Favorite low carb/high protein options that are vegetarian?

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
Anyone have any suggestions on low carb, high protein foods that are vegetarian? Looking for some new menu options. Thanks so much!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Cheese Omelette.
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    nuts! They are high in fat too, so in moderation.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

They are a significant source of carbs still.
  • army165
    Options
    Peanut butter is my absolute favourite! I also eat greek yogurt and eggs of any kind. Cheese is also good every now and again
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    ew low carb
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
    eggs
    cottage cheese
    quinoa
    pumpkin seeds
    beans/lentils
    soymilk and tofu
    seitan
    veggie burger
    spinach
    textured vegetable protein
    protein powder
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options

An one ounce serving of nuts tends to be in the single digits for carbs. I guess my idea of low carbs is different than yours.
  • reeserox
    reeserox Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
    eggs
    cottage cheese
    quinoa
    pumpkin seeds
    beans/lentils
    soymilk and tofu
    seitan
    veggie burger
    spinach
    textured vegetable protein
    protein powder
    Quinoa, beans, lentils, spinach etc are higher in carbs than protein.

OP - I don't eat low carb but I often eat scrambled eggs - a combination of whole eggs and egg whites, which is high protein/low carb.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Beans are high protein. Their carb count is offset by their fiber count. So, you can eat a serving of beans with each meal and subtract the fiber from the carbs to have a low-carb/high protein food. Vegetarian black bean chili; white bean stuffed peppers; red beans cooked in diced tomatoes and spices; black bean soup and more. You can take chickpeas, spray them with Pam, sprinkle a packet of dry salad dressing mix over them and bake for 40 minutes to get a crunchy snack that is full of protein.
  • NikiandZak
    NikiandZak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump - good info
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! And for the record, I'm not eating a "low carb diet". I still eat plenty of carbs, but would prefer to get more protein in without all the carbs.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

An one ounce serving of nuts tends to be in the single digits for carbs. I guess my idea of low carbs is different than yours.

It has nearly the same amount of protein as it does carbs (slightly more protein but not by much) so in order to eat them solely to add a significant source of protein to your diet, you would also have to eat enough to constitute a significant source of carbs.

As a vegetarian or vegan getting standalone protein without additional carbs is virtually impossible as virtually all plant based foods constitute a significant source of carbohydrates. Soy based products are your only real answer and getting enough of them to form the mainstay of protein in your diet is controversial.
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Frozen soy beans/ edamame -add them to your cooked dishes or salads. This is about the only soy I like to eat. Split peas, chick peas, spinach.