Glute Exercises *besides* Squats & Lunges

Options
I have bad knee problems, but I really want to tone up my glutes. Every time I try squats or lunges, which I know work really well, my knees start killing me. I can't keep doing them. So I looked up some other exercises, and if you see this list, anything that doesn't involve squatting or lunging or anything of the sort, isn't all that effective. http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/butt/exercises/our-top-10-exercises-to-tone-your-butt/?page=2 Like, I tried the "toe touches" and did 100 on each leg and didn't even feel much of anything. Even the bridge things I just don't think are as effective as squats. And it's telling me balancing on one leg is going to tone my glutes... Maybe a little bit, but I just don't feel like that's very effective.
Does anyone know any butt exercises that are just as effective as squats that won't bother my knees?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!! :drinker:

Replies

• PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Glute bridges with a barbell work very well for working that area, and the motion uses your knees to a lesser extent. You don't have to bend them too much. Most of the weight is supported by your upper back, arms, and through the heels.

Otherwise, you might have to look into your form, the most common correlation I see between people complaining about knee pain while doing squats are people who aren't pushing the weight through their heels, when lifting heavy weight with your legs, your body tends to try to put pressure on the front part of your foot to maintain your center of gravity, but this obviously isn't ideal (much like during deadlifts your body's initial inclination is to round the back in order to pull the weight).
    Focus on pushing up with your heels, and driving through the hips, make sure your knees are pointed slightly outwards and your feet as well.

Here's the glute bridge by the way: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-glute-bridge
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Box squats
  • dougiebanks
    dougiebanks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Romanian dead lifts. They are bomb for lower glutes and upper hamstrings.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, all! I bet the bridges with the barbell is much more effective. I never thought of using the barbell with the bridges, but I will definitely have to try that in the future. :) Oh and I know my form is okay on squats since my physical therapist has watched me do them to ensure that- my knees are just really screwed up.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I know my form is okay on squats since my physical therapist has watched me do them to ensure that-

My mother is a physical therapist and she doesn't know jack about lifting technique. I wouldn't assume that a physical therapist could identify flaws in your form. While related, its not their field of expertise.
  • valchemist
    Options
    here is a free you tube video from Jessica Smith that fits your criteria. it's 12 minutes.

http://jessicasmithtv.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=84349224ef7a543ab038356d3&id=c74544551e&e=81e928b755
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    here is a free you tube video from Jessica Smith that fits your criteria. it's 12 minutes.

http://jessicasmithtv.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=84349224ef7a543ab038356d3&id=c74544551e&e=81e928b755
    Thanks! I appreciate it! I'll check it out. :happy:
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Cable kickbacks work phenomenally (if you have access to a gym), glute bridges/hip thrusts with barbell weight, donkey kicks, single legged leg press, and deadlifts. Personally, deadlifts with heavy weights have been extremely beneficial for me.
  • bayernfan94
    Options
    do kick boxing. everything bellow the waist will be as if your on steroids
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Definitely the weighted glute bridges, or hip thrusts (a bit different). Also clamshells for gluteus medius (with a band or weight is best).

Standing ballet is really great to help your knees while working glutes, btw. Don't plie for the moves I'm talking about, and don't use turnout on your standing leg unless that feels more stable for your knee. Do moves to the back like arabesques and attitudes. Fire hydrants are also good to throw in while you're standing, and they work different angles than the arabesques (arabesques involve more gluteus medius than fire hydrants). Get your legs up high! The heavier your leg is, the better they work :D:D I weight mine, but start with just your own leg weight.

The higher you get your leg, the harder it hits the glutes, so you might not feel it much in the high glutes until the other muscles are strong enough to get your leg on up there.
  • ThinUpGirl
    Options
    Bumping
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Saving for later.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    deadlifts! my glutes are so sore today after doing a kinetics class yesterday.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I was doing Roman Chair yesterday, and I may be crazy, but I thought I got quite good glute squeezing once up high. That's a lower back exercise, but my impression is that is must take the whole chain to raise you up (high). Y'all correct me if I'm wrong :)

I liked that because I felt like my glutes were doing more work than my hams. I want more glutes and not so much hamstring action :D Of course, it worked the lower back well, as you might imagine!
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    heavy glute bridges are the BOMB! Also romanian deadlifts. If your knees can handle it, donkey kicks on the smith/cable machine and kettlebell swings are also brilliant.
  • flyingwilbur
    Options
    I have terrible knees and wound up going to yoga for muscle toning. If you find a teacher who will take the time to work with you, they can give you poses to work specific muscle groups and help with healing and strengthening around joints that aren't working for you. Dunno where you're located, but Michelle at Lime Tree Yoga in Atlanta is fantastic for this.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    bump