Satisfied with smaller portions of favorite treats?

Options

Replies

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    It depends on the food. I can eat 2 oreos, and be fine. I can eat one handful of chips and stop. Other foods are trigger foods for me, and I eat the whole package before I stop. And some foods aren't worth the calories, so I don't eat them at all.

I totally agree with this. I can easily pass up certain treats because they're alright and don't really appeal to me, but icecream is just absolutely delicious! And because its so good I don't want to cut it out completely, I just want to be able to enjoy a reasonable portion without going overboard.

Same with me , I could eat the 1/2 cup then half hour latter I'm Still thinking of it and tasting it , then I get another 1/2 cup thinking I can adjust, then BAM I just 1/2 cupped the 1/2 gallon gone.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm sure if you try really hard and foster a new habit.

For me, I've decided my definition of moderation is to stay away from my trigger foods as daily habits, but when I do have them give myself free reign. I'm not at all interested in having a half cup of ice cream nightly, or two ores a day; I'd rather eat a quarter of a gallon twice a month, or a whole pack of oreos every once in awhile, and then move on.
  • kmb1282
    kmb1282 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find that I have the most difficult time with salty foods... last night at the movies I couldn't say "no" to the theater popcorn + butter.. even the small was a ton of calories. I'm thinking about starting to bring my own popcorn but being a rule follower I am nervous about "sneaking" food in. Anyone else have any ideas?
    For other items I buy based on size of servings, if it isn't worth it I just don't purchase it... this way I don't have to worry about it!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    I find that I have the most difficult time with salty foods... last night at the movies I couldn't say "no" to the theater popcorn + butter.. even the small was a ton of calories. I'm thinking about starting to bring my own popcorn but being a rule follower I am nervous about "sneaking" food in. Anyone else have any ideas?
    For other items I buy based on size of servings, if it isn't worth it I just don't purchase it... this way I don't have to worry about it!

There is so much you can do with popcorn to make it flavorful, and keep it low in calories. My wife has gotten into the habit recently of buying plain popcorn, spritzing it with butter flavored cooking spray, and topping it with all kinds of interesting seasonings.

I'm a big film fan, and I LOVE the movies. I don't eat during them much anymore, but I grew up sneaking stuff in. Paying for three kids, plus herself, at the movies was expensive enough growing up, and my mother was not about to blow her budget on the overpriced concessions (though that's how the theaters make most of their profit). She use to go down to the local dollar store, pick up a few bags of chips, or popcorn, and cookies, put them in her large purse, and we'd snack on that in the movies. If you feel wrong doing it, I understand and respect that. But it's definitely a great way to save money and control what's available to you during a film.
  • foozletoozle
    foozletoozle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have found having just a little bit of my favorite item is much better for me than not having any of it at all. If I wait then I begin to crave it, and once I start craving something I have a hard time with portion control.

42711622.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Can you learn to be satisfied with smaller portion sizes of your favorite treats overtime? For instance I love icecream, and if I could be satisfied with the 1/2 cup serving that would be no problem, but it's just so hard to have the 1/2 cup and have that be it! Maybe it's because I'm so used to having bigger portions when I do indulge and I've become accustomed to that. So has anyone successfully learned how to be satisfied with less bites? Lol

No, I can't. That's why I try to avoid them, unless I am sure I'll not be doing much harm by eating them. I try to behave as good as I can for a longer time before allowing myself my favourite treat. For example, I only allow myself a pizza once a month, but if I have it, I'm having whatever pizza I want, with toppings, and french fries. Then the next day everything's back to normal. For particular foods I can allow myself small portions, such as cereals, snacks and so on, but if it's something that has too many calories and I can't control myself around it, I can't incorporate it within my everyday diet. I am not the best in giving opinions about this, anyway, since last Christmas I pretty much forgot about this all and ate everything I wanted for 3 weeks :/
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I found that after measuring some of my favorite foods out in servings they just are not worth it. Have you ever measured a serving of chex mix? Its laughably small, idk anyone who eats that little. Same with Oreos, who eats 2 Oreos? But you just need to decide if the treat is really worth it or not, because certain things will satisfy me, while others just make me want more.

Same here. A lot of treats just seem less appealing after I take a good look at exactly what the serving size is. Some ice creams are more than 300 cals for a 1/2 cup serving. That is a total turnoff for me now.
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    1/2 cup is nothing. you could do what i do and find a low cal alternative? i switched to chocolate soymilk ice-cream which is lower cal and so i can eat more. there are so many alternatives to our beloved fav foods. also, maybe fatten out your fav food by mixing something with it (fruit in with the ice-cream)?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    For those ice cream fanatics, like me, who enjoy the texture and coldness just as much as the flavor....

I've found that frozen bananas are an awesome substitute.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've absolutely become satisfied with smaller portions of my favorite "treats." For one, I don't have to juggle around a lot of other foods in my meal plan to accommodate and two, having desserts sitting on the counter for multiple days has taught me the fine art of portion control instead of binging as soon as it comes out of the oven.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    What helps me is Ziploc snack bags. I refuse to pay the ridiculous price of '100 calorie snack packs' so I make my own. I buy full packages of things (this week it is Nilla wafers) and put one serving in each bag. If I eat a bag I log it - IMMEDIATELY. Usually that's enough to deter me from reaching for another bag (seeing those calories!). I also find that one little bag is actually enough. A few months ago I would have scarfed the whole box (no joke), but now a few cookies a day really does tide me over and keep me satisfied.

As far as ice cream - I make my own. And I mean the real stuff - cream, milk, eggs, and sugar. I logged the recipe in MFP to figure out a 'reasonable' calorie amount (8 servings = 231 calories). As soon as it comes out of the ice cream maker I dish it up into 8 equal portions in little Tupperware containers and stick them in the freezer. Well - 7 Tupperware. The 8th portion gets eaten immediately :smile: But real ice cream is SO rich and so thick that one little cup is plenty. And since they're individually portioned once I lick the cup I'm done. Now I get ice cream once or twice a week and still stay within my daily calories.
    The zip lock bag is simple but a great idea! It's sounds silly but I've noticed if I eat directly from a large bag or half gallon carton of ice-cream(I know), it's easy to just keep having a little more...and a little more. Maybe because the bag is big I can easily delude myself that I'm not eating "that much" lol. When I see the actual serving size laid out before me it's like more of a reality check though. It becomes more apparent that if I eat that there I'm having that many calories and well is that worth it?...oh wow I need to get an icecream maker that makes yummy icecream lower in calories. Where do you get something like that?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can, but I have to put it in a bowl, weigh it, and put the rest away. When it's things that might go bad (ie, baked goods) it's harder though... I want to enjoy it while they're still fresh, and I tend to go a bit overboard. Typically it still fits in my calories.

Restaurant food though... forget it. I'll eat the whole plate if it's right here. Leftovers just never taste as good to me (especially if it's served with ice cream, obviously).
  • Whambam087
    Options
    1/2 cup is nothing. you could do what i do and find a low cal alternative? i switched to chocolate soymilk ice-cream which is lower cal and so i can eat more. there are so many alternatives to our beloved fav foods. also, maybe fatten out your fav food by mixing something with it (fruit in with the ice-cream)?
    I did find this frozen yogurt place that makes 8 calorie/ounce frozen yogurt so I can have a whole pint for 130 calories (what a serving should be lol) and its actually pretty good. However if eat there all the time it could get pretty expensive.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    It's encouraging that other people have success though! I think part of the difficulty is I'm just not used to eating treats in moderation so it's like I'm adopting a whole new habit. I used to be of the mind that I couldn't have treats very often so when I did have them I would well have them. Either I didn't have them or I went all get out (usually icecream). Ideally I would like to have more of a healthy medium where I can enjoy them in moderation
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it helps me to simply put things in a smaller container. I know it seems silly. A custard cup of ice cream seems a lot bigger than the same amount in my regular bowls!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different.

For me, I can be satisfied with small servings of SOME things.

Brownies, cookies and cakes: I can just eat whatever amount I budget for here. These tend to be the absolute richest of my treats and I am happy to eat only a small amount.

High quality ice cream? Yes if it's really rich sometimes only a bite is fine. Sometimes I need the half a cup. And sometimes I'll budget for more when I'm planning the day and eat half the pint or make a sundae with caramel-butterscotch sauce and nuts as a special treat. Both ways are fine for me. I don't think I've struggled with this since starting counting calories.

Chocolate candy: I this is something that I struggle with. A piece is always enough until I mindlessly go back for more so I'll buy it and keep it out of reach and I'll budget a piece here and there and keep the rest where it's really hard for me to get at it.

Potato chips: No way in hell. I cannot just eat one. One bag, yes. One chip, no. I don't keep them in the house I try not to eat them when I encounter them, I can't just eat one. I can't even put them out of reach because they are just that good and I'm not able to moderate my intake.

Also, the richer and tastier something is dessert wise the easier it is for me to be satisfied and eat less. Like 340 calorie ice cream is easier to just eat one bite of than 140 calorie ice cream. Baked goods that are freshly made (either at home or in a bakery) are easier to just eat a small amount of. If I start getting "diet" foods low fat, low sugar or whatever then it becomes harder for me to say, I've had enough.
  • sitayaksha
    Options
    I just started here and I found that I am enjoying the little packs of 100 calorie snacks they fix cravings and fill you a bit . I got some that had some Keebler cookies and chocolate gram crackers and cheese it's and they are a good in between snack and very small portions and I AMA person who likes big portions lol so I really like these and they have the healthy choice Greek yogurt (which is really good and taste like ice cream a is 100 cals too, WW also has good ice cream that is not too bad I cals as well. And fiber one has good snacks too . They all help and give you a variety of snacks.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I can't keep certain things in the house. I swear I'll wake up in the middle of the night, realize I didn't finish it and get to work. So I have to buy just the serving size or two whenever I'm craving. DQ mini blizzards, for example. For other items I make just the serving size and that's how I control my portions. Mug "coffee cake", pancakes, pizza, yum. I had pizza for dinner so many nights in a row that it became like a normal meal rather than a treat. Got the idea from a thread on here within the last two weeks. LOL
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm sure if you try really hard and foster a new habit.

For me, I've decided my definition of moderation is to stay away from my trigger foods as daily habits, but when I do have them give myself free reign. I'm not at all interested in having a half cup of ice cream nightly, or two ores a day; I'd rather eat a quarter of a gallon twice a month, or a whole pack of oreos every once in awhile, and then move on.

I agree with this, and the opportunity to splurge once a month or so is already laid out- Christmas, Valentines, Birthdays, anniversary, Halloween, 4th of July, etc. Not thatI splurge every holiday, but I can, and if its my anniversary and my hubby always makes me a chocolate cake, I'm gonna eat half of it.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yes, smaller portions are everything for me. I have happily stuffed myself on basic pantry staples, so it would be pretty rough on my family if I just stopped buying anything that I might be tempted to overeat.