks.
  • kdkosmo
    kdkosmo Posts: 3
    Options
    Brilliant resource - thank you!
  • Aoibhell
    Aoibhell Posts: 4
    Options

Just enter the ingredients on the left, click "add ingredients", then each ingredient will appear in the middle where you can also change quantities. Once you are done "building" your juice all of the nutrition info, calories & serving size info will be on the right.

Hope this help! :smile:

- Dustin

This calculator is far more accurate.. thanks for sharing!
  • akrae
    akrae Posts: 18
    Options
    Oh my goodness, thank you so much! I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sit there and multiply the fiber by 4, etc. It takes long enough to prepare the juice and clean up the machine!
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shortandfaithful
    Options
    Bump
  • 4michellelong
    4michellelong Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • live777
    Options

Hope this help! smile

- Dustin

As I added things to the list of the juice I noticed that sometimes the total calories would go down:huh: waiting for a reply from the web site.
    -Live777
  • bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    juicerecipes.com
    MUCH easier
  • CC_Maam
    CC_Maam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of juicing so I want to keep track of this link - ThanX!

CC