Are you supposed to eat back your exercise calories?

Options
I'm confused. Anyone willing to clarify this for me?

Replies

• girlinagirdle
    girlinagirdle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat back half. MFP is notoriously over generous with calorie allowance but I've done OK just logging half....In fact I predominantly exercise so I can eat more (although it makes me feel good and is good for me yada yada ya). But you have to put fuel in your engine otherwise you aren't going to go anywhere.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It depends.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
  • Aes37850
    Options
    I definitely think it depends. A friend's personal trainer told her no, since she is trying to lose weight. Not everyone on here is necessarily trying to lose, some are trying to track what they eat and maintain. Definitely do your own research and try to ask personal trainers at different gyms if you can and get their opinions.

If all else fails, so how you feel eating them back and not eating them back.

I personally would think if you're exercising hard every day of the week, at least do half like a previous poster stated. Not having enough calories or fuel will definitely not help the workouts!

Good luck to you!
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you're going according to the MFP system and you've filled out their questionaire, then yes, you can. Whether or not you want to is up to you. I always ate mine back because if I didn't I felt weak throughout my workouts. I lost over 2 lbs a week, just like the program dictates. That's my results, not everyone's.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yes, but make sure you are logging your calories burned correctly or else you might end up eating back too many. Although, if you really aren't hungry, you don't HAVE to eat them back...but it is always good to have some form of protein after a workout.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options

Haha! I agree.