Maybe little Tmi (women only, time of the month)

Options
Hi ladies, just wondering if exercising can stuff up your periods?
Last period I had was just before Christmas I have been due but it's not came, I'm having 'old' blood but not fresh.
I'm not exercising excessively I do have the copper coil fitted... Which is known to make periods heavier and more painful but in fact it's made mine lighter and shorter.
although not gone mad on me exercise do you think that it's still my exercise that has sent my body confessed?

Thanx in advance

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    How old is your youngest? Could it be tied into that instead of exercise?
  • Little_Miss_Metal
    Options
    She be two in April so can not see it been that.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Any change can mess with your cycle. Food, exercise, stress.....
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Except for consistent extreme exertion (think very high mileage long distance running) exercise will normally only halt menses once your body fat lowers below 17-18%.

I would take a pregancy test and see your doc.
  • FirstandGoal
    Options
    How long have you had iud?

I'm thinking of getting it but nervous I'll bleed for weeks.

I find travel messes up my cycle. I fly west I get it early, I fly east I get it late. Go figure!

I've heard it can take a long time for body to adjust.

Try charting your monthly cycle (ovulation, etc). You might not be ovulating which happens.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Except for consistent extreme exertion (think very high mileage long distance running) exercise will normally only halt menses once your body fat lowers below 17-18%.

I would take a pregancy test and see your doc.

Ditto.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Weight loss or increase by more then a couple pounds can change your cycle a little. Until your body adjust, your cycle could skip, be lighter, be heavier or even more frequent, shorter or longer. It might be good to seek a doctors opinion if this goes on to long.
  • ModQuad
    Options
    Any changes to your diet or activity level can mess with your cycle but it generally takes a long time and high intensity to cause amenorrhea ( I experienced it once after about 3 months of 12-15hr/wk training for a marathon on a 20% TDEE regime that took my BF% to 17%... not recommended!) I wouldn't conclude that it was the exercise. See a doctor and rule out other causes.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena hormonal coil. I've had one for about 7 years now (had it changed last year). Honestly it's amazing. It's painful to put in, and you have spotting for a few days after, but it's made my periods really really light, just spotting really, and it's improved my PMT. I would highly recommend the mirena if you're thinking of going for a coil - the copper coils are a bit outdated.

As one of the other posters said, any major change can mess up your cycle. If you've missed a period though, take a pregnancy test (you can still have ectopic pregnancy with a coil - very very rare but still possible). If it's negative go see the doc.
  • Little_Miss_Metal
    Options
    Thanks all for your replay, I don't think I'm working hard enough for my exercise to mess up my period so many have to do a test.

O like copper coil no hormones or nothing bit sore put in and little spotting at first bit it helped bring me regular and periods have gotten shorter and lighter I use to have really heavy flow normally so in gen it's turned out well for me, before that I had implant and gained weight due to hormones in it
  • rexiecatmeow
    rexiecatmeow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Unless I am on hormonal birth control.. exercising allllllways messes up my cycle, always.
  • samfelder
    Options
    I wondered about this too! I happened to start my weight loss journey while on my period and wish I would have found this post sooner! Im actually on the pill (orthotricyclen-lo) and my periods are super light with little to no symptoms aside from that 'Ugh' feeling you have while bloated. Is it safe to work out while on your period? Will it be as effective? Since we're losing nutrients and retaining water and such...any ideas?
  • mumblemagic
    Options
    Thanks all for your replay, I don't think I'm working hard enough for my exercise to mess up my period so many have to do a test.

O like copper coil no hormones or nothing bit sore put in and little spotting at first bit it helped bring me regular and periods have gotten shorter and lighter I use to have really heavy flow normally so in gen it's turned out well for me, before that I had implant and gained weight due to hormones in it

Glad you've found what you need :smile:

Just an FYI though, the hormonal coil is slightly different to other hormonal birth control methods as the hormones say in the womb area and don't end up the blood stream. Actually that's why I got it - I have epilepsy so I can't have hormones messing up my blood chemistry, and I really really don't want to get pregnant :smile:
  • mumblemagic
    Options
    I wondered about this too! I happened to start my weight loss journey while on my period and wish I would have found this post sooner! Im actually on the pill (orthotricyclen-lo) and my periods are super light with little to no symptoms aside from that 'Ugh' feeling you have while bloated. Is it safe to work out while on your period? Will it be as effective? Since we're losing nutrients and retaining water and such...any ideas?

As far as I am aware, there are no safety concerns about working out while you are on your period. Actually, light exercise is recommended for period pain. Don't do it if you feel light headed etc. but if you just have cramps it's fine.