50lb down

Options
On 24 June 2013, I weighed in at 332lb - my heaviest ever. That's when I decided to make a change.

This morning, seven months later, I weighed in 52lb lighter at 280lb. I don't know when I last weighed 280lb, but I know I was over 300lb from 2005 (or earlier) until December 2013.

I've done a bit of everything over the last seven months to shift those pounds. Some of it worked, some of it didn't. What's working consistently for me is:
- running three times a week before work (hence the New Balance on the left)
- walking to and from work, with a lunchtime walk most days
- making as much of my own food as possible
- taking my own lunch to work every day, and snacking on peanut butter wholegrain sandwiches to avoid hunger pangs
- badminton twice a week after work with colleagues
- tracking every calorie with MFP (only started this seriously in 2014)

I've also been eating about 95% vegan since August, mostly for environmental and ethical reasons, but it has certainly made it easier to lose weight.

I'm not quite at the "buying new clothes" stage yet, but it's coming.

I started January at 294lb, so it's been a great month. I only really started using MFP and the forums this month. The support, motivation and insight from you guys has been hugely valuable. Thanks, everyone.

Long way to go to my next goal (215lb: "not obese") and my ultimate goal (173lb: "healthy weight"), but I'm feeling good this morning.

Keep on trucking. You can do this!

S

Replies

• mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Great job so far!! Keep up the great work!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You've got to be getting close to the "new clothes stage." And if you're still wearing your old clothes, you just KNOW you're gonna look even better in clothes that fit your new body. That's a lot of progress! Keep it up, man! :drinker:
  • Cracken99
    Cracken99 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You rock!! Your body must feel so different. I live very close to my work and want to start walking once the weather warms up. I looked at your food diary and saw a lot of "Tesco" food which means your in the UK? Last time I was in London did a little grocery shopping at Tesco. You also look very active! Great job.
    ~L
  • GameChanger82
    GameChanger82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Yes - I'm in sunny England. Tesco is a double-edged sword - plenty of fresh veggies but also so many temptations.

Maybe I will treat myself to something new this weekend. I could use a new top for badminton...

Next frontiers: first 10k run today and then making my own peanut butter!

Enjoy your Saturdays,

S
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Well done.
    Keep on the good work.
    We man first loose our belly, so we not need new clothes soon.
    But there will be a time soon u need new clothes every 2 months.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    great job!! that is an amazing accomplishment!
  • rosebud233
    rosebud233 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Hi there - great work! We were close to the same starting weight & I'm a vegetarian, bordering on vegan. I am not a runner, and may not ever be, but I hike on the weekends, and do Zumba, a weights class & swim during the week.

ETA: I've been forcing myself not to buy new clothes & making do with my now very baggy old stuff. I think I will bite the bullet in a couple of months when the weather gets warmer here in California. I'm hoping to lose another 15# and go down one more pants size by April 8 - that is my 1 year anniversary on MFP and a total of 80# lost. I was hoping for 100 when I first signed up, but 80 is not too bad!
  • GameChanger82
    Options
    Well done.
    Keep on the good work.
    We man first loose our belly, so we not need new clothes soon.
    But there will be a time soon u need new clothes every 2 months.
    Thanks mate! I've lost most fat from my legs and back, so my work trousers are really baggy and too long now. I can get them altered. Looking forward to some belly reduction over the next few months.
    I am not a runner, and may not ever be, but I hike on the weekends, and do Zumba, a weights class & swim during the week.
    Nice activities... I love a hike too. I really think movement is the key. Otherwise one might just sit around all day moping about not being able to eat more calories.

I never thought I'd be a runner either, but here I am recovering from my first 10k run yesterday :)
    I'm hoping to lose another 15# and go down one more pants size by April 8 - that is my 1 year anniversary on MFP and a total of 80# lost. I was hoping for 100 when I first signed up, but 80 is not too bad!
    You can do it! I'm aiming to lose another 10lb by March 15 (my birthday).
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!

I don't understand how you're not up to the "buying new clothes" stage. I'm at about 56-58 pounds and everything is to big on me. I'm wearing some stuff from 10 years ago but I don't have much of that.
  • GameChanger82
    Options
    I don't understand how you're not up to the "buying new clothes" stage. I'm at about 56-58 pounds and everything is to big on me. I'm wearing some stuff from 10 years ago but I don't have much of that.
    I'm not far off. Many of my clothes are dark and shapeless anyway so there's definitely room for improvement by getting some new stuff. I did buy two new ties on Sunday... :)
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • GameChanger82
    Options
    Ok, I bought some new jogging trousers today... Size M! Can't remember the last time I bought a size M anything (except coffee).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!