Keto help. Not losing weight!!

Options
Hi guys,

I'm 5'7 and 69kg and started a ketogenic diet 3 weeks ago but haven't lost any weight! I know I don't have a lot to lose but I'm finding it very frustrating. I'm reading a dark purple on keto sticks. My measurements went down initially about half an inch all over but no size has been lost since.
My ratios are 20g carbs (which I am way under on), 85g of protein and 119g of fat with a calorie intake of between 1450 and 1600. I have seen on a lot of forums that people are just not hungry on this diet but while not always starving I find I am really hungry and can sometimes feel a bit shaky. I have tried increasing my calorie intake but my weight went up a bit. I'm a bit of a grazer so maybe this is a problem? My fat mostly comes from dairy (which I love) but have read that for some people it can hinder weight loss?
I work out 3-5 days a week which includes hour long hikes/runs and increase my ratios on days I work out.
I have previously spent most of my dieting life on very calorie deficient diets (seemed to be the only way I could get weight off) eating between 700 and 1000 calories a day. I have also suffered mildly from bulimia on and off in my adult life and am just wondering if I have done myself damage. I must say this diet has been great for controlling this and it seems to have removed any urges to binge/purge.
I also have an under active thyroid condition which I take medication for.
Any help/suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks!

Replies

• ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Honestly I had a friend try this and never lost anything. I know that's not helpful.
  • buddybopper
    Options
    Sounds like your thyroid condition is holding you back. Hormonal imbalances can affect your weight. I have no advice on this matter, but you should consult your doctor or dietitian.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Your medical condition could be to blame, but also it could be water retention from working out. I find that if I work out hardcore, I gain the next day, but it comes right back off within 2 or 3 days. How is your water intake? Are you drinking enough of it? I drink between 12-15 cups of water a day, sometimes more than that.
  • annie1977
    Options
    I'm drinking 2-3 litres a day. I'm weeing all through the day and night!haha I have not worked out since Tues thinking I might have been putting my body under stress but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I'm so frustrated. I don't want to go down the restrictive calorie path again but I don't know any other way to hit my goals.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking 2-3 litres a day. I'm weeing all through the day and night!haha I have not worked out since Tues thinking I might have been putting my body under stress but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I'm so frustrated. I don't want to go down the restrictive calorie path again but I don't know any other way to hit my goals.

I wouldn't restrict. Why not figure out your TDEE, minus about 250 calories from it and eat that? There's many calculators out there that can help with that.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents regarding whats going on:

1) Ketogenesis is what your body reverts to when it is deprived of carbohydrates long enough for your glycogen depots to be depleted and there are no longer substrates available to regenerate glucose (gluconeogenesis). As such this sets you up for a bout of hypoglycemia which is most likely why you are hungry and shaking.
    2) Hypoglycemia stimulates release of hormones (glucagon, catceholamines like norepinephrine are what cause you to shake when your blood sugar gets low and cortisol) which all work together to try to raise your blood sugar, but as they have no way to get the job done, they just keep getting released.
    3) Cortisol feeds back on the hypothalamus in your brain and one of its actions is to inhibit the release of TRH( Thyrotropin releasing hormone) which normally causes your thyroid hormone levels to increase.

Essentially keto diet=increased cortisol=decreased thyroid hormone. I don't know the etiology of your hypothyroidism but there is a good chance that a keto diet could be exacerbating the problem. Regardless of it's effect on your thyroid, keto diets are unhealthy (can be downright dangerous as severe hypoglycemia can cause you do go into a coma) and don't produce long term results. Just my opinion, hope this helps.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and 69kg and started a ketogenic diet 3 weeks ago but haven't lost any weight!

Ketosis doesn't mean weight loss, it just means...ketosis.

Bottom line, you're eating too much for your activity level and aren't in a caloric deficit.
    I have tried increasing my calorie intake but my weight went up a bit.

Yep, that clinches it.