Why not eat like our grandparents?

Options
So since restarting MFP in December I have read many threads on how we should now be avoiding certain foods and or whole food groups.

So I wondered, do I eliminate sugar, do I eliminate carbs, but then I read grains are killing us, so is rice and fruit is poison! :noway: ...... what to eat, what is really safe, what is really healthy?

Then I thought, my grandparents and great aunts are well into their 80's & 90's and still going strong, they ate all of these things, and are still fit healthy and enjoying life.

So from now on, I'm ignoring all of these studies and fads, I am using my nan's cookbook and cutting out the snacks which were my downfall.... and getting out the bike, they always rode their bikes to work!

Replies

• Nephy07
    Nephy07 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well our grandparents (while they were young as we are), they had to work outside at the field for almost a whole day (that's what my grandma and grand-grandma told me), they were active all the time that's why they were healthier and fitter than we are. Because they were active so much, they spent all their calories they ate (and they didn't eat a lot because money was the problem and they had lots of brothers and sisters). So yea... I think you get the point :/ they were eating healthy food from the field/garden and they were very very active.
  • christopherphillips1983
    Options
    Man, I don't know about your family, but my grandfather died (in poor health) three years ago and my grandmother is about 4'10" in both height and width and goes to the hospital for health-related reasons about once a month. And I'm only 30, it's not like they're ancient.

I think my in-laws have it down, though. My wife's great-uncle is 73, looks more like he's 60, and acts like he's my age. I spent two weeks a few months ago helping him build a whole new wooden fence around his property, and he's almost as spry and strong as I am. He also lived on a diet that was like 70% red meat for several decades (he worked as a cattle rancher), drinks beer like it's going out of style, and does no real exercise. He's like a cosmic injustice. It's not just him, either; my wife's whole family is like that. They're all big, strong people, eat (and drink) like crazy, and are seemingly immune to aging.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think the older generation worked harder etc and didn't sit around watching TV. I think all things in moderation. Watch what- you eat- correct portion sizes, have good ratio of protein-fats- carbs (even if not logging you can tell if you are carb loading or eating too much junk food). I don't over think what I eat I just try to eat healthy natural foods and not a lot of boxed junk.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) is the primary factor I'd think.

My grandpa ate bloodwurst, liverwurst, pig balls, gizzards, etc. Less food per dollar I think.

So yeah, I'll stick with modernity.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My grandparents are/were all obese, while eating mostly homemade, made from scratch meals. My great-grandmother died obese, having never had pizza once in her entire life.

I eat whatever foods I want (fast food, 'processed' foods etc), but I also stay within my allotted calorie amount, keep an eye on macros and pay attention to portion sizes. You can gain weight eating any kind of food, if you eat over your maintenance calorie amount. Weight loss/gain comes down to calories and math.

Eta: I have one living grandparent left and at our Christmas party this past year it was potluck style. She ate three heaping plates of food, and then had a large slice of pie, (I was sitting next to her and noticed what she was eating). As for me-I had one spoonful of everything I wanted to eat, which filled one plate with a bit of room to spare. I also split a piece of pie with one of my kids. My grandmother and I ate the same foods, but our calorie consumption was much different.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Well our grandparents (while they were young as we are), they had to work outside at the field for almost a whole day (that's what my grandma and grand-grandma told me), they were active all the time that's why they were healthier and fitter than we are. Because they were active so much, they spent all their calories they ate (and they didn't eat a lot because money was the problem and they had lots of brothers and sisters). So yea... I think you get the point :/ they were eating healthy food from the field/garden and they were very very active.

Yes they actually had to WORK to live - farming, cutting fire wood, hauling water, etc - My dad is 87 and I notice that he does not overeat and as he aged he eats smaller meals - he also worked until he was 75 - my lifestyle is nothing like that - I buy my food, I turn up the heat when I am cold and I turn on the tap for water and I don't have an overly physical job
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    btw I loved my mother's cooking and I do tend to cook in the same manner but I tend to make it a little healthier and eat a little less but if she were here and cooked for me today I would probably eat thirds never mind seconds lol
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Man, I don't know about your family, but my grandfather died (in poor health) three years ago and my grandmother is about 4'10" in both height and width and goes to the hospital for health-related reasons about once a month. And I'm only 30, it's not like they're ancient.

I think my in-laws have it down, though. My wife's great-uncle is 73, looks more like he's 60, and acts like he's my age. I spent two weeks a few months ago helping him build a whole new wooden fence around his property, and he's almost as spry and strong as I am. He also lived on a diet that was like 70% red meat for several decades (he worked as a cattle rancher), drinks beer like it's going out of style, and does no real exercise. He's like a cosmic injustice. It's not just him, either; my wife's whole family is like that. They're all big, strong people, eat (and drink) like crazy, and are seemingly immune to aging.
    He worked as a cattle rancher. What exercise does he need beyond that?

The issue in this country isn't food. The issue is activity level. Instead of farming/manual labor being the norm like it was in our grandparents' or great-grandparents' time, sitting behind a desk and staring at a computer has become the norm. However, we continue to eat like we are farming/doing manual labor all day. The number of calories we eat has increased, the number of calories we burn has decreased. It really is that simple. But that doesn't sell books, dvds, diet plans, magical supplements, pills, or anything else that the weight loss industry wants to profit off of.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you for the most part! My grandparents had home cooked meals, drank lots of water, had gardens and ate salads and lots of veggies every day, and they have all lived into their 80s and many into their 90s. Can't forget modern medicine too, but I saw mine as more connected to the earth, and maybe it helped that that they were pretty active and didn't sit around all day playing xbox, or whatever. We can learn from the past and hopefully take the good from it, and apply it to our own lives.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Excellent idea!

When my grandma (and mother) died I grabbed their personal recipe files.

I have to say - they were mostly filled with desserts.

Overweight women in my family? Why, what do you mean?

I haven't used the recipe boxes, but it made me giggle.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Genes, genes, genes.

Both sets of Grandparents were first generation Americans.

On one side Gpa was born 1870 or so, Gma 1888. Both died at age 73.

My ma died at 54, with a body just not made for living. Her brother is still alive and healthy as a horse at 90. I am not kidding to say Uncle J can kick my *kitten*.
    My 2 aunts lived well into their late 80s in relative good health.

On the other side, obesity runs rampant. I don't know when Gpa died, but Gma died at about 73 or so. My dad due to the miracle of medicine, is alive and kicking at 77 (after several near misses health wise)

Both sets of Grandparents (or I can actually say all 3 sets, as there is a step-dad in there) lived in the same neighborhood, were of different backgrounds- Irish, Italian and French- and cooked from scratch. They intermixed in owning restaurants and bakeries, and still do to this day.

Point is, I believe we can do a lot to help our bodies fight off the ills of the day, but genes help determine a lot. Some people can cut up a pound of hot dogs in a box of mac and cheese, and not gain an ounce. Me? I get a migraine and gain 10 lbs.

We have to find out what works for our own body, given our make up, and then work with that.

(wow TL:DR :laugh: ) = GENES!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Genetics actually has very, very little to do with anything. Genetically we are all functionally identical, barring specific genetic illnesses.
  • freshmangos
    Options
    Sadly I would have to go a lot further back than eating like my grandparents.... maybe great grandparents, or great great grandparents. My one grandma is an awful cook and a food hoarder, she raised all of her kids on processed canned foods and that is something my mom struggles with to this day. My other grandma was a good cook, and they ate mostly home cooked meals with the meat that the family raised on the farm, but even a lot of that wasn't "healthy" per say. Very few fresh veggies on the plates, a very starch based diet. Overall disease has been really prevalent on both sides of my family starting very heavily with my grandparents, Lupus, Colorectal Cancer, Breast Cancer, Skin Cancer, Alzheimers, Arthritis, etc. I think the food industrialization revolution began with my grandparent's generation and extended into my parents generation, now my brother and sister and I are the ones that are trying to break that cycle by actually eating healthy foods.

I think for me the larger focus is on whole foods, meats & veg with some of the treat stuff in between. Can't say I follow a "diet" either, just because that isn't a mindset I want to teach my kids. But I do want to teach them how to eat in moderation and how to eat healthy which is something I wasn't taught and I had to learn.
  • MissMintyMoo
    MissMintyMoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My grand parents are both sides in mid 80's and have very good health and mobility, great aunts are in their 90s, again excellent health, have independence and keep their own house

None on them worked the land for a living.

I only wish to lose around 10lbs, I'm still within a healthy weight range, but feel more comfortable.

However, what I was getting at is life expectancy is currently the highest ever, more 80 & 90 odd year olds than ever, there must be something in plain old meat and 2 veg!
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    everyday for lunch my grandfather would eat a block of cream cheese between two slices of bread lol. He actually never had a weight problem, but I can't imagine that being a very nutritious meal lol XD
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Longevity runs in my family, yet both of my parents are dead now, neither made it out their 60s, health ravaged by obesity related illnesses.

Difference between my long living older relatives and their kids and grandkids? All of the older people came up in rural areas where they got a lot more exercise, and ate mostly fresh, unprocessed, whole foods. The kind of diet, and the quality of food, my grandparents were eating isn't anywhere near as available today.

My mother, who spent a good chunk of her formidable years living on my great grandparent's fruit farm, use to say that her health was in perfect condition until she moved into the city and dove headlong into the "typical" American, processed diet and lifestyle.
  • julieferg7
    julieferg7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think what it comes down to is using whole foods with minimal processing and no "fake food" ingredients and more activity. I know my nana did not keep sweets in the house and it was often too expensive so if it was a special occasion, she would make a dessert from scratch. Sweets were not eaten every day. Maybe once a week on Sunday after dinner, but that was it. Now, sugar laden foods are everywhere and much easier and cheaper to obtain and are often used as snacks instead of an occasional special treat. Just my humble opinion.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

He worked as a cattle rancher. What exercise does he need beyond that?

The issue in this country isn't food. The issue is activity level. Instead of farming/manual labor being the norm like it was in our grandparents' or great-grandparents' time, sitting behind a desk and staring at a computer has become the norm. However, we continue to eat like we are farming/doing manual labor all day. The number of calories we eat has increased, the number of calories we burn has decreased. It really is that simple. But that doesn't sell books, dvds, diet plans, magical supplements, pills, or anything else that the weight loss industry wants to profit off of.
    Bulls eye.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    For health it might be simpler to look at what they didn't eat. Lots of dyes, preservatives, and artificial flavorings would be my guess, although pretty soon to cut those categories out we'll be looking at great-grandparents. Some younger people on here probably have grandparents who did eat those things, at least in adulthood.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    No food is "the devil". Moderation is key... Anyway, my grandmother used butter like there's no tomorrow and lived till 90. But, anecdotes don't tell you anything much, except that one specific case was this or that . Also, she did die of a stroke. So if I'm healthier than she was maybe my quality of life would be better and I could live even longer.