Starting weight training at 24 hour fitness

Options
I'm starting weight training and was wondering if anybody has a good program, using 24 hour fitness machines. I saw a trainer one time but can't afford to use a trainer all the time.
I need to know how to design a program that strengthens all parts of my body. Also, particularly want strengthen my legs and core because I was in a wheelchair all summer.
I'm swimming, walking,rowing and using the recumbent bike for cardio but still only 20-30 minute sessions because I'm pretty out of shape. I'd like to get my cardio up to 60 minutes.
I really need the strength because I'm going to start technical scuba diving and need to be able to lift double tanks and get up the stairs or boat ladder with it. They weigh about 80 lbs, plus you often have two decompression tanks to lug, as well.
Good pointers would be appreciated. It's been since about 1982 that I last did weights.

Replies

• Paindoesnthurt
    Paindoesnthurt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You'll need a trainer only to show you how to do basic exercises. Best tips I have would be these:

Do the basic movements which utlise the whole body. Don't use machines (at least in the beginning).
    Deadlifts
    Barbell squats
    Military presses (overhead presses)
    Barbell curls
    Chin ups
    Dips
    jump rope
    Pushups
    Sprints

Those are just a few of the basics.

When you know how to do the exercises correctly, I would suggest starting at a weight that is manageable. Always start light before you go into heavy training. Everyone now days is saying go heavy, but trust me, you'll need to go light, build up the tendon and ligament strength before you can go heavy.

This might be a bit advanced some would say but in my personal opinion it's the best way to get form down, get a good cardio and strength workout in one go and it'll get you results try this out!

Day 1:
    Warm up: 10 minutes jump rope or jog
    Squats x 20 reps (don't rack the bar till you get 20. Pick a weight you can get 10 with and get to 20)
    Over head presses x 5 sets of 10
    Chinups x maximum you can do with bodyweight as many reps as you can manage in 5 minutes

Day 2:
    Warm up: 10 minutes jump rope or jog
    Deadlifts x 5 sets of 5 reps (I like to keep this low rep range. For beginners it's a good thing to keep this low)
    Dips (make sure you do the lowering portion slow and controlled) x 5 sets of 10
    Dumbbell lunges (I like doing these for distance)

Then repeat.

Good to do this routine at least 3 times a week since you're a beginner.

Again, good form must be done first and this is just an example of the basics. I don't know what injuries or conditions you have.

Cardio should be done the days you don't weight train. Swimming jogging etc.

If you need more help just friend and pm me :)
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. What's wrong with using the machines?
    Also, I can't do squats or dips because I have very bad knees. Avascular necrosis nearly caused my joints to collapse and I recently had knee surgery on both. They are better but still swollen and stiff.
    I was actually in a wheelchair for many months before surgery. I'm now able to walk about 2 miles but more than that causes swelling and pain.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Free weights are deemed better for building strength since you replicate real world activities and use multiple muscle groups concurrently. For example, a leg press machine only works you from the butt down, while actual squats also work your back, torso and balance.

Since you aren't body building, google '5x5' for a relatively simple approach to building strength. Good luck diving, sounds like a fun career.
  • estud003
    estud003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said! Additionally, the New Rules of Lifting series are highly recommended. They have lifting programs and a lot of good information for beginner lifters. "The New Rules of Lifting for Life" is tailored for people who have things to work around. I've also heard good things about 5x5 mentioned above.