I'm worried I've ended up with an eating disorder

Options
I used MFP a lot over the last 18 months or so on and off to help track what I'm eating and lose weight but largely stopped when I became able to roughly guess what I need to be eating. I actually need to start gaining weight again now after losing a lot, I ate what I thought was going to be enough to do that and a week later I am at exactly the weight where I started.

I decided to log what I am eating again to see the details after other people didn't think I was still eating that much and I am shocked (and actually pretty scared) that what I thought was easily enough to gain weight eating is actually only just about the baseline calorie intake I should be eating to maintain at my current weight.

I'm honestly really worried that I've ended up with some eating disorder. It's not that I don't want to eat more, but my idea of what constitutes a normal intake of food is clearly so twisted. I seriously struggled this past week to actually physically eat what ended up being what I'd need to maintain, and I still do really need to be gaining weight too!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can sort this out? I was thinking that I could try and get myself to eat the maintenance levels of stuff and keep tracking that until I can somehow normalise my view of how much I really should be eating but I'm really worried so any advice anyone can give me would be amazing.

Replies

• SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

Firstly, I think it's really positive that you are aware of this and want to change it.

Really, your first port of call should be your doctor. S/he would be best equipped to point you in the right direction. I don't know where you are living but there may be some Eating Disorder organisations in your area that provide telephone/online support and they can be fantastic.

Wishing you the best of luck.
    X
  • GBPackerFan14
    GBPackerFan14 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, once I lost & stopped logging (even deleted my old account) I thought I was eating sooo much and was going to regain but I never did. I made a new account to track my intake for a bulk to gain and I would suggest at least tracking to maintain if you don't want to gain to make sure you are not missing out on any nutrients.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    That you can see the beginnings of a problem is really commendable and an advantage.

I would seek some professional help. There are counselors and there are also nutritionists who specialize in recovery from disordered eating who can help you plan food and behavior to get you back on track.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The first step is to recognize there is a problem and address it before it gets worse. Work with your doctor and start tracking again to make sure you eat enough without over eating.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would echo what others said but also add that nipping it in the bud is the best plan.
  • CBunny5
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone