Depression and weightloss issues

Options
Hi all, I'll be short and to the point. Do any of you have depression and struggled to lose weight before you were put on medicine? Did it hinder your weightloss once you started taking it?

I'll explain my situation a bit, I have been diagnosed with depression and have been struggling to maintain my weight, and at that, cannot for the life of me get down my last 5-10 lbs. I have a few days where they are not so stellar food-wise, but I've changed up my diet and am adding more greens to my diet to help my nutrition. I am sure I have been stress eating at times, but the worst is the sleep. I get 8 hours of sleep a night and in the last few months even that hasn't been enough, not to mention working out is a mental struggle for me lately, but I do it. I know I work out enough, doing 4 days of cardio and 2 days of strength training and it's getting frustrating. I am currently waiting to see a psychiatrist to get put on anti-depressants and am hoping this will help with with my energy levels and several other things.

One last thing: I do take measurements and I've actually gone up on measurements too :(

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Replies

• merpmerp95
    Options
    I've had really bad depression since I was 13, and I've been trying to lose weight on and off since middle school and it's never worked. Partly because I was doing it wrong, and I think partly because of being unmotivated and exhausted all the time. I started taking Wellbutrin for it almost a year ago, and I have noticed that I do have more energy than I did before. Some antidepressants can make you lethargic, some work fine, and some do nothing at all, that's the problem with drugs like that. You might end up having to try a couple different ones before you find one that works for you. Wellbutrin started off working good for me but I ended up having to take more of it a few months in. It actually decreases your appetite slightly, I lost weight when I started it without even trying or thinking about it. (although that's not the case for every medicine)
    I think that trying out anti-depressants would be good at helping with what you're saying but there isn't going to be a pill that can 100% fix everything, you're still going to have to try to keep your head up as best you can. I know exactly how you feel about the frustrating numbers and sleep never seeming like enough. I hope that you're able to get it all worked out :)
  • tjfrisque
    tjfrisque Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about your concerns. I have been on depression meds for a few years and am now on Paxil and want to sleep everyday around noon. It sucks.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    While you wait to see your doctor become your own body boss. Schedule your workout and not showing up is not an option. Dealing with depression for me makes me sad,hungry and totally exhausted. Medication makes me sleepy,hungry and totally exhausted. See your doctor keep your appointment but a pill a day may not be the weighloss journey you hope for. MFP being accountable for what you eat. Really having to record it and look at it works for me. Making myself walk/jog 5 to 6 mi 4x a week will work. My meds help me rest at night. Boss that body around and turn up the music to drown out the whining of self talk. Find your joy in the workout rather it is Zumba, running club,gym whatever but you have to move. Also keeping your mind busy and eating well helps.

You can do this. MFP is a great start.

Patsy