How UNHEALTHY are these foods?

Options
I would say that overall I eat quite healthy but sometimes I have get takeaways or meals when I eat out that I don't consider to be as bad as getting say, Mc Donald's or Carls Jr for example but are definitely not health foods. Please can some of you expert people tell me what the deal is with these foods and how bad are they really? Are they just as bad as Mc Donalds or Carls Jr. I also feel like some of the calorie information might be slightly underestimated. Please help me.

Korean foods:
BBQ Pork on sticky rice.
Deep fried tofu and vegetables
Kimchi and pickled condiments that come with it

Indian takeaways:
Indian white basmati rice
Chicken Korma and vege korma
Naan bread

Sushi:
Philidelphia cream cheese and avocado roll
Spicy chicken roll
egg & avocado nigiri
tofu nigiri
chicken katsu

Chinese takeaway:
BBQ Pork
egg fried rice
egg foo young
vegetables with bean curd

Chicken kebab on rice with salads

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You can't blanket say any foods unhealthy. Your list does not include how they were prepared what the ingredients are. What the recipes are (there are many different recipes for those meals). Nothing in reality is bad in the context of a balanced diet.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    well.

Korean & Japanese are ok. 99% of the population in korea & japan are skinny.

Indian food... lots of carbs... butter chicken = the worst. A lot of fat.

But then I'm Korean so I'm biased :D
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    A lot of these foods are calorie dense one way or another.

That's fine, just account for it. My personal preference when I eat out is to choose a large portion of lean protein, breaded or in batter only if there's no other option, and then to build around that with vegetables. Starchy veg, breads, rice or pasta only if I'm still hungry - or not at all if my protein is breaded/battered.

Since you don't know 100% how it was prepared, give yourself a couple extra hundred calories on your deficit, and log it as best you can.
    One meal like that once in a while won't hurt.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Unless you're allergic to it or choke to death on it, no food is "unhealthy" or "bad".

For the take-aways you listed, I'd eat half and save the other half for another day.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You can't throw foods out and ask if they are healthy or unhealthy....

Water is healthy, but to much of it can kill you.

The list of foods you put up need to be taken in the context of the over all diet.....

I could eat those foods, make sure they fit in my calorie/macro needs, and they would be perfectly healthy.......

So in short....look at the foods in the overall diet context.....not just at one point. :wink:
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    Nothing is inherently unhealthy. Like with all other food it comes down to portion size.
  • romamgrey
    Options
    :)
  • delaney056
    Options
    Moderation is key. :flowerforyou:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    There is no 'good' or 'bad' food. Eat whatever you like-just pay attention to portion sizes, keep an eye on macros (especially protein intake), and aim to stay within your allotted calorie intake. Simple as that.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    well.

Korean & Japanese are ok. 99% of the population in korea & japan are skinny.

Indian food... lots of carbs... butter chicken = the worst. A lot of fat.

But then I'm Korean so I'm biased :D

Can't speak for the Korean food, but most of those rolls aren't Japanese in origin, but Americanized sushi sold in "Japanese" restaurants and take outs. They only ended up being eaten in Japan through westernized food prep reverbed back to the nation.

Japanese people have not historically stayed super thin, and lived long lives, smothering their sushi in cream cheese or eating fried chicken in their rolls.
  • Bagelsan
    Options
    A lot of it's portion size; you can get a burger and fries in Japan just like in the US, but it's about a third of the size there as it is here! That's what helps keep the Japanese people I know thin, just their avoidance of huge meals. Pretty much any food is fine in moderation.