how to eat and when

Options
Hi, so I'm new to the whole sharing-your-struggle-thing but I figured that trying to lose weight by myself just isn't working and its time to ask for help. I've recently started counting calories again and am aiming for anywhere between 1200-1500 but have come to the point where I'm afraid to eat anything. I feel like if I am not careful then I won't succeed, and as a result, have been eating below 1000 calories. I know that's not good, but I just can't figure out how to get it right. On top of that I am totally a compulsive weigher and often give up after a week because the numbers won't change on the scale. Any suggestions on how to overcome this weird binge/anorexia thing I work myself into and/or how to stay motivated in the face of an everlasting plateau?

PS. Im a female who is 5'5" and I weigh about 200 and want to get to 160-150. A couple years ago I had finally reached this goal and it lasted for about two months before I completely lost focus and binged my way to 220. With the exception of that short time where I was "normal" I've always been on the line between overweight and obese and need to be "that girl" the one in the red dress that no one can stop looking at, at least once (preferably twice) in my life :)

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I mean this in the kindest possible way, but it sounds like you would benefit from professional help. Binge Eating Disorder, anorexia and bulimia are very complicated things and not the kinds of things that you can just shake off with tips & suggestions. I'm of course not saying that you have these eating disorders, but that would be something a professional could tell you and help you with. They're not things to be taken lightly.

If however you are more at the stage where a bit of logic might help, try to remind yourself of these things:

-you want to lose weight, but I'm assuming it's fat that you want to lose and not muscle? If you want to lose fat, and have a good/healthy body composition when you reach your goal, then eating only 1000 calories a day (let alone below that amount) is a really bad idea. You're setting yourself up for failure, and any "success" would mean losing a lot of lean mass, ending up a low weight, with still too much fat on your body, not being happy with a flabby appearance, suppressing your metabolism so that it's harder to maintain that weight etc. It sounds like you want to get to your goal as fast as possible, but doing it that way will likely make you unhappy with the results (as well as being less likely to stick).

-losing lean mass isn't just about appearance. It also means the negative health consequences of losing muscle and bone density. This is a problem as we get older anyway, especially for women, so you need to be doing everything you can to hold onto your lean mass, not losing more than you need to.

-a major cause of binge eating (and binge eating disorder) is dieting, and the more restrictive you are, the bigger the risk. By continuing to cut your calories so low, you are feeding the starvation/binge cycle. As someone who is clearly prone to binge eating, you have to stop cutting your calories so low.

-another big issue with eating disorders is black & white thinking, or thinking in extremes. From what you've said, you're always either cutting to a very low calorie diet, or you're bingeing. Again, this mindset is feeding the self-destructive cycle you're in.

I would recommend telling MFP that you want to lose 0.5 lbs a week (max 1 lb a week, but given your history, I would honestly keep the deficit as small as possible) and stick to that calorie goal for at least several weeks. If there is no change then, you can adjust as necessary. If daily weighing discourages you, stop doing that. Take measurements and photos and judge your progress that way.

You're still very young, but you're setting yourself up for a lifetime of physical and mental health problems. If none of what I've said is enough to make you stop and think, or if you really can't stick to a higher calorie level, then I would urge you to seek professional help as soon as possible. :flowerforyou:
  • GEMMA_2014
    Options
    I stopped fearing food.

I gave myself permission to eat anything I want with portion control.

Fearing food will cause you to binge because you not eating what you like.

Giving yourself permission to eat anything with portion control takes away the thrill out of over eating.

Knowing you are in control and can eat anything frees you from constantly thinking about and fearing food. .

I eat everything i like with portion control and have lost 123 lbs.

Food has no magical powers to make you over eat. It is just food.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Moderation and portion control are key. I try to look at my calories as dollars. Do I want to "spend" x amount of calories to have a cookie, for example. Hmm, yes I do. So I log that food item and have one but I know I have x calories less in my pocket for the day. You don't have to give up the foods you enjoy. You just have to work them into your budget.

Try looking at food as a requirement, just as if you were taking a medication. You need x amount of nutrients to power your body, so that's a requirement really, not an option. Even if you aren't hungry, if you've worked out and have a net cal balance of 400 then you must give your body more fuel.

Jester's post is spot on. You should talk to your doctor about how you are feeling and what's going on, so he/she can help get you on track.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    A. My new motto might help - choose progress not perfection
    B. Try prelogging so you see what all you can fit - I do this sometimes and it does help to know the plan for the day and see that a cookie just fits right in sometimes
    C. Friend me if you like - check out my profile and if that sounds like you - let's be friends (I have a strong obsession tendency and I'm doing all I can to not get caught in the obsession)
    D. Keep it simple for awhile - only count calories and allow yourself more calories than you are if it helps you keep going - as long as you are under maintenance calories (if it's figured correctly) you will be losing weight
    E. When it goes wrong - don't just declare it over - start back as quickly as you can - and then consider what went wrong, without a load of blame on yourself - ex: it was a bad day and the stress got to me, then I gave into a giant meal... or "I was bored and that led to ________" Just look back and think about it. Sometimes now, I can see it coming.... next stop - how to win that battle....
  • cristapp
    Options
    I am also addicted to the scale. It can be a great motivator, or a great demotivator. Some weeks, it just doesn't move much. Have learned to tough it out, and keep going regardless of the scale when it seems stuck. I focus on how healthy and good I feel when eating well and exercising. My focus this year is doing a Sustainable approach that can last me all year to my goal and beyond. I've done the yoyo thing before, most of us have…lessons learned.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Check this out. If anyone has a new version, please post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • SkinnyRach22
    Options
    I was dealing with some of the same issues you are. I lost 115 lbs and nearly gained all of it back. While this was happening I got addicted to the scale. i would base all of my emotions around what I ate during the day and what the scale said. You would think this would cause weight loss but it didn't. I would binge as a sort of rebellion and then become depressed after I did it. I do not know if these are some of the feelings you are having but the only thing that has helped me is therapy. I was diagnosed with OCD. I was obsessed with my weight, eating, trying new programs and bingeing on food when I "failed". During my therapy I actually had to get off every program and just try to eat in moderation. I am now trying myfitnesspal again but I can recognize certain triggers and stop myself before it starts. Here are some things that help.

1. Weigh yourself once a month. This is the number one this that has helped me.
    2. If you go over calories it is OK. Any effort is good effort and going over your calories by 200 is better then bingeing and eating 3000 calories. Even if this does happens its OK too. Tomorrow is a new day and the next meal is a new meal.
    3. I also keep a journal about how I am feeling about each food I eat. When I first started every food I ate had the feeling of guilt attached to it. Now I try to stick to these feelings. HALT

H= Hungry
    A= Angry or upset
    L= Lonely or Sad
    T = Tired

I try to only eat when I am hungry now. Hope this helps. :)
  • kmwangi
    Options
    Wow. I just want to say thank you soo much for your support and suggestions; sometimes its just so hard to open up. I have definitely tried to change my approach at how I look at food and even indulged in some taco bell today. I am trying to remember not to put to much weight on my shoulders (excuse the pun) and to take one bite at a time and not to let my feelings of anxiety over failure push me to my limits. Thank you soo much for responding, I honestly didn't think anyone would read it, let alone respond... It really means a lot to me.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would suggest planning your food everyday, the evening before, and sticking to your plan. I favor the 1500 calorie end of your spectrum, because lower calorie dieting often results in binge cravings, and I think it's really important for you to stick to a plan that is nutritionally sufficient and prevents feeling restricted.

In the long run, a more moderate calorie cut will help you lose weight in a controlled way, learn to eat to satisfaction within your limits, and allow you to learn the mental component that makes weight maintenance possible.

I would also encourage you to take a break from the scale. If you're sticking to your calories, just take the leap of faith for a whole month that it's working (it will be). Take the energy you used on your bodyweight scale and put it in to accurately weighing your food and logging every bite you eat. The control you seek will be in your diet, not the scale. At the end of a month, there will be results.

At the beginning of the year most of my long time friends on here "adopted" noobs. I didn't. Your post really touched me and I would like to volunteer to help you if you would like. PM me if you're interested. No pressure if you're not- I promise not to be offended if you don't want a mentor (or you do want one that is someone else!). lol.