Shakology

Options
I'm thinking of ordering shakology in january. I'm just looking for a little more information about it from people who either have used it or currently use it. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Beachbody coaches - as a reminder, ads are not allowed in the forums. If you'd like to talk about the benefits of shakeology, feel free to do so as long as you do not encourage members to visit your website, "message you for more info", etc.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My BFF tried Shakeology and loved it!!! She says it gives you AMAZING energy! The package comes w/ the shake and 2 workout DVD's that are very good as well. Only downside-Shakeology only comes w/ a 30 day supply which doesn't last long if you drink one each day. She also says to mix w/ water and not milk, because milk makes it way too thick. I've heard great things esp for those who have alot of chronic health conditions, because its giving you all the nutrients you need but would impossible to get in everyday. I think you will be VERY satifsifed with it!
  • CaitJoy
    CaitJoy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Huge. Waste. Of money. Don't do it!!!
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I think its great. I use the chocolate. Its a little strong tasting at first so I would add more water, or milk or whatever you use. I drink it after work since I go to the gym right after and t keeps me full and going strong until I can get home for supper, if not I would be starving lol. I think its def worth trying :) The only thing I dont like is the price. Especially since I like in Canada its a little more expensive lol
  • peales23
    Options
    While I'm sure that the product is good, I believe that the best way to be successful at not only losing weight, but maintaining that weight loss is to learn how to eat with regular, store bought foods, and eat the proper portions. Drinking shakes every day might get to be a little bit of a challenge (wouldn't you miss chewing food?), and then what do you do after you've lost weight and you start eating regularly again?

Just my honest opinion.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck with your goals!
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    While I'm sure that the product is good, I believe that the best way to be successful at not only losing weight, but maintaining that weight loss is to learn how to eat with regular, store bought foods, and eat the proper portions. Drinking shakes every day might get to be a little bit of a challenge (wouldn't you miss chewing food?), and then what do you do after you've lost weight and you start eating regularly again?

Just my honest opinion.

I agree with this. In my opinion the best way to lose (and keep off) weight is through actual food and learning portion control. Drinking a bunch of shakes doesn't teach you how to eat properly.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Stick to real food and work it into your meal plan for each day. You can have ANY food you want......as long as you work it into your meal plan. The more you try to "get one over" on your body, the more it will tend to store fat....or put it back on really quick......plus even more than when you started the "quick fix". You can do this!! We are all here to cheer you on and support you!
  • fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I tried it for about 3 months, but ended up missing solid foods! I had the chocolate, which is VERY rich, unless you water it down (but I don't like watered down chocolate, so I mixed with milk). I didn't lose any weight, or really feel like it suppressed my appetite, but it was nice for the days when I was on the run and didn't have time to grab some food. I ended up stopping usage of it due to price and also because I was getting an upset stomach from it.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!
  • Vivx
    Vivx Posts: 121
    Options

Just my honest opinion.

I agree with this. In my opinion the best way to lose (and keep off) weight is through actual food and learning portion control. Drinking a bunch of shakes doesn't teach you how to eat properly.

couldnt agreee more xx
  • apeman
    apeman Posts: 82
    Options
    I've been curious about this too. What makes shakology different than just having a meal replacement shake with carbs and protein?
  • Rappla88
    Rappla88 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about this too. What makes shakology different than just having a meal replacement shake with carbs and protein?

That is exactly what I'm looking for.... I'm currently doing p90x and I'll be done with my first round December 18th. I'm planning on starting my second round January 1st. I already often have a protein smoothie to help suppliment my diet and I heard that this has a lot of extra nutriants than just a regular protein smoothie.
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    from reading these posts it seems as though some of you really arent sure what shakeology is. it is NOT a diet plan or even like slimfast where you do nothing but drink shakes all day. sure you can use it to supplement a meal...but the people that i know that drink it, they typically have it as one of their snacks for the day.

ive tried both the green and the chocolate. the green tastes like wheat grass...which i actually like the taste of. the chocolate i didnt really care much for...its a dark chocolate taste...and i dont care for dark chocolate. but add in some natural peanut butter and its not half bad!

i have a friend that has been drinking this daily since january and she says that she has sooo much more energy than before. look at the ingrediants on a package of shakeology..there is no way that you can get that many vitamins etc from another protein shake.

i know that i got a free sample to try so just keep your eyes open...try before you buy and just keep askign those questions!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If someone is looking for a magic pill to lose weight or something then it's not it. Can it help you lose weight? Well yes, just like any 140 calorie meal replacement can. Are their cheaper protein type shakes that will help you lose weight as a meal replacement? Sure. But for me, it's not just about losing weight, or frankly losing weight at all as I was doing just fine before Shakeology. It's about nutrition. I care about what I put in my body, and the volume of nutritious items in Shakeology is through the frickin roof. It would be hard to get that amount of nutrition in a normal daily diet with typical corporate farm produce fare coming from ground in Mexico that has long been devoid of any beneficial minerals. Shakeology is about providing those key minerals and antioxidants for you that the typical American diet does not. If fills a specific need that some people want, which is why I just have to laugh at these clearly uneducated generalizations like "waste of money", especially when they aren't backed up by any personal experience much less sourced research. I don't want to link anything less I violate the rules here, but if you are seriously thinking about it just google it and read about the product, what's in it, and where those items come from and most importantly what they do for your body. That's what I did and that's why i started using it, not because of what someone here said about it. And I'm happy I started using it I feel better, more energy, and it's so filling I don't need a morning snack anymore.
  • azadehdcjd
    azadehdcjd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have one shakeology as a snack every day. Not only is it the best tasting shake out there, but it also contains a lot of healthy ingredients that you cant find in other shakes. It is not a diet plan. Its a supplement to healthy eating. I love it and I was never a shake drinker before. Additionally, it does not contain artificial sweeteners which are so bad for you. I mix it with half cup water, and half cup almond milk and it tastes great!! Gives you a lot of energy as well :)
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    If someone is looking for a magic pill to lose weight or something then it's not it. Can it help you lose weight? Well yes, just like any 140 calorie meal replacement can. Are their cheaper protein type shakes that will help you lose weight as a meal replacement? Sure. But for me, it's not just about losing weight, or frankly losing weight at all as I was doing just fine before Shakeology. It's about nutrition. I care about what I put in my body, and the volume of nutritious items in Shakeology is through the frickin roof. It would be hard to get that amount of nutrition in a normal daily diet with typical corporate farm produce fare coming from ground in Mexico that has long been devoid of any beneficial minerals. Shakeology is about providing those key minerals and antioxidants for you that the typical American diet does not. If fills a specific need that some people want, which is why I just have to laugh at these clearly uneducated generalizations like "waste of money", especially when they aren't backed up by any personal experience much less sourced research. I don't want to link anything less I violate the rules here, but if you are seriously thinking about it just google it and read about the product, what's in it, and where those items come from and most importantly what they do for your body. That's what I did and that's why i started using it, not because of what someone here said about it. And I'm happy I started using it I feel better, more energy, and it's so filling I don't need a morning snack anymore.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Shakeology is nutrient dense and the nutrients it contains are not readily available in our day to day lives, yet our bodies benefit greatly from having them. I drink a shake a day, usually for breakfast, and have since February. My IBS is GONE (and I had struggled with that since high school), my hypoglycemia is under control and I have tons of energy. My husband has also had a a shake a day since February and his bad cholesterol was lowered by 20% and good cholesterol increased by 25%. He no longer has to take Lipitor. You don't get benefits like that from a protein shake, some cheap diet shake like Slim Fast etc. There is simply nothing else out there on the market like Shakeology. Do your research and if it is for you great. If not, that's fine too.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    A PDF of the Nutrition Facts label is available online for anyone who wants to see it. I agree that it has WAY more to offer than a regular protein shake or Slim-Fast. The price made me look twice but since I started preparing my lunch at home rather than eating out, I have the cash to spend. I have a shake for breakfast since I was making smoothies anyway. I find it very flexible by using different liquids (milk, water, almond milk, etc) and additives (fruit, spices, etc). I find I have more energy and stay full until lunch time. I haven't taken it long enough to comment on any other benefits yet.

As a side note, one BB coach went and bought the individual ingredients and came up with a bill over $400. That comparison is online as well including pics of the receipts.

Bottom line is drink it or not drink it but just do your research so you can compare apples to apples and see what meets your needs best. Good luck :)
  • Rappla88
    Rappla88 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses!! I think I should have worded my question a little differently, I was really looking for responses from people who have actually used it or continue to use it. I have looked at the nutrtional information and I'm seriously considering this after the new year (I'll be a little more financially stable after that... Christmas is coming after all!). Also I wanted first hand information such as taste, and how it makes you feel, etc. I'm not looking at this from a weight loss perspective but more as a health perspective. I don't care if it makes me lose weight or not... I just care that my body is getting the nutriants it needs. Thank you for all your help!!
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking it since March and so far I can say I feel great. I can't say I haven't missed my one a day. But I do my best and I've been very consistent. I haven't been sick since drinking it (even in a house full of sick people, my niece, nephew, sister and bro-in-law were all sick and on antibiotics) I didn't even get a lil sick. I love that I don't have to worry about what to eat for breakfast and making sure its healthy to start the day right. I grab my shaker cup and my pk of shakeology and I'm out the door. I've tried many other shakes in the past and I've never been as consistant with any. The flavor is rich so I don't get tired and you can mix up with so many recipies to make sure you keep your tastebuds guessing :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

When you live to 100 please come back and let us know about how Shakeology helped you do that with its "miracle" nutrients not found in food. If you get cancer, please let us know that to so that we can all have peace of mind that we were right, that Shakeology is not a miracle food, it’s just another “food” (arguably) with vitamins.

Yay to the 10 millionth posting on Shakeology, stop with the duplicate threads for the love of Jebus!! (yes, deliberate spelling error, you'll get it if you like The Simpsons).

If someone wants to man-up and send a freaking sample to Canada (it’s not the arctic people, Toronto is pretty much the 51st state but with the benefit of FREE HEALTH CARE for our non-obese populous and like 1/50th the crime rate!!!) then I'll be less cranky about being anti-shakeology due to the cost.

Sincerely, Cranky Heather who just wants free stuff ;)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

That is exactly what I'm looking for.... I'm currently doing p90x and I'll be done with my first round December 18th. I'm planning on starting my second round January 1st. I already often have a protein smoothie to help suppliment my diet and I heard that this has a lot of extra nutriants than just a regular protein smoothie.

I can't comment on the Shakeology, I have never tried it. I don't see where it is much different than any other protein except for the HUGE price tag.

Shakeology only has 2 flavors, which would get very boring, very fast to me.

I do like Jay Robb Protein. It is a complete protein and you can get Whey, Rice or Egg White Protein - all natural and sweetened with Stevia.

It is not a frankenfood, it is still considered a whole food item. I use the Jay Robb protein to make my green veggie and berry shakes when I don't feel like eating and know I need nutrition.

You should always go with whole foods first and foremost though.