What are your strategies on holiday?

Options
I am going to Arizona soon and know I'm going to have daily temptations, won't have my food scale, eating out a lot and drinks, drinks, drinks! What are some strategies you use on vacation to keep your calorie consumption reasonable?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you google portion size' images you can get a much better idea of what you should be eating without a scale.

I travel a lot - and did all last year while I was losing. I always:

- eat the specialty of whereever I'm traveling FIRST. Begnets in New Orleans? AWESOME! Build that into my daily calories. That's why you're on vacation, right?

- Drink water, not other high calorie beverages. EXCEPT if I'm choosing to have an alcoholic drink. Then look at the calories and build them in. It's the syrup and soda that gets you, not the alcohol.

- Be very sparing on high calorie foods that aren't that important to you. For me, it's skipping whole milk, bread, rice, etc.

- ALWAYS look for fruit, salad, and veggies. Skip the dressing or ask for it on the side. That way you can eat a lot with few calories.

- Eating out, I go with the healthiest option: vegetarian then fish, then poultry, then lean meats, then meat. But the most important thing to skip is SAUCE. Watch cheese in Arizona - 100 calories an ounce. But that salsa - EXCELLENT CHOICE!

I work hard at finding healthy options for breakfast and lunch (cheaper too) and then make sure I eat food I love. Portion size is everything. I eat anything I want - just not very much of it.

Enjoy!
  • Swinggrrl
    Swinggrrl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I plan on sticking to vodka waters (mostly) lol & walking a LOT!
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For me I can most easily resist sweets and drinks. I try to keep breakfast light, which is also easy for me. Where I get into trouble is appetizer type dishes, and portions. In general I find if I stay away from all fried foods and not eat to being STUFFED I can maintain or even lose a little. I can be satisfied with a glass of wine at dinner and and sharing a dessert when we decide to get one. I wear a fitbit and find I am on the move a lot more which allows more calories, I try to eat around maintenance and with the extra activity calories I may only have a few days where I really go over.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want and just keep on track once I'm back.

Vacations don't mean you HAVE to overeat. They also are rare things. Weight loss is about a lot more than a holiday or a vacation.

Just free yourself and enjoy.

Now if you're afraid letting go on a holiday is going to spark a huge binging problem for weeks to months afterward, than that's another matter entirely.
  • Swinggrrl
    Swinggrrl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Naw, I'm not going to be crazy about it.. I definitely believe in enjoying life. Was just looking for some good tips & tricks. I'll be celebrating my 31st birthday while I'm down, so THAT is going to be a free meal lol. I hope to maintain... if I lose, that would be AMAZING!